Mickwhitt

What did you do today?

cleat
8 hours ago, Achto said:

I've only owned this car for 9months, sprayed it down with oil when I got it home. A little late to save this frame I guess. Seems to be a thing with Saturn SL's in my area - Passenger side of the K-frame will look like brand new, drivers side will be a rot box.

I notice more rust on the drivers side on most cars.

I think it is because the salt trucks spread near the center of the road so that side of the car gets it more. Also oncoming traffic will splash that side of the car more.

Just a guess, maybe I am full of BS.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

peter lena

@cleat  in my state CT they PRE TREAT  roads with a  terrible corrosive spray solution , saposed to assist  ice melting , plowing ease . realise its hard to do but any , hose under car  spraying  , also body panels , releases the caustic  effect on metal . personally have all my cars under sprayed with chain and cable spray  , followed up days later with  open gear spray . every body seam , has an oil film on / in it , also my fender wells are lubrication protected . if you just don,t care , don,t  bother ,  but an undercar water spray down , to flush off corrosive road spray , helps out . been doing lubrication car body / chassis spray down for many years , zero rust / rot . rather have lubrication in a body seam than moisture any day . lighter penetrating oil first for tracking / creeping , then heavier gear oil for insurance of penetration / coverage . just a suggestion . pete 

• Like 1

cleat

They treat the roads in town that way and therefor I avoid that area until the storms have passed and the roads are clear.

The county road that I live on just gets a lot of excess salt and unnecessary plowing.

They actually plow bare dry roads with a shower of sparks, I don't know why

• Like 1

Handy Don
12 hours ago, Achto said:

IMG_20240902_103520842.jpg.97b05660e22fe9da892b994fad029364.jpg

Wow! I can relate to the realization of driving a dangerous vehicle.

Nice work, there.

Now back to the tires!

BTW, there are only a couple of salvage yards anywhere near me in the metro NYC area--zoning and environmental regs have squeezed them out--and they don't hang onto the more “upscale” or Euro models (like Audi, Mercedes, and Volvo). The owner of the nearest place told me he needs turnover and “upscale” model owners apparently always want new part installed at dealers. There is a yard that specializes in Volvo parts but it’s about four hours’ drive away. No customer entry into the yard at all--you spec and they remove.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Ed Kennell
3 hours ago, cleat said:

They actually plow bare dry roads with a shower of sparks, I don't know why

That's easy Cleat.   It's the routine maintenance....blade sharpening.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

adsm08
20 hours ago, Achto said:

I've only owned this car for 9months, sprayed it down with oil when I got it home. A little late to save this frame I guess. Seems to be a thing with Saturn SL's in my area - Passenger side of the K-frame will look like brand new, drivers side will be a rot box.

Older Fords are like that too. The driver's side of the frame will be super clean/rust free, and the passenger side will rust out.

After a bit of research I have determined that it's because the power steering doesn't leak all over the passenger side.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Achto
23 minutes ago, adsm08 said:

After a bit of research I have determined that it's because the power steering doesn't leak all over the passenger side.

Another issue is that the AC condensation drain drips on the passengers side frame of the older Fords.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
33 minutes ago, adsm08 said:

Older Fords are like that too. The driver's side of the frame will be super clean/rust free, and the passenger side will rust out.

9 minutes ago, Achto said:

Another issue is that the AC condensation drain drips on the passengers side frame of the older Fords.

Boy... it sure is a good thing the corporate folk understand what works and what doesn't. 

🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

adsm08
16 minutes ago, Achto said:

It drips there on the newer ones too.

I had to put a subframe in my Escape a few years ago because it rotted out right where the AC drains.

• Like 1

adsm08
7 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Boy... it sure is a good thing the corporate folk understand what works and what doesn't. 

🙄

There is a job in Ford's design division to put "rot pockets" into designs.

They literally design spaces for crap to collect in the underside to rot it out on purpose.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Handy Don
14 hours ago, adsm08 said:

There is a job in Ford's design division to put "rot pockets" into designs.

They literally design spaces for crap to collect in the underside to rot it out on purpose.

I'm trying to imagine a LinkedIn job description for such a position.

In defense, though, I worked in the nuclear engineering department of a big construction company. It was intensely challenging to coordinate and synchronize the different disciplines.

A couple of my favorites were: the 24” wide by 6” high electrical tray planned to cross a catwalk at a height of 38 inches (hey, it cleared the handrails!), and the 18" high pressure steam pipe that was supposed to go through a reinforced concrete wall but the plans for the wall omitted the necessary hole. I’m sure @Ed Kennell’s work on turbine engineering gave him a whole separate thread’s worth of near misses.

• Like 2

Mickwhitt

My peugeot 208 had the sound of water "sloshing" about somewhere whenever I went round a roundabout. I couldn't place where but it turned out when it rained, water ran down the front scuttle and into the inside of the bulkhead members. There were rubber drain plugs at each side to allow water to escape naturally.  But they get stopped up with crud and you end up with an extra water tank on board. Why on earth would you think that was a good idea, unless it was to allow the chassis to rot from within. French engineering my foot.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

19richie66

Took a lot of pictures at the show of decals and dash panels. It payed off. Worked on the C series dash plates and got these checked off the list. I did have a little “wood imperfection” on the top one but at least the design works. Next is the 953/1054/Gt14 style plates. These will be used for keyracks / magnets, etc. 

IMG_5678.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 7

Tractorhead

After a year of unmotivation Break, i found again some motivation to finish my Transit Van.

so i started again up in sheet Metal shaping.

Built the First part... time to hammer it out in the real shape

FD2ED46E-56B6-48E7-A2C5-4CF4C59F82C0.jpeg.ffae469b48f4fd9597bd67c6378f7dc0.jpeg

i adapted and formed it closer to the Form i need.

0C0A56B3-82F4-4F02-A197-9BBCE7CBE642.jpeg.7e5ad5f23f3084f8f486487b4ddb2aa5.jpeg

Hammer and Dolly and several tries turns out that Way.

i mag solder it in spot by spot 

7F9BB0D9-65A3-4E14-8456-9D6AC8FE9792.jpeg.e675aa463d48019d78bd02bb82021c60.jpeg

Than a first adaption to the final shape

And allway’s a checking the gaps...

28660F0F-8995-4561-B22E-C7E451EFC46B.jpeg.b3df4cd238664eb8abe43e69532cf444.jpeg

But it occurs that the Frontgrill is uneven.

Better i use a lineal to line up the gap...

Ok on the lineal it appears even but than....

FA4C6717-4024-4591-9EAB-DB39868BD1F1.jpeg.f33e10f31b757bca2287d376d0d259ee.jpeg

Aarrrggghhhh what the Heck...

it line up with the lineal but when i mount the grill - ooops look at the uneven gap  

but it was definitiv in the Front Grill,

i checked it up with a lineal again - so let‘s see if i can it egalize as close as...

89BB8686-0A2D-42BA-B42F-5BC6C7B404F1.jpeg.8016b9327cfe129e748b207259d91e94.jpeg

better. But there when i line it up more, the right outline become a angle more than it should...

ok let‘s see if i can egalize it little more...

Close but not perfect  but because the most part of it is hidden with the Front Bumper i let it as it is.

Lots of more to work on...

B0211B82-CA87-49A6-BF61-21CE147DA01E.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 5

8ntruck

In my freeway travels today, I saw a Cybertruck on the road.  This one had the typical tinted windows, but was painted (wrapped?) flat black.  Wheels were black as well.  It actually made the truck less ugly - surprised me that that was possible.  Gave it a F-117 stealth fighter vibe.

I also saw another high dollar rig - was a Rivian towing one of the small single axle Airstream trailers.  Had to be $100k plus running down the road.

Ran across a 30(?) foot cataraman with two 500 horse outboards (color coordinated to the boat) being trailered as well.  The Silverado tow vehicle was the cheap item in that rig.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

It actually made the truck less ugly - surprised me that that was possible

I've seen one up here like that but with grey/silver wheels. 

Less ugly... yes... but not by much. 

:P

6 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Rivian

There's an electrician around here that has one. 

He absolutely LOVES it.  

GOBS of POWER. 

When it's running right......

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Pullstart

Tried to imagine the other week, was someone in this as a prank or was the head needed in nether regions?

Pullstart

I had this wrench in my pocket a few weeks back.  Then it was gone.  In my travels the other day, my phone fell between the seat and the center console, where you keep french fries.  When I reached down to retrieve the phone, the 10mm emerged with the phone!

74700315649__106F9178-5369-43EA-8080-5170AB9B0807.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Haha 3
  • Heart 1

SylvanLakeWH

Any fries? :confusion-confused:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, Pullstart said:

between the seat and the center console, where you keep french fries

:ROTF:

• Like 1

Handy Don
12 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Rivian towing one of the small single axle Airstream trailers.  Had to be $100k plus running down the road.

Closer to $150k, I’d say. Likely the Rivan had an upgraded battery and other options and the Airstream had some options above base.

But hey, if one can manage the monthly payment, who cares? :hide:

• Like 1

Tractorhead
5 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Tho idiots with the same question.... 😂😂😂😂

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
6 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

One thing I’m pretty good at is getting into the bumps and bruises section.  Another is eating.  No food down there this time… :lol:

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

rjg854
9 hours ago, Pullstart said:

the 10mm emerged with the phone!

74700315649__106F9178-5369-43EA-8080-5170AB9B0807.jpeg

Now if you could only find the other half dozen you lost  :teasing-poke:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Pullstart
2 hours ago, rjg854 said:

Now if you could only find the other half dozen you lost  :teasing-poke: