Mickwhitt

What did you do today?

8ntruck

We've been getting the rotten egg smell from the hot water in the lake house this summer.  I picked up a new anode rod, but when I went to install it, I could not find where the original was mounted.  OK, probably time to replace it.

We ended up getting a 13kw electric tankless heater.  Simple, right?  Swap out the circuit breaker for the higher amperage breaker the thankless needs, rip out the water heater, mount the new heater, and re-plumb a little, re-wire some, and you are done.

Wrong!  The breaker box is old.  It is calling for breakers that went obsolete about 1965.  My new breaker looked like it would fit, but would not. I saw how to make it fit, but kludging  a 2 pole 60 amp breaker did not seem right - or safe.  We've been thinking about upgrading the electrical service for a while as well.  This was the final straw.  It will be scheduled for next spring.

In the meantime, the rotten egg smell will be handled with flushes of the water heater.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

adsm08

Went and killed myself today.

A family we know lost their 21 y/o son recently and needed help clearing yard at their cabin of the firewood pile so family coming had parking. We spent about 2.5 hours working on that today, along with some other families from the group we know them through.

I feel good about it now, I'll regret it tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Heart 3

adsm08
23 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

We've been getting the rotten egg smell from the hot water in the lake house this summer.  I picked up a new anode rod, but when I went to install it, I could not find where the original was mounted.  OK, probably time to replace it.

We ended up getting a 13kw electric tankless heater.  Simple, right?  Swap out the circuit breaker for the higher amperage breaker the thankless needs, rip out the water heater, mount the new heater, and re-plumb a little, re-wire some, and you are done.

Wrong!  The breaker box is old.  It is calling for breakers that went obsolete about 1965.  My new breaker looked like it would fit, but would not. I saw how to make it fit, but kludging  a 2 pole 60 amp breaker did not seem right - or safe.  We've been thinking about upgrading the electrical service for a while as well.  This was the final straw.  It will be scheduled for next spring.

In the meantime, the rotten egg smell will be handled with flushes of the water heater.

My favorite thing about our house is that we bought it from an electrical foreman who works for a local construction company. The whole house was re-wired just a few years before we bought it, including a new panel, and 200 amp service to the garage.

• Like 2

Tonytoro416

Cleaned off the garden and got the old tiller tractor out. Hard to believe this tiller went through a garage fire 30 years ago or so. Works great 

IMG_0694.jpeg

IMG_0693.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
23 minutes ago, adsm08 said:

Went and killed myself today.

A family we know lost their 21 y/o son recently and needed help clearing yard at their cabin of the firewood pile so family coming had parking. We spent about 2.5 hours working on that today, along with some other families from the group we know them through.

Thanks for doing that.  

• Like 1

ebinmaine

This morning Trina wanted to get the newly restored woodstove in place. 

Quite the workout.  

Once the weather cools down some she'll start some small fires in it.  

IMG_20240915_111113.jpg.c6d3fcd276aa3a1a75e37a1a66cc18af.jpg

• Like 4

Mickwhitt

Another unseasonably warm day after a day of solid rain yesterday. 

So I made the most of it with  a walk along the local canal to a little village called Elsecar (pronounced elsie car).

This was a village built to house mine workers at the local coal mines or pits which in the old days belonged to that same Fitzwilliam family who owned most things around here as the major landowners and coal owner.

20240916_133049.jpg.b8ea411b79b795d4bff46302caf34f1d.jpg

This is a Newcomen beam engine, steam powered water pump to raise water out of the deep mine workings.

It was built in the late 1700's by the earl so that coal could be got from deeper underground.  It ran continuously until 1923 when it was retired to make way for electric pumps. 

One of your guys, Henry Ford?, came over here for a look see and asked to buy the beam engine so he could take it back home to the states as a museum piece. He even gave the Earl a blank cheque, but was politely refused. 

It is the oldest steam engine in the world still in its original place. 

20240916_133057.jpg.b661da09385eba1e7a82b0a00b980486.jpg

The buildings behind are mine cottages to house workers at the nearby pit, you can also see a winding wheel to the right of the beam engine and that was an emergency shaft to access the mine workings if the main shafts were blocked by fire etc. 

We always thought our industrial history was not worth bothering with, but really it's such an important part of how Britain became great. 

• Like 1
  • Heart 6

Ed Kennell

Spent the morning with my orthopedic.    Both my knees have had me hobbling around like an 80yo for a couple months.  I have been taking meloxicam but the side effects are not good.

So, today he injected both knees with cortisone.     With archery deer season opening in two weeks, I hope I can walk the 1/4 mile and climb a ladder into my tree stand.

• Sad 3

lynnmor
2 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

So, today he injected both knees with cortisone.    

The cortisone has variable results depending on the patient, did they consider the chicken grease?  My wife did the chicken grease shots for several years and they helped a lot, till they didn't. 

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, lynnmor said:

did they consider the chicken grease?

I did consider grease Lynn, but Greasy Pete  @peter lena  wasn't available for consultation at the time so I went cortisone. 

• Haha 4

peter lena

@Ed Kennell  ED sometimes  you just gotta do what you gotta do , pete 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

peter lena

@lynnmor  had both of my knees done 17 years  ago , 6 months apart , best thing ever done , pryor to having it done , was looking and listening to all the horror stories , so what I did was look up the doctor with the best satisfaction rate , make sense ? dr kambridge  is long retired now , but kept you in hospital for 3 days , to insure and verify stability / issue function , then 10 days at a  nursing home , to learn to walk/ move  with it . today they put you out with practically no learning / adapting stage . having said that , a flat roller stool turned out to be my best gain point, push / pull on your supported skeleton , is the best gain time . none of it is easy ,and requires personal desire to do something. at home therapy assistance is available , must have the self desire to get after it . recently had my l4/ l5 lower spine fused , going to have my right hip replaced , excessive wear due to lower spine alignment . 1 1/2 hr  same day , surgery , no fear at all , in a week i'll be back on line , this aint 1950 , pete     

• Heart 2

Ed Kennell
3 hours ago, lynnmor said:

The cortisone has variable results depending on the patient, did they consider the chicken grease?  My wife did the chicken grease shots for several years and they helped a lot, till they didn't. 

My wife also had the three chicken grease injections about 5 years ago.    The first two did help a bit, but she suffered some worrisome side affects after the third one.

She woke up at first light, flapped her arms and ----a doodled.     They must have run out of hen grease.      :confusion-shrug:    

• Haha 8

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

My wife also had the three chicken grease injections about 5 years ago.    The first two did help a bit, but she suffered some worrisome side affects after the third one.

She woke up at first light, flapped her arms and ----a doodled.     They must have run out of hen grease.      :confusion-shrug:    

There's a right sideways plethora of wonderful jokes there ... but this is a family show...

So I'll just be over here settin'  quiet like and giggling in the corner....

:hide:

• Thanks 1

Beap52
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

The extra eggs would sure be nice!

• Haha 3

lynnmor
2 hours ago, peter lena said:

@lynnmor  had both of my knees done 17 years  ago , 6 months apart , best thing ever done

My wife had pushed the limits for years on her one bad knee then finally gave in to a total knee replacement along with a Baker's cyst removal.  Things went well.  Next was my turn with both knees deteriorating rapidly.  I was offered the chicken grease due to the insurance saying that several options need to be tried before they would agree to pay.  The doctor and I came up with the paperwork to allow the surgery to go forward.  Had one done followed by the other 6 weeks later.  That was one of the last done before the plandemic stopped all non-emergency operations.  Each time they kicked me out of the hospital the next day due to my chasing the pretty nurses.  Physical therapy was interrupted to some extent again because of the Chinese Flu but I did my homework and the two knees are a success.  Anyone contemplating getting new parts installed should plan on doing the therapy or the results will be less than satisfactory.  They prescribe dope to kill the pain so use it no more or less than necessary to get thru the therapy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
12 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

Anyone contemplating getting new parts installed should plan on doing the therapy or the results will be less than satisfactory

This is absolute key. 

Recondition. Rebuild. Relearn. 

These are necessary to a successful change.  

• Like 1

953 nut
8 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Both my knees have had me hobbling around like an 80yo for a couple months.

:confusion-confused:                  Pardon my stating the obvious Ed,       You have already had your fifty-first anniversary of your twenty-ninth birthday so if you do the math I guess feeling like an 80 year old comes naturally.           :ychain:        Hope they can make you feel like a seventy-nine year old again.        :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

MainelyWheelhorse

Today, I was working.  I shopped Hannaford to Go orders for a solid four hour shift. Basically I look at a list of items picked by a customer. These lists range between 1-120 items at roughly 30 seconds an item on a handheld the size of a phone, scanned each in with a scanner on my finger, and pushed an aluminum cart that logically gets heavier as i go. Sometimes to the point its like I'm pushing my tractor. However, I work at a store with great co workers so it went by quick. Once I stopped I felt like I aged another 40+ years so I took 5 for a bit so I can do it again tomorrow.

Edited by MainelyWheelhorse
  • Like 2

8ntruck

We've got family coming this weekend for a visit - enough that we need the travel trailer as an extra bedroom.  Worked this afternoon on dewinterizing the water system after I had puledl it out of its storage place a bit and getting it levelled and stabilized.

While I was working on it, I noticed that it was in a good location relative to the fire circle  I also noticed that we have a couple of stacks of firewood that need to get used up..

Well, it was a really nice evening tonight, so I built a fire, dug out the weightless chair, and read a book under the awning for a while.  Thinking about doing it again tomorrow night.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Heart 5

c-series don

@8ntruck Sometimes you just gotta stop and smell the roses! 

Edited by c-series don
  • Heart 2

adsm08
On 9/15/2024 at 7:27 PM, adsm08 said:

On 9/15/2024 at 7:51 PM, ebinmaine said:

Thanks for doing that.  

Yup, regretting it.

I'm having some sort of reaction to something that was in or on that wood. Not surprising, my grandfather was allergic to pine of all things, and a lot of that wood was pine.

• Sad 1

Handy Don
On 9/15/2024 at 7:05 PM, 8ntruck said:

Swap out the circuit breaker for the higher amperage breaker

Seriously, even in a new-ish home this can be way less than a good idea.

Unless you know every piece of wire and every connection point in that circuit and you can prove that it can handle the higher load, you might be violating code and making your house uninsurable not to mention dangerous to you occupants.

8ntruck

I've been using an old Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 for general web browsing amdosting here.  Over the last few weeks, I have been getting lots of warnings from web sites that I previously did not get.  Something about an invalid certificate and the operating system not bei g able to support.

Considering that the old tablet was running Android 4.4.4, I'm not too suprised.

Today, I treated myself to a Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+.  A little different but the same.  More memory, faster processor, 5g capable, and with a SD port.  OK price as well - even though it did not come with a charger. 

• Like 2