meadowfield

K series fuel pumps....

meadowfield

Over the years a few of my k series have become sluggish to start and miss at high revs.

The C-101 in particular suffer from taking a long time to draw fuel and misses - running better with a little choke.

It’s a challenge to find a good cast aluminium pump, most of mine have had water in and the two valve seats are often really corroded making the pump inefficient....

I’ve tried at least 3 cheap plastic pumps. They start off well and all my issues go away. However  within weeks I will find that I can’t get the tractor to start - working through it’s always lack of fuel. Each time the pump just fails to either draw or pump - priming it helps, but it still doesn’t work right. 

I once wired an electric pump under the seat, however the noise Was unbearable - as well as the size of the thing.

so looking for inspiration on an effective replacement - has anyone ever tried a pulse pump from a later engine and tried using the crank pressure? 

thanks

ebinmaine

I haven't tried either one but I'm curious to see what others will say. I do remember reading somewhere about using a modern pulse type pump. Don't remember how they went about it.

I'm sure you're well aware of this ... electric fuel pumps vary WIDELY in the amount of noise they make. 

Just wondering if a different type of electric pump would suit your needs better. Or, possibly, mounting it in a different location to change the type of vibration given.

• Like 3

meadowfield

well I just looked up using a vacuum pump...

I thought this video was a joke at first :D   

but he's just shown me how to do what I was planning - though I have a neater way planned of execution.

btw is this guy for real? this is the kind of thing we would see on a comedy show here.

• Like 3

meadowfield
13 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I haven't tried either one but I'm curious to see what others will say. I do remember reading somewhere about using a modern pulse type pump. Don't remember how they went about it.

I'm sure you're well aware of this ... electric fuel pumps vary WIDELY in the amount of noise they make. 

Just wondering if a different type of electric pump would suit your needs better. Or, possibly, mounting it in a different location to change the type of vibration given.

I haven't found anything that is discrete and quiet enough yet...  my briggs twin has a pulse type - My Kohler magnum has a breather pipe from the breather behind the carb - so not hard for me to borrow one pump and try on the other!

• Like 1

ebinmaine
30 minutes ago, meadowfield said:

guy for real

Because of whatever character that is that he's doing I do find it difficult to watch.

He is however, quite real, and runs what appears to be a successful small equipment repair shop for quite a while now. 

Given the fact that he is into newer machine repair and I deal with older equipment I don't watch a lot of his stuff but the information that I've gotten from him has been good so far.

• Like 3

meadowfield
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Because of whatever character that is that he's doing I do find it difficult to watch.

He is however, quite real, and runs what appears to be a successful small equipment repair shop for quite a while now. 

Given the fact that he is into newer machine repair and I deal with older equipment I don't watch a lot of his stuff but the information that I've gotten from him has been good so far.

It is pretty distracting thats for sure - at the risk of upsetting anyone (not intended) is he what you guys in the US would call a ***neck?  he reminds me of a goofy cartoon character.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, meadowfield said:

It is pretty distracting thats for sure - at the risk of upsetting anyone (not intended) is he what you guys in the US would call a ***neck?  he reminds me of a goofy cartoon character.

No offense taken by me, at least.

Best definition of him I suppose might be a caricature of a redneck.

• Like 1

squonk

The Facet pump ( Napa # 610-1051) is small, quiet, draws low amps  & is reliable. I can hardly hear it run on my C-160. I do not know what the equivalent would be in Jolly Ol' England.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

I was going to suggest what the redneck did.... Yah he belongs on Monty Python but kinda knows what he is doing! 

Guessing you tried rebuilding the old metal ones? 

• Like 1

meadowfield
5 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

I was going to suggest what the redneck did.... Yah he belongs on Monty Python but kinda knows what he is doing! 

Guessing you tried rebuilding the old metal ones? 

I have previously, but the valve seats have been corroded. I've got a slightly different one in the ultrasonic tank at the moment and it looks like the valves can be unscrewed...

meadowfield
10 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

No chance of resurfacing the seats? 

Also guessing you have seen these..

http://www.then-now-auto.com/kohler-fuel-pumps-2/

I haven't tried pulling them out as they look pressed, I'm assuming the corrosion will have done a good job of welding too!

• Like 1

pfrederi

Your engines must be very very quiet.  I hear my electric pumps clicking (Facet Posiflo) when I  turn the key on.  Once the engine is running there is no way I can hear them.  Pulse pumps carry a rick that when the diaphragm fails you suck gas into the crankcase.

• Like 2

pacer

"I hear my electric pumps clicking (Facet Posiflo) when I  turn the key on.  Once the engine is running there is no way I can hear them."

My 4 pumps are like Paul sez, In fact, as a rule I pause a few seconds to make sure I hear the clicking then when started ... nothing cept engine running... and the mower deck, etc.

I dont have the Facet pump brand, but they are a copy of it. Had 3-4 of the round ones and they failed quickly but the Facet copies are holding up.

• Like 1

KC9KAS

https://www.mapquest.com/us/indiana/taryl-fixes-all-llc-420309805

Taryl is a real fellow that lives here in Indiana. I know fellows that have been in his videos and they say he is a very sharp guy on small engine repair.

I know his antics are sometime very dumb if not stupid, BUT....he does know how to fix things. If you can tolerate the "goofiness'" for a short time you will find him knowledgeable and entertaining!

I too am looking for an electric fuel pump for my 312 H...bought a new (cheap) one and it lasted maybe 2 hours worth of mowing....going electric now!

• Like 2

meadowfield
35 minutes ago, KC9KAS said:

Taryl is a real fellow that lives here in Indiana. I know fellows that have been in his videos and they say he is a very sharp guy on small engine repair.

I know his antics are sometime very dumb if not stupid, BUT....he does know how to fix things. If you can tolerate the "goofiness'" for a short time you will find him knowledgeable and entertaining!

I too am looking for an electric fuel pump for my 312 H...bought a new (cheap) one and it lasted maybe 2 hours worth of mowing....going electric now!

so you suffered the same fate as me...  I'm a yorkshireman (ask Norm - aka Stormin what the means) so try to do things frugally sometimes to make up for the bigger spend elsewhere - i.e. I've just spent $250 on sandblast/powder coat and tyres

If you can point me at a cheap chinese electric pump thats not the size of a Kohler coil then I might take a look...

tunahead72
2 hours ago, KC9KAS said:

You got me curious, so I started looking around...

Taryl (and sons), out of costume.

Image result for Taryl Fixes All Without Wig or Teeth

And in.

Image result for Taryl Without Costume

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Heart 1

meadowfield
1 hour ago, tunahead72 said:

You got me curious, so I started looking around...

Taryl (and sons), out of costume.

Image result for Taryl Fixes All Without Wig or Teeth

And in.

Image result for Taryl Without Costume

ahh so it is a joke - I feel better knowing that :D

• Like 2

tunahead72

Yeah, it is a relief, isn't it?

• Like 1

WHX??

Guy shoulda been an actor! :)

• Like 1

oldlineman

Ya what squonk said, I replaced my mechanical pump on my 1989 414-8 and I will never go back to a mechanical pump, I used a Facet pump a little pricey but you only get what you pay for. Can't even hear it when engine is running. I will never use a mechanical pump again instant starts every time! Bob

IMG_0167.JPG

IMG_0168.JPG

IMG_0169.JPG

• Like 5

953 nut
10 hours ago, meadowfield said:

valve seats have been corroded.

I rebuilt one with a Then and Now kit that had seats that were a mess. Cleaned them up as best I could, applied a little JB Weld and installed the valves and clamped them in place. Once it set up the pump went together and has been working fine for several years.

meadowfield

Is this fixable?

E3261763-517D-4958-A86A-672C58A5B2F6.jpeg.07a5b24ba4b2307e33967498f72f1fbb.jpeg

953 nut
5 hours ago, meadowfield said:

Is this fixable?

Yes, if you can pop those old valves out and clean the passages to the fuel lines it will be ready for the Then and Now repair kit.