meadowfield

K series fuel pumps....

ebinmaine

When you boys are saying Kohler pulse pump... 

We are talking about the ones that are NOT camshaft driven. Is that correct?

Doesn't Buckrancher sell that diaphragm?

Or is there more going on that I didn't read right....

• Like 1

Bill D
9 hours ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

I'm having real trouble with kohler pulse pumps right now and would pay you to make me a couple of those brackets to do a conversion!

I'm a little tight on time right now, but the mounting plate is easy to make if you have a drill press.  The pump in the second picture is a Kawasaki pump.

KIMG1106.JPG

KIMG0868.JPG

Edited by Bill D
  • Like 1

Mike'sHorseBarn
11 hours ago, Bill D said:

I'm a little tight on time right now, 

That's fine, I just thought I'd ask. I'm definitely gonna give this a try though!

sparkie333

I have 6 of these Kohler engines. ---- I might have had to replace ( ONE ) of these old pumps. Had so little trouble with them I may have not had any to go bad. -------What jet fuel u guys running in them.------

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, sparkie333 said:

What jet fuel

If you did actually run jet fuel you'd never have a problem. 

Where you run issues is using fuel that has ethanol in it. The ethanol itself dries out the rubber that's in the pump and as a double whammy ethanol also attracts water which has its own set of issues..

• Like 1

sparkie333
22 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

issues is using fuel that has ethanol in it. The ethanol itself dries out the rubber that's in the pump and as a double whammy ethanol also attracts water which has its own set of

I know that ethanol if let set for extended time will cause a lot of problems.  But I have always used gas from our gas station and it contains 10% ethanol.

ebinmaine
On 9/11/2021 at 9:24 AM, sparkie333 said:

I know that ethanol if let set for extended time will cause a lot of problems.  But I have always used gas from our gas station and it contains 10% ethanol.

Using ethanol for any amount of time causes issues.... accumulating over time. 

Using it fast and keeping e-gas fresh causes the problems much slower. 

Older carbs and fuel pumps with large flat gaskets or diaphragms like a Kohler engine can take years for the problem of alcohol dried rubber and/or "ethanol pearls" to develop. 

Where we've had the most serious and quickly developing breakdowns related to e-gas is on push mowers that have the carb as part of the top of the gas can/tank. The carb on those has a metering system that is literally a rubber flapper. That flapper is pretty small and only supported on one side instead of 4 like a Kohler carburetor or fuel pump. 

Using no ethanol eliminates the issues altogether. 

It's important to remember that many or all of the carbs or pumps in question have likely been degrading over time as rubber naturally does, in addition to the effects of ethanol. 

• Like 2

Bill D
On 9/8/2021 at 9:45 AM, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

That's fine, I just thought I'd ask. I'm definitely gonna give this a try though!

Here are some pictures that may be useful for you if you want to make your own fuel pump mounting plate.

KIMG1321.JPG

KIMG1320.JPG

KIMG1319.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

sparkie333
8 hours ago, Bill D said:

Here are some pictures that may be useful for you if you want to make your own fuel pump mounting plate.

KIMG1321.JPG

KIMG1320.JPG

KIMG1319.JPG

What size hole did you drill---and what size tap.---Please

Bill D
4 hours ago, sparkie333 said:

What size hole did you drill---and what size tap.---Please

The tap is a 1/8" NPT tap.  I think I used a 11/32" drill bit.  I don't remember what size it was exactly.  There should be a chart online that will show you the proper size drill bit.  Drill the holes to mount the plate the engine with a 9/32" bit.

sparkie333
10 hours ago, Bill D said:

The tap is a 1/8" NPT tap.  I think I used a 11/32" drill bit.  I don't remember what size it was exactly.  There should be a chart online that will show you the proper size drill bit.  Drill the holes to mount the plate the engine with a 9/32" bit.

Ok thanks------------

oldredrider

A 1/8" pipe tap uses a 21/64" drill. FYI.

• Like 1

Bill D
1 hour ago, oldredrider said:

A 1/8" pipe tap uses a 21/64" drill. FYI.

I knew someone here would know.

• Like 1

sparkie333
16 hours ago, Bill D said:

I knew someone here would know.

Great--tks.

Mike'sHorseBarn

This should work on my 857 even though there is less room around the pump than on a bigger kohler. I'm going to have to figure out a different bracket for my speedex though. Is that aluminum that you used for the plate?

Bill D
33 minutes ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

This should work on my 857 even though there is less room around the pump than on a bigger kohler. I'm going to have to figure out a different bracket for my speedex though. Is that aluminum that you used for the plate?

I used stainless steel.

• Thanks 1

oliver2-44

Clean up around the edges of those valves and soak with some penetrant. 953 taught me you can put some air pressure under the outlet valve to help pop it out (since it should seal with air flowing backwards)  Have it facing down into a rag on your workbench or it might fly into some lost abyss. 

• Like 1