Dan.gerous

Pushing dirt

ebinmaine

Super awesome!

Imagine the capability with mud tires or chains!

• Like 1

Dan.gerous
12 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Super awesome!

Imagine the capability with mud tires or chains!

Chains would be pretty cool.

Operator ability is the restricting factor at the moment. Trying to figure the most efficient way to do it.

At the minute I just push into the middle and move over a wheel track at a time until I have done a 360 around the pile. I did about for different piles to keep the runs short and overlapped each area a bit.

Didn't bother angling the blade to either side, just kept it straight in the middle.

• Like 2

Stormin

Looks like it's been as wet that side of the Solway as this, Dan.

• Like 1

Dan.gerous
48 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Looks like it's been as wet that side of the Solway as this, Dan.

It's been on and off all day, we managed to get the pigs fed before the first downpour then I pushed mud about between showers and cups of tea.

oliver2-44

Add some tire chains and the Kubota will have trouble keeping up :auto-dirtbike:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Dan.gerous
9 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

Add some tire chains and the Kubota will have trouble keeping up :auto-dirtbike:

I had the Kubota out this morning doing some trials. It's impossible to grade that yard with the bucket, you have to have a blade with the ability to trip when it hits a rock.

The wheelhorse kicks ass so far.

Liking the blade without the rubber on it, so much better even on the tarmac. I wonder if putting the rubber back on but having it only half an inch below the wear strip might work better, before it was about two inches.

Stormin

1/2" below the wear strip is the maximum I'd go. 2" is way to much in my opinion. The rubber I have for mine is about 3/8" thick I think. Not that I have it fitted.

• Thanks 1

Dan.gerous
2 hours ago, Stormin said:

1/2" below the wear strip is the maximum I'd go. 2" is way to much in my opinion. The rubber I have for mine is about 3/8" thick I think. Not that I have it fitted.

That's reinforced my thoughts on it, the rubber just bends and didn't do it's job properly. It was like that when I brought it, so will keep experimenting to find the best setting - will move the holes before I put it back on for scraping the concrete pig pens.

It makes a big difference which of the four settings you have the blade angle at, but it's a case of knowing where the best angle is for a given job.

When cleaning concrete I find it worked better if you went faster. Pushing the dirt in the yard is different though, that's first gear and about 1/3rd throttle because of all the rocks tripping the blade.

All good fun though 😁

ebinmaine
26 minutes ago, Dan.gerous said:

1/3rd throttle

Just be conscious that these are air cooled engines with splash oil systems.

They should always be at 1/2 throttle or more when "under load" which is really anything but a dead stop.

Good to see you're experimenting and learning what the plow and tractor has for capability and idiosyncrasies. 

• Thanks 1

Dan.gerous
11 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Just be conscious that these are air cooled engines with splash oil systems.

They should always be at 1/2 throttle or more when "under load" which is really anything but a dead stop.

Good to see you're experimenting and learning what the plow and tractor has for capability and idiosyncrasies. 

Thanks for that advice, will keep the revs high and the gears low.

This tractor can't select low range which makes keeping the speed down more difficult, but other than the rocky yard I keep the revs high most of the time.

• Like 1