Mickwhitt

What did you do today?

davem1111
On 11/12/2023 at 8:01 PM, Achto said:

Put a new roof on the "Fake Garage" today. This is a 20 x 13 Shelter Logic building that I put up last year, well 11 months ago to be exact.  The original top only lasted 10 months before the sun wrecked the top on the south side.  Shelter Logic had a 1yr warranty on the top and was willing to send me a new top at no charge "but" there would be no warranty on the replacement top. I opted to up grade to a top that has  10yr prorated warranty, for an extra cost of course. The old ends were still good so I did not change them out. Sure hope this one last longer that the first one.:handgestures-fingerscrossed:

I've had enough negative experiences with these tarp garages that I took a vow (not a sworn solemn one though) that I would never buy one again. So far I have not, and hope I never do. That said, going with a top with a better warranty may not be such bad investment, and sometimes the budget only allows so much. Better than leaving stuff out in the weather, for sure, and they're pretty easy to move around if you want to. 

• Like 4

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, davem1111 said:

I've had enough negative experiences with these tarp garages that I took a vow (not a sworn solemn one though) that I would never buy one again. So far I have not, and hope I never do. That said, going with a top with a better warranty may not be such bad investment, and sometimes the budget only allows so much. Better than leaving stuff out in the weather, for sure, and they're pretty easy to move around if you want to. 

I've never met anyone who was actually satisfied with the longevity of a portable garage.  

We've bought two. 

The first was supposed to last 3 to 5 years. It got about 1 into it and the cover was going out already.  We put a tarp over it. 

The second one I chose specifically for the FRAME.  

I hoped it would last a bit but the wind wasn't tarp friendly.  

That one will eventually get a metal roofing cover.  

• Like 3

8ntruck

@ebinmaine  one year in early October, I realized that I had a bunch of vacation to use up.  I scheduled every other weekend with Friday and Monday off for the rest of the year.  Funny thing is that nobody realized I had plenty of 4 day weekends that year.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Handy Don
11 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

a bunch of vacation to use up

I love the long weekend workaround!

One year I was tasked with a project that made taking vacation impossible (with significant discontent from my spouse). Facing the “use or...” policy and a stubborn manager who didn’t want to be called out, I had to escalate the situation. Finally, an EVP approved a carryover and added three additional “personal days” in appreciation. Later found out that my manager was asked in his year-end review why he hadn’t found a way to resolve this himself. I found and took a transfer out of that unit a few months later.

• Like 2

ebinmaine

Hitched up and ready to go galavanting early tomorrow morning.  

IMG_20231119_160410_HDR.jpg.758f6108a385852339ab439ee5386bf1.jpg

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH
21 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

How many galavants fit in that trailer? 

:confusion-confused:

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Variable galavant capacity.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8ntruck

Been at our Ky. location since Friday.  Rented a mini excavator and a skid steer to start cutting the driveway back into our 20 acres of woods. 

Using the excavator to dig stumps out and the skid steer to push the high spots into the low spots.  I've got about 175 feet of driveway roughed out.  I'm getting the hang of the excavator.  But, I haven't found the knack to make the skid steer do any decent grading.  You might say the driveway looks good from afar, but is far from good.  Anybody got any tips on how to grade with a skid steer?  I'm not going to spend much time making things perfect, rather, I'm concentrating on getting as much driveway roughed out while the rental agreement is in effect.

The last stump I dug out today had a monster tap root.  I had a hole about 3 feet deep all the way around the stump.  I could wiggle it with the excavator, but it would not let loose of the ground.  I climbed off of the excavator down into the hole to see what was still holding onto the ground.  The tap root was 8" in diameter!  The battery powered reciprocating saw didn't help much, so I ended up with the axe to convince the stump that it was coming out of the ground. 

I'll post some pictures at a later date.

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

Skid steers "grade" best in reverse... they tend to dig going forward... :twocents-twocents:

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 3

8ntruck
1 hour ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Slid steers "grade" best in reverse... they tend to dig going forward... :twocents-twocents:

Yup.  I've found that out. 

I need to  cut down some small high spots (about 3 feet) and move the material into the low spots (again, about 3 feet).  By eye, it looks like the amount of high spots will pretty well fill the low spots.

What I am having trouble with is removing the divots I leave when cutting down the hill and smoothing out the blend at the beginning and end of the grade.   I haven't figured out how to control the depth of cut as the skid steer rocks over the peaks on the high spots.

Probably would be best to rough out the driveway with the skid steer, then get @Pullstart to build me a small motor grader out of the Wheel Horse parts he has stashed away in his magic barn to use for the final grade and crowning.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 3

Pullstart
7 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Probably would be best to rough out the driveway with the skid steer, then get @Pullstart to build me a small motor grader out of the Wheel Horse parts he has stashed away in his magic barn to use for the final grade and crowning.

C’mon down, or up, or whatever… we can put something together!

• Like 1

sjoemie himself
19 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

I am having trouble with is removing the divots I leave when cutting down the hill and smoothing out the blend

Does the excavator by any chance have a 'dozerblade' attached? Might wanna try to use that instead of the skidsteer for the divets. Seems to me the blade on the excavator might be easier to use or more precise than the skidsteer bucket :eusa-think:

• Like 1

ebinmaine
On 11/19/2023 at 4:52 PM, ebinmaine said:

IMG_20231119_160410_HDR.jpg.758f6108a385852339ab439ee5386bf1.jpg

23 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Turns out it was 2. 

I went to hang out with @JCM Jim this morning.  

Got these implements.  

Nice solid Wheelhorse tiller and tow behind spreader.  

IMG_20231120_085612_HDR.jpg.3636f34aee8c1bdd284c8b0363d7083c.jpg

IMG_20231120_085623_HDR.jpg.1a39d378c3dffc29ace1973675159fb3.jpg

Also stopped on the way and picked up some Non ethanol gas.  

Then went by my favorite small engine repair shop and got some parts for the Workhorse we're building for our friends.  

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

8ntruck

Been working on busting a driveway into our 20 acres of woods in Ky. over a couple of trips in the last month.

Here are the current tools I've rented:

20231120_163550.jpg.f3be7e36b493e166582b7dcbf48a5d7b.jpg

20231120_163701.jpg.e19bb08fac6e601491dca6dda521786a.jpg

The before picture looking from the road into the property:

20231109_140457.jpg.c4a5f7e13769cb66e594be45b3eaa74f.jpg

I started working with the dirt movers last Friday.  Here is where I ended up today:

20231120_163430.jpg.8f967fb26b0c97092a1eb348245a9624.jpg

I'm about 250 feet into the woods.  Got another 350 to 400 feet to go.

Prior to this adventure, I have had maybe two hours on skid steer/front end loaders and this is my first try at a back hoe type machine.  The goal for this trip was to get through the lumpiest section in terms of cut and fill.  Most of the rest of the way will require leveling up the road bed on  side hill.

The back hoe is actually more fun than the skid steer.

• Like 4

Andy N.

Today I went to Amish country southeast of South Bend, IN to get my annual beef butcher order. I decided on the way back to stop and take some pics of the old WH factory since it was only 1/10 mile out of my way. They looked like they were working today so I just took some shots from across the street. Enjoy!

IMG_4019.JPG.233d0029689ea19965946ae69a9a60f3.JPG

IMG_4020.JPG.9ede1f26ed5fae15104b59f112cb74ad.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Last year I made Mrs. P. some candle holders for her birthday.  Tonight, we sit in the candle light with no power.  It’s a good peaceful feeling in the silence of darkness in the living room.

6E486B0F-B45F-41AB-A48A-3C79FF48AC03.jpeg

A929525C-3E4F-4B8F-9721-9664E31C0419.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Heart 2

8ntruck

We got about an inch of rain here in Ky. last night.  The red clay ground was too wet to do any dirt work on the driveway, so I took a mile long stroll around the property.  There is an intermittent stream on the property.  Last night's rain was enough to send it into 'operating stream' mode:

20231121_121628.jpg.49467035023055633c702b33cc5bd991.jpg

Our proposed building sight is about 50 feet to the right in this view.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 5

CCW

Not today, but this past Monday morning I bought a new hip.

• Excellent 2

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, CCW said:

Not today, but this past Monday morning I bought a new hip.

You go to like a "Hips-R-us" store or something? 

• Haha 2

CCW
5 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

You go to like a "Hips-R-us" store or something? 

Arthritis in my right hip went crazy this past spring.  i am truly blessed to have excellent health insurance.  My out of pocket cost for the surgery was $10 for the co-pay.  

• Excellent 3

Achto

Wife - "You need to get rid of some tractors" :blink: 

Me - "Umm, OK. Consider it done" :thumbs2:

So as they say "Happy wife, Happy life"

Today I loaded up 3 tractors that will be headed for the scrap yard tomorrow.

Now don't get to excited gang!! No :wh:'s or :wh: parts will be harmed. Except for one half of a tranny case that is cracked.

2128115825_IMG_20231123_093804639_HDR(1).jpg.84a40df7ca7ba331acb0a7011cb523d6.jpgIMG_20231123_093751071_HDR.jpg.d917ff2535e083588e0abf6cccd996f5.jpg

With these POS's going away, I should have room for more :wh:'s. Right?? :lol:

Edited by Achto
  • Like 6

SylvanLakeWH

@Achto ya know... strip them down, quick coat of Regal Red, bolt on front hitch to steer front wheels, keep / add seats, cut steering shaft, line em up and you got your very own train... :eusa-think:

Tell Mrs Achto "it's for the children when you go to tractor shows..." I'm sure she would understand... :D

Just trying to be helpful... :hide:

• Haha 4

ebinmaine
19 minutes ago, Achto said:

With these POS's going away, I should have room for more :wh:'s. Right?? :lol:

How's that even a question ⁉️⁉️⁉️

Of COURSE you do. 

• Heart 1