Sammy

1969 gt14

Sammy

I have a 1969 gt14 that I bought for $300 and I’m wondering if anyone could tell me anything about them like production numbers, how to locate the serial number, etc.... and if there is a common issue with the k321 where it knocks because this one knocks a good bit.

EFD888FA-9C65-4875-9CD3-719014B231C7.jpeg

FB8E8189-C850-4BF5-B6B8-4C7064241220.jpeg

• Like 4

gwest_ca

Can see the ID plate at the right side of the dash housing. Should have model number, serial number and possibly the Julian build date. Post the numbers and will add to the correct list.

Garry

Tractor GT-14 Serial SS.jpg

• Like 1

71_Bronco

I dont know anything about these models, but I'd say you got a great machine for $300 if it runs and works properly.

I'd start with an oil change on the motor.

lynnmor

If you are sure it is a pre-ignition knock, pull the head and clean out the carbon.  Also check that it has the correct spark plug.  If the knock is mechanical, time to tear it down before it self destructs.

stevasaurus

Here is what a stock one looks like...sorry about the Photo Bucket water mark.  

19richie66

Someone converted it to manual pto, which isn’t a bad thing. One less electrical thing to worry about. Is the grille open in the front and the fuel tank pokes through? That would be a 1969 grille. The rest are solid front. 

Sammy
10 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Can see the ID plate at the right side of the dash housing. Should have model number, serial number and possibly the Julian build date. Post the numbers and will add to the correct list.

Garry

Tractor GT-14 Serial SS.jpg

the plate says that the model number is 17441 and the serial number is 568053. 

Edited by Sammy

Sammy
5 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

Someone converted it to manual pto, which isn’t a bad thing. One less electrical thing to worry about. Is the grille open in the front and the fuel tank pokes through? That would be a 1969 grille. The rest are solid front. 

I thought it came with the manual pto but I guess not, and the grille is open with the gas tank through it so it’s a 1969.

Sammy
8 hours ago, 71_Bronco said:

I dont know anything about these models, but I'd say you got a great machine for $300 if it runs and works properly.

I'd start with an oil change on the motor.

well other than the knock it works great and ok will do.

• Like 2

Pullstart

A video of it running would help determine the type of knock :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

ZXT
16 minutes ago, pullstart said:

A video of it running would help determine the type of knock :handgestures-thumbupright:

:text-yeahthat:

Sammy, congrats on getting an excellent tractor! I love GT-14's.

Sammy
50 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I can definitely get one tomorrow morning and also how do I upload a file of more than 14.78MB?

• Like 1

ZXT
41 minutes ago, Sammy said:

I can definitely get one tomorrow morning and also how do I upload a file of more than 14.78MB?

Non-paid members can only upload 16mb. You have to become a supporter to remove that cap.

If you're trying to upload a video, it's best to upload it to youtube rather than directly to the site if you know how. Videos take up enormous amounts of server space.

• Like 1

cafoose
20 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

I have a GT-14 that I converted to manual PTO. Could you please post a close up picture of how the upper bracket is mounted to the hood stand? :banana-wrench::text-thankyouyellow:

13 hours ago, Sammy said:

Here is a link to become a supporter so you can upload unlimited pictures:

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/store/ 

Sammy
12 hours ago, Sammy said:

there is the video of the knock, also the rings are trashed.

FE97F0FB-85F4-4D2D-BC8A-A18C3672455F.jpeg

2ABFAE25-4175-4FBC-AEF1-365BFEE76DA1.jpeg

Sammy
19 minutes ago, cafoose said:

I have a GT-14 that I converted to manual PTO. Could you please post a close up picture of how the upper bracket is mounted to the hood stand? :banana-wrench::text-thankyouyellow:

Here is a link to become a supporter so you can upload unlimited pictures:

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/store/ 

There are pictures of the setup on mine. And ok thank you!

51434B3C-677E-4D8C-8874-8EA0F27E3909.jpeg

A0F3872C-357B-4011-BCDB-88E0BD37C16F.jpeg

cafoose
20 minutes ago, Sammy said:

There are pictures of the setup on mine. And ok thank you!

51434B3C-677E-4D8C-8874-8EA0F27E3909.jpeg

A0F3872C-357B-4011-BCDB-88E0BD37C16F.jpeg

Thank you! here's a thread on my conversion:

lynnmor

A pre-ignition knock would happen with the engine under heavy load, your video is of the engine not loaded at all.  So, IMHO, you have an engine in serious need of an overhaul.  The carbon and oil in the cylinder head, plus your analysis says it all.

• Like 1

19richie66

Might be able to find a good used one especially in the area you are from. All kinds if stuff around PA. Search facebook marketplace 👍

ZXT

That engine is about to put a window in the block. I wouldn't run it any more. Looks like you're in for a complete rebuild, or finding a good used engine as Richie suggested. 

Sammy

Thank you to everyone who got back to me and I’ll have to pull the engine this fall and overhaul it. Would anyone know of a place to get the plastic panels for a gt14 being the dash and console plastics?