JoeM

What have you used JB Weld for?

JoeM

This is what I found yesterday.

Working on replacing an axle seal, I was very much surprised to find out the PO used JB Weld to hold / repair a worn hub. An interesting thing was the epoxy was the reason the seal failed. If the PO would have been more careful, I think the thing would have lasted a long time. When they installed the worn hub It allowed the epoxy to get pushed back into the seal area. The hardened epoxy ruined the seal,. I had to use a puller to remove the hub, and it did not come easy for the entire length of the shaft. Measuring the hub it was about .003 loose. Amazing stuff old JB!

I did not get any pictures of the epoxy, but the puller is a front wheel drive bearing puller I got on the bay on the cheap. It works well.

1880638011_FrontWheelDrivePulleronWHHub1.jpg.c9bd45d775427578afa0e6b925be197e.jpg

Edited by TractorJunkie
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

Just used it a couple days ago to seal some plugs in my "new" early 70's sailboat... Stuff is amazing!

peter lena

savlaged a w/h nelson muffler with it , came out well, pete

Cvans

Used it to repair the stem on a cowl lamp for the 1930 DeSoto. Thin fiberglass strips and JB weld and it looks like new. Well almost. 

The stem was cast and a bit rough so the repair blended well as did the color. Seems to be quite strong also. 

Edited by Cvans
  • Like 1

edgro

Repairing wiring that has been rubbed thru the insulation, if its in an inaccessible spot. Like liquid electrical tape. But hardens a lot faster. And Its thicker

WHNJ701

just used it on the shifter boot on my mustang where the plastic mounts broke from the metal clips, should last another 25 years

Lee1977

I've used the JB original for years It will hold up against gas for 3 or 4 years. Used it for body filler, but you need to work it close before it hardens. It is tough to sand, best used for small areas. It also works well with a lot of plastics and nylon fittings that I attach to a plastic barrel when making a sprayer. I used it on a lavatory drain as the new drain was 1/4" smaller then the old and it had a couple rough places I though might leak.

Can't remember all the things I have used it on.

• Like 2

JoeM
7 hours ago, edgro said:

Repairing wiring

Now that is a new one for me. :eusa-think:

953 nut

Many years ago while living in Florida I did a restoration on a 1919 American LaFrance fire engine which had been on the museum floor on display for a few decades. All of the fluids had been drained, but some salt water must have remained in the engine's water pump. When the pumper was drafting water from a river or the ocean some of the fire fighting water would be valved into the engine cooling system to prevent overheating. The majority of the lower half of the pump was gone and I was unable to find a replacement. I removed the brass impeller from the pump and packed it with modeling clay to create the cavity around the impeller then put the impeller back in and built the pump up with a quart of JB Weld. Following the restoration I had the pleasure of driving the LaFrance in a few parades and even got to pump some fresh water with it (no more salt water). The water pump worked great!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

grinchsr

I used it to seal my cracked 396 block.  It was still in place when I replaced the block 2 years later

• Like 3

Mickwhitt

I use it to make the "castings" for my model machine tools. I make a milled metal base for the cast part then build it up with jb weld to make it appear like a casting. 

I will dig out a photo.

Mick 

peter lena

EDGRO, reading about your wire chafing issue , and  jbweld,  i have all of my wiring incased in  " wire wrap " https://www.google.com/search?q=wire+wrap&sxsrf=ALeKk00RVOAYorvU0XJwfCB0zMhwaRUTkg:1591536076656&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiD9_vz5e_pAhXzlXIEHVBHBPkQsxh6BAgNECw&biw=1024&bih=625  you can get it in any color  or size grade you want , makes wire protection simple and easy , pete

geezer88

Back in the mid 90s I noticed the rotor of my 5' brush cutter was loose.  I took it apart to inspect the tapered splines.  Yikes!  The hub and axle splines were badly worn and looked terrible.  I de-greased the parts and re-assembled with JB.  I tightened the nut as tight as I could get it.  It still is working fine inspite of routinely hitting stumps and mowing down 2" diameter oak saplings.

I also was given a fancy espresso machine that had a broken steam valve made of plastic.  I don't drink espresso, but the challenge to fix the valve was on.  I screwed a new brass barb into the thin plastic housing enough to keep it aligned, then gobbed JB al around the barb and valve body to build it up thicker.  Haven't used that thing much, but so far it is working.

tom

• Like 2

bc.gold

A buddy had a Grey market tractor that he could not get a water pump for the engine, I sourced out a seal having the right size to fit the pump shaft but to small for a housing. Used J.B. weld as a filler then machined to fit once it cured.

john Crane the bathtub and toilet people manufacture seals of every description, water, gas, oil and petroleum. If  you know the dimensions chances are they'll have a replacement.

Edited by bcgold

edgro

Have used to repair concrete floor, small damage spots. Color matches pretty good

adamscott

While replacing an axle seal, I discovered that a previous owner had used JB Weld to repair a worn hub. The epoxy, however, can you sand jb weld led to seal failure as it got pushed into the seal area, making removal difficult. Despite the mishap, the front wheel drive bearing puller I used worked effectively.

Wayne0

I broke the handle off my old Delta chop saw and found out it's unobtainium. Patched it back together from the inside with JB Weld and strips of fiberglass cloth.Rock solid!