Mickwhitt

What did you do today?

Mickwhitt

As the garden project is all but done I'm back in the shop making swarf....

I made some tool hanging brackets for the community garden, I'm fed up of rakes and hoes and brushes being thrown about the tool shed.

Made some steel plates to bolt all the rail sleepers (ties) together for our raised bed. 

Just need to figure out what type of soil to fill it with now.

20240716_090417.jpg.2c752ebeaa31bf6e9d7c0ebaa1565143.jpg

20240716_090406.jpg.68651a02c15c5af36d21cf4ff8e8cbc0.jpg

• Excellent 3

ebinmaine
On 1/27/2024 at 7:04 PM, ebinmaine said:

She and I started taking a different supplement a week or so ago. 

UMARY.

Well will immediately STOP using UMARY due to an FDA recall notice. 

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/medication-health-fraud/umary-contains-hidden-drug-ingredients#:~:text=[6-14-2024],possibly in some retail stores.

• Confused 1

19richie66
20 hours ago, Mickwhitt said:

As the garden project is all but done I'm back in the shop making swarf....

I made some tool hanging brackets for the community garden, I'm fed up of rakes and hoes and brushes being thrown about the tool shed.

Made some steel plates to bolt all the rail sleepers (ties) together for our raised bed.

20240716_090417.jpg.2c752ebeaa31bf6e9d7c0ebaa1565143.jpg

Looks great 👍

• Like 1

sqrlgtr

Took a buggy ride before it got to hot...

IMG_4545.JPG

• Excellent 8

Mickwhitt

Today I mainly went crackers...

After looking at various different cars and options we decided to buy a nice new mini SUV.

We have ordered a Toyota Yaris Cross, which is a really nice self charging hybrid.

Two weeks and we will have a nice new car to drive around in. 

20240718_154658.jpg.d4dde6cf1645fb53da03169146102f81.jpg

Lots to learn as it's a completely different driving experience to a stick shift. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3
  • Confused 1

8ntruck

The dog and I made a trip to our Mo. location.  Pretty uneventful - just the normal half dozen folks who don't know how to make a clean merge onto the expressway.

I did see a couple of rigs hauling steam traction engines north bound in central Illinois.  Guessing they were heading to a show somewhere. 

• Like 2

lynnmor
11 hours ago, Mickwhitt said:

We have ordered a Toyota Yaris Cross, which is a really nice self charging hybrid.

They haven't been available since 2020 on this side of the pond.

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

just the normal half dozen folks who don't know how to make a clean merge onto the expressway.

:ROTF:

Merge? What's a merge??

That must mean either, force yourself in or, stop at a Yield sign. 

• Haha 2

Mickwhitt
5 hours ago, lynnmor said:

They haven't been available since 2020 on this side of the pond.

It's surprising how some cars do get to your market and some don't.

I was asking about some of the optional extras like mud flaps and running boards and I was told they can't get hold of them even if I wanted them! 

This one is the second step up, called the Design. If you go up to the Excel you get a lot more toys, powered tailgate, self parking, moving mirrors etc. 

This one has enough stuff for me to learn how to use lol.

Keyless thing worries me a bit as thieves can copy your RF key and steal the car.

So I need a Faraday box to keep them in at home. 

Handy Don
2 hours ago, Mickwhitt said:

Keyless thing worries me a bit as thieves can copy your RF key and steal the car.

Firstly, opportunistic thieves will do radio scans in shopping areas as people return to their motors. The Faraday is a good idea but not foolproof.

Secondly, check with your dealer, but I think Toyota has strengthened its encryption scheme for remote keyfobs within the past year. For some models, there is a second “request response” when attempting to start the car and the fob must be close to the internal antenna, lessening the chances that hack can make the car run. In the U.S., some insurers have started to refuse coverage for models that have very weak access controls

• Like 1

8ntruck
7 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

:ROTF:

Merge? What's a merge??

That must mean either, force yourself in or, stop at a Yield sign. 

The one who really got me was the lady who crept o to the freeway at about 30 mph.  I was running about 60 (speed limit) in the slow lane and cars were fast approaching in the fast lane.  Nowhere to go, so I had to brake heavily to not hit her.  What really frosted me was when she gave me a friendly 'thank you' wave for letting her in - INSTEAD OF ACCELERATING TO FREEWAY SPEED.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

ranger
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Mickwhitt said:

So I need a Faraday box to keep them in at home. 

I’ve got a card “thingy” in my wallet, it’s supposed to stop anyone from grabbing the chip data from cards etc. Whether or not it works, I don’t know? I do know that if I put my wallet down on the counter in the Tesco fuel stations, close to the card reader, it won’t accept it as contactless’. I feel a right idiot standing, holding my wallet at arms length in one hand whilst presenting the card with the other. No problem if I enter the PIN number though!

Edited by ranger

JPWH

Tested a hydro on a tractor with no motor today and will test another one tomorrow. @953 nut

KIMG0057.JPG.ce3329ff4f7b8204f9e0daa278d33d80.JPG

• Like 5

ML3

Got my Mccormick Deering engine running. Still need to repair/adjust governor cause I can't adjust rpms. It's a throttle governed hit/miss engine

• Excellent 3

ebinmaine

We took a drive and said hi to baby Jaxon. 

IMG_20240719_122821.jpg

IMG_20240719_130704.jpg

• Like 1
  • Heart 7

953 nut
54 minutes ago, JPWH said:

Tested a hydro on a tractor with no motor today and will test another one tomorrow. @953 nut

KIMG0057.JPG.ce3329ff4f7b8204f9e0daa278d33d80.JPG

:woohoo:

Jay, you are the man.   Once the hydros are test you and your son can have salvage rights to anything else you want on either tractor. I bought the tractors for the transaxles and would probably just be giving other parts from them to members who need them so will start with you. I will take what is left.

:text-thankyouyellow:

• Like 2

Tractorhead
14 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Firstly, opportunistic thieves will do radio scans in shopping areas as people return to their motors. The Faraday is a good idea but not foolproof.

Secondly, check with your dealer, but I think Toyota has strengthened its encryption scheme for remote keyfobs within the past year. For some models, there is a second “request response” when attempting to start the car and the fob must be close to the internal antenna, lessening the chances that hack can make the car run. In the U.S., some insurers have started to refuse coverage for models that have very weak access controls

The insurance thing is not only in US some even here dealing about coverage because of the Security.

Also the „dark side“ is playing to hack the security of the newer technology.

Because of more and more complexity the systems will have, they all have their weakpoints and the race is still open.

Each new „ customer friendly technology have their weakpoints some subjects try to hack.

„Hacking“ itself isn‘t the crime at all - for most of the hackers it is just a challange to find out where weakpoints be happen.

The more and easy to use the Comfort should be, the more possible leaks can be happen in a system.

Some of the new techs being sensefully but not everything what‘s new be a „good idea“ imho.

I‘m not against computers at all but in my humble opinion too many peoples give their fully trust to computers in a way i can‘t grasp.

Comfort is sure pretty nice but more and more it will be with controller and computers integrated.

The more everything be just out of one hand and too much spreaded - it can fail - especially because of lack of unknowledged or untrained customers and users.

Most of the new inventions be implemented when it will be recognized as an „coolness factor“

That is imho the biggest problem on all the „artificial intelligence“ comfort thingis -

It‘s not the technic itself it‘s the mostly some hidden or undeclared possibillities of new technologies what makes it mostly easy to hack things.

To hand over all the whole responsibility in one hands - the hands of a silicone chip and a piece of Software - without the possibillity to deactivate it completely and is in my opinion a wrong way to go..

The current breakdown at crowdstrike has shown it again what i mean.

As sugested by some companies - 

AI - and selfdriven Cars who be completely synchronized via Network for driver free interacting be not the all solved solution.

Computer is not the one and only heal bringer.

A simple systemcrash can result so in a much bigger problem as we would have without syncronizing the whole World of Computers.

Sometime things be better in responsible hands for quick individual redundancy.

• Like 1

Handy Don
4 hours ago, Tractorhead said:

A simple systemcrash can result so in a much bigger problem

Cloudstrike?!

4 hours ago, Tractorhead said:

Sometime things be better in responsible hands for quick individual redundancy

IMHO most drivers have little to no idea how their car works, expecting them to manage the more sophisticated capabilities is ...???

I once heard that it isn’t a good idea to try to teach a pig to sing. Why? It’s unlikely to work and it annoys the pig.

• Haha 3

ranger
Posted (edited)

Many years ago I had a mk1 Ford Fiesta Supersport, (don’t laugh). It was broken into quite a few times, and left with a flat battery each time. One morning it was left at the end of the road, as whoever tried steal it, tried to push start it. I had fitted a small resettable fuse on the underside of the steering column. I used to reach under and press the button to manually trigger the fuse. Looking underneath, you couldn’t really see anything remotely resembling a switch, It only cut power to the ignition coil, not the starter, so all the dash lights, etc came on, and they would run the battery flat trying to start it. With all the dash lights, starter, etc working it obviously fooled them into thinking, it was just another Ford with poor starting😂

Edited by ranger
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

lynnmor

Since this thread evolved into a computer issue discussion, I will give an example from my shop.  I have a full 4 axis CNC milling machine that uses the DOS operating system.  A file for producing a part is a simple text file so fancy windows are not needed.  I do use windows software to model and write the program, and then transfer the file via floppy, serial port or drip feed.  The last thing that I need is for the BSOD (blue screen of death) to appear while I am in a heavy cut.  My grandson thought he wanted to learn the machine since he is heavy into IT, but when I showed him the 3.5" floppy he lost all interest as it is not cutting edge technology.  Whatever, his loss.

• Haha 2

8ntruck
Posted (edited)

I used to program our CNC lathe to re-cut the rim roll tooling.  One of the lathe operators would come to me saying that the program would not load from the 3 1/2 floppy.  Said that he was getting a corrupted file message. I would reload the program back onto the floppy, and all would be good - until the next time it happened. This lathe operator was the only one having the problem.

He finally realized what the problem was.  He had a pocket screwdriver that he carried sometimes that had a pretty good magnet on it. Seems that he corrupted the disc when he put it in his shirt pocket along with the screwdriver.

Now we are way off topic.  Somebody needs to point us back onto the proper subject.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Haha 2

ML3
Posted (edited)

Flew my Beechcraft to Osh Kosh for the annual EAA AirVenture show. Meeting some friends & family who also flew their planes there. It was a fabulous day for flying this morning. Pic was taken as I was awaiting landing/runway clearance. I typically don't take pics, text, etc when I'm flying. Phones, social media, (I don't do it anyway except this forum) etc don't belong in cockpit. 

18220.jpeg

Edited by ML3
  • Excellent 2

Handy Don
22 hours ago, JPWH said:

Tested a hydro on a tractor with no motor today and will test another one tomorrow.

Please add more info on how you did this!

• Like 3

sqrlgtr

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

953 nut
9 hours ago, lynnmor said:

when I showed him the 3.5" floppy he lost all interest as it is not cutting edge technology.

My wife worked for a Community Collage and was tasked with compiling a large mailing to former students from a few decades ago that were not in the data-base files. There was no desire to add these names and addresses to the data-base as it was anticipated the many of these letters would be returned as undeliverable.

My wife brought both of out typewriters to the office (this was in 2005) and asked her student assistants to type the addresses from a roster that had been pulled out of mothballs for this project. She turned to leave the room and both of the students called her back.       :confusion-scratchheadyellow:      How do these things work?   You mean to tell me I need to put each envelope in by hand?    This will take forevvvvver!

• Haha 5