Mickwhitt

What did you do today?

ranger
7 hours ago, wallfish said:

Yeah, online sales delivered to your door is definitely the new thing now. It's just too easy and plenty of impulse buying too. Shuts down the small business guys as they can provide exceptional service but not at the discounted costs. You could've saved 2 hours of driving around and clogging up the streets to make room for ALL of those delivery trucks. LOL  My daughter, SIL and grand kids order stuff all the time and some days there are 4-5 different deliveries. So much for carbon footprints, greenhouse gasses, pollution and climate change! All of which they complain about. There's always pros and cons to everything. 

So much for carbon footprints!!!  Over here , one of the larger delivery/carrier companies send out emails informing you when your package is likely to arrive. They also give you the option of reducing the ‘Carbon Footprint’ by driving to their nearest depot and collecting it yourself?? How does this work if I make a special journey to collect a package deliberately left behind at the depot that would have otherwise been keeping company  with 100’s of other items, in a vehicle that most likely would be in my district delivering anyway? 

Edited by ranger
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

rjg854

Now you're using common sense, there seems to be a lack of that now-a-day.  

• Like 2

Ed Kennell
11 hours ago, wallfish said:

There's always pros and cons to everything. 

Unfortunately many look only at the pros and ignore the cons.     

Some form of energy must be used to turn those electric producing generators,   sun, wind, hydro, coal, oil, gas, nuke   all have some cons.

The 16 lbs. of lithium required to make a typical electric auto battery   requires the mining of 300,000 lbs of  earth.     :angry-tappingfoot:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 2

8ntruck

Finally  found a 5/8-11 tap in town.  Was at the TSC store.

There were 3 of those mini-Jeeps that @Pullstart posted about the other day sitting in front of the store.  Those things sure are cute.  Front engine, rack & pinion steering, hydraulic brakes, some sort of automatic transmission.  Not sure if the are front wheel, rear, or all wheel drive.

My 5' 11" 220 pounds even fit into it.  Steering wheel between the knees sort of position. Better be friendly with your passenger.  I think my wife and I would be a press fit in the seat width wise.

• Like 2

Pullstart
46 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

Finally  found a 5/8-11 tap in town. 

I bet I have one!

ohiofarmer

I kept busy the last three days " helping" a top flight roofing company for my house. I will show you some of their equipment in use. 

First is the use of aluminum pump jacks . The picture also shows the project is cut up into many planes and shapes. 

Then there is the roofing buggy. A self propelled platform that also opens to put a pickup truck full of roofing material. Then it can dump that material directly into a dumpster.

Because I also had the company install soffet and facia, they furnished new 2x6 gutter board and framed suitable 2x2 support to level soffet back to the house. By combining pump jack supported walk planks and a knuckle boom man lift, they had two crews at once replacing rafter tails where needed and making my tired old house as straight as a rifle shot. 

Their equipment trailer was full of Milwaukee battery tools of every description. As a retired carpenter who is now off the ladders, I can recommend them for any exterior remodeling in the Preble  Darke Miami counties. You find crews like this by asking at a locally owned lumber yard. I will be happy to refer them with a PM

Three days with plenty of men all staying busy. They put in two twelve hour days to get the roof dried in with approaching rain

IMG_20231016_111812.jpg

IMG_20231012_190149.jpg

IMG_20231012_111419.jpg

IMG-20231016-WA0001.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4

davem1111
31 minutes ago, ohiofarmer said:

I kept busy the last three days " helping" a top flight roofing company for my house. I will show you some of their equipment in use. 

[...]

House looks great!

I also enjoyed seeing that rich black Ohio farm soil across the road. It reminds me of growing up in that area (I think I mentioned this before but I was born in Dayton and my grandparents' farm was between Lewisburg and Brookville...).  I'll bet you can smell that from your front porch when it's freshly plowed. :greetings-clappingyellow:

• Like 2

8ntruck
On 10/15/2023 at 10:06 PM, Pullstart said:

I bet I have one!

I bet you do, too.

However, you are about a 13 hour drive from our Mo. location. 

• Haha 2

8ntruck

Visiting our woods in Ky. for a few days this week.  Got a couple of new toys:

20231017_140249.jpg.bddda063c4783b7ab2043eec3951b1d3.jpg

A 20" Farm Boss and a pair of safety chaps.  I'm working in an area without a cell signal, alone, and several hundred feet into the woods from the street and neighbors.  Figured the chaps would be a very god thing to have.

Used the saw today take a few of trees down, clean up some storm damage, and work on cleaning up some old tree tops that were left behind when dome logging was done on the property before we bought it.  Wore the chaps, but didn't use them - just as it should be.  

20231017_170146.jpg.b6a4a018af4ad1143965bdc3ef10324b.jpg

20231017_165825.jpg.687f513fffd926fa96bb7b6661f37f65.jpg

The plan is to start building on the property next spring.   A wood stove will be involved, so having some pre cut will be helpful when we (hopefully) winter there next year.

With the amount of scratch I'm piling up, it looks like I'll need a chipper sooner rather than later.

• Like 5

Handy Don
13 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

chaps would be a very god thing to have.

Along with hand, head, ear, and face protection!

Yeah, takes effort and it gets sweaty when its hot out. On the other hand, it is easy to find examples of bad outcomes from users without good protection.

I still consider my chainsaw the only tool I own that is trying to maim me.

• Like 4

Ed Kennell

Auction picks this AM.

104_2475.JPG.120b7f3cea9809b097ecf52f704afb5e.JPG

• Like 6

davem1111
3 hours ago, Handy Don said:

[chaps would be a very god thing to have.]

Yeah, takes effort and it gets sweaty when its hot out. On the other hand, it is easy to find examples of bad outcomes from users without good protection.

Yeah, I laugh, but it's not really that funny... only because I didn't lose any blood... every time I look at several pairs of shorts I have that are chewed up because I got the chain too close to my leg while it was still moving. I have a pair of leather chaps - I should see if they still fit (they're the kind that wrap all the way around and zip up).  If they don't I should get some of the ones pictured.  Are they made of Kevlar?

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, Handy Don said:

consider my chainsaw the only tool I own that is trying to maim me.

I was taught at a young age that the day I lose the fear/respect for a tool is THE day I should stop using it. 

Complacency is a HUGE cause of personal injuries.  

• Like 1

Handy Don
48 minutes ago, davem1111 said:

Are they made of Kevlar?

Mine are a kind of sturdy synthetic canvas outer and kevlar layers inside. The idea is that the tough fibers shred and jam the teeth of the saw  blunting the cutting teeth and stopping the chain. They work. Check out YouTube for demos. 

• Like 1

8ntruck
4 hours ago, Handy Don said:

:text-yeahthat:  I class my 8N tractor as a tool that is out to maim me as well.

• Like 3

19richie66

I think everything that I own is trying to financially ruin me :confusion-shrug:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

8ntruck

Spent a good part of yesterday out in our woods playing chainsaw Jenga with a pile of tree tops the folks who logged the property before we got it left behind.  Probably cut up a couple of face cords worth of wood.  

On the way back to our hotel after dinner, we came across a couple of women struggling with a flat tire.  Stopped to help them.  They had a folding cross type lug wrench, and a borrowed scissor jack from a compact car under a mid size SUV.  The jack was too short and the folding lug wrench didn't provide enough leverage to break the lug nuts loose.  I ended up getting the jack and lug wrench out of my Ram 1500 to do the job.  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

bds1984
On 9/13/2023 at 7:27 PM, lynnmor said:

I'm thinking a valve is sticking.  Did you clean out the valve guides and check the clearance for the valve stems?  Maybe new valve springs would help.

The valves weren't really that dirty, which surprised me.  Everything was pretty clean.  I would think that if there weren't enough clearance on the valve stems I'd be having more issues that this singular one once the engine warmed up; starts easily when cold and hot, even when it is 90+ degrees out, no decrease in power, or backfiring.  I'm thinking an ignition issue.  When the tractor is still, but running, it is fine until I go over a bump and seems like the coil throws a fit.  Maybe it is the coil, not so sure, I'll have to take a multi-meter to it and measure resistance and shake it a few times.  I am considering going with a new coil and electronic ignition via a Gammatronix unit.  Time will tell, when the snow starts flying, I'll go through it more closely.  

Sparky

My longest ride this year, did it with my younger brother Steve…kinda bummed that it’s getting colder and pedaling season will soon be over. 

IMG_0372.png

IMG_0362.jpeg

IMG_0363.jpeg

• Like 6

SylvanLakeWH
11 minutes ago, Sparky said:

getting colder and pedaling season will soon be over.

Or...

get fatty tires and ride through the snow... :banana-skier:

image.jpeg.1a867002614fa5cc6342ee6b39b6d68a.jpeg

:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Excellent 2
  • Haha 4

ebinmaine

It's the BBT'S birthday today so she was off work.  

Doing her usual not setting still stuff. 

I picked up a few things at an auction today. 

Some shelving. 

3 ft wide, 18" deep, 7+ ft tall. 

2 sets. 

IMG_20231019_181221.jpg.b546d6191eeeef2ba182caa486ac5ae7.jpg

Also got this work desk which I understand was used as a shipping counter. 

IMG_20231019_181215.jpg.e2afbb312bdd79c88fe4b9ed46a98f1b.jpg

We got a refrigerator for the future Momma apartment downstairs too. 

Neat find here. 

This vise. 

Likely I'll start a thread to identify what it was built for. 

Only visible marking is:

GM

IMG_20231019_181231.jpg.5ce005df7a4da3b7d182bf8ffacecd51.jpg

We ended the day with a nice fire.  

IMG_20231019_200626.jpg.ab2c09f0071e3b6e89f1443978f7e517.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

8ntruck

That vice looks like a quick release machinists vice.  Might have been used in conjunction with a jig in a manual machining production set up.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
21 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

That vice looks like a quick release machinists vice.  Might have been used in conjunction with a jig in a manual machining production set up.

That sounds about right. 

The auction was for a gun manufacturer.  

• Like 1

lynnmor
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

That sounds about right. 

The auction was for a gun manufacturer.  

Often used in tool & die work.  Note that you got the deluxe model that can be turned on its side.

One source: Check the price!

Edited by lynnmor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1