Mickwhitt

What did you do today?

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, JoeM said:

Man what muffed up job. a few years ago mine got filled with roots from a nearby maple. Amazing how those trees find the good water.

Willow trees my friend.  

WOW can they screw up a system.   

• Like 1

cleat
20 minutes ago, JoeM said:

Man what muffed up job. a few years ago mine got filled with roots from a nearby maple. Amazing how those trees find the good water.

I was afraid mine would be filled with roots because a very large maple tree is right beside it.

However, there were no roots just broken collapsed pipe. 

• Like 2

Sparky

My personal best for this year…just over 16 miles of pedaling with my brother Steve today! 
  Was not quite 50 degrees…but pedaling keeps ya warm :handgestures-thumbupright:

IMG_0647.png

IMG_0639.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

We walked up Bill Merrill Mt.  

IMG_20231111_121106_HDR.jpg

• Like 6

Ed Kennell

I watched Michigan whoop up on Penn State.   Not a Happy Valley today.  :(

• Sad 1

Horse Newbie

Since cleaning the attic space over attached garage( brought on by needing access to attic floor to fish wire for new garage door opener)… I got a hankering to clean out my shop.

I had brought things from the attic of the attached garage to my shop just to get them out of the way, and to go through them and keep what may be usable and toss what hasn’t been touched since we moved in in 2007.

I have got a mess on my hands here… only thing to do now is fill the utility trailer for another trip to the dump.

Thing is I feel like I’m in a maze… don’t know which way to turn, or where to begin.:confusion-confused:

IMG_3269.jpeg

• Like 5

Ed Kennell
2 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

Thing is I feel like I’m in a maze

That doesn't look so bad.....I can even see some empty floor space.   :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

Thing is I feel like I’m in a maze… don’t know which way to turn, or where to begin

Tim ole boy. 

I learned a neat phrase today.  

To over analyze is to paralyze.  

MAN do I ever do THAT.  

Just pick up a thing. 

Consider its fate. 

Make the decision and stick to it.  

It'll be done before ya know it.   

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Horse Newbie
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Tim ole boy. 

I learned a neat phrase today.  

To over analyze is to paralyze.  

MAN do I ever do THAT.  

Just pick up a thing. 

Consider its fate. 

Make the decision and stick to it.  

It'll be done before ya know it.   

That is the method I am trying to use…

if I haven’t touched it in 15 years, chances are I don’t need it, or will never need it.

The thing is, I will save short pieces of, say for instance, 3/4” PVC pipe thinking I won’t have to buy a whole stick.  😆

Or for instance when I put in a new water heater… I saved short pieces of copper thinking I made need it on the next water heater or plumbing repair. And that’s how I accumulate a bunch of stuff I end up never using…

Today I tossed hammer heads(broken handles). I had intended to put in new handles. Pick axe heads, a section of RR track that was part of Charlotte’s old trolley system ( historical value) that I was gonna use as an anvil.😆

I also tossed a bronze plaque that was on my grandma’s and grandpa’s head stone.

We replaced it years ago and the cemetery gave us the old one.

I was gonna sell it for scrap, but nobody buys them… wonder why ?

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Like 2

Achto

Put a new roof on the "Fake Garage" today. This is a 20 x 13 Shelter Logic building that I put up last year, well 11 months ago to be exact.  The original top only lasted 10 months before the sun wrecked the top on the south side.  Shelter Logic had a 1yr warranty on the top and was willing to send me a new top at no charge "but" there would be no warranty on the replacement top. I opted to up grade to a top that has  10yr prorated warranty, for an extra cost of course. The old ends were still good so I did not change them out. Sure hope this one last longer that the first one.:handgestures-fingerscrossed:

IMG_20231112_162124945.jpg.db2539bbc3febcc33a41a4ead7509eec.jpg

• Like 4

ebinmaine

IMG_20231112_193358.jpg.dd91da3d509cf9a619681fc00ab41330.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

8ntruck

Been at our Ky. property the last few days commencing clearing operations on the driveway project there.  Made some progress working alone.  Got about 1/3 of the length of the driveway roughly cleared.

Before picture:

20231109_140942.jpg.644272eb4f47d4509927c216ffd154a9.jpg

After picture taken from a similar location:

20231111_161645.jpg.dcdc922916748ca13162ff377bfedc1d.jpg

Picture into the woods where the driveway is to go:

20231109_141050.jpg.146024f4f0c90a601cf4834ac355247a.jpg

That leaner in the upper left  is about 2/3 of the length of the driveway.  The driveway will be somewhere between 700 and 800 ft long.

Got a rental mini excavator and a big skid steer scheduled to be delivered Friday, so I can start dirt work.  Hopefully, I'll get to the point where I will be able to use my 8N with a box blade to do most of the remaining work.  Not ideal, and will be slow going, but the price is right.

In search of a chipper with 4" capacity.  Getting one of my Horses and a cart down there would also be pretty handy to help with the almost lifetime supply of firewood I'll be generating.

I've gotten a half dozen nice cedar poles from the cedar trees I've cut down - 8 to 10" diameter, 12 to 20' long.  Not sure what I'll use them for, but they are whispering that they want to be used for some sort of rustic out building of pole barn type construction.  I've even got a draw knife to skin the bark off of them.  Not too thrilled about actually doing that job, though - sounds like work.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

search of a chipper with 4" capacity

Might be worth waiting until you can rent a commercial grade one for a weekend.  They can be had with 8" -12" capacity around here.  

• Like 1

953 nut

Right now I'm sitting at McDonalds because the home internet is down and won't be fixed til Thursday.          :crying-yellow:

• Like 1

8ntruck
15 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Might be worth waiting until you can rent a commercial grade one for a weekend.  They can be had with 8" -12" capacity around here.  

That was my plan.  Looking for a rental agency that has one.  

It will be a while.  I've got to get some dirt work done first, so I can get the chipper to the brush.

• Like 1

Handy Don
On 11/12/2023 at 8:09 PM, ebinmaine said:

IMG_20231112_193358.jpg.dd91da3d509cf9a619681fc00ab41330.jpg

Whatcha got cooking? 😄

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
47 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Whatcha got cooking? 😄

This particular item is an air cleaner lid. 

Should be delicious.   

• Haha 1

ohiofarmer

The last couple of days, I took in a 318 Deere into the shop. The guy who owns it has another one that he used to mow my yard while I was in the hospital and residence rehab..

He got this machine non-running with Kawasaki engine problems. I think that this engine is kawasaki:s answer to the kohler bucket engine.

She was a dirty pig with oilsurned to grease and saturated grass. I got the Mighty Cummins started and backed it out enough to put it on the lift to raise it thirty inches to the wood floor shop. Gary had to go to a job,so I put it on the mobile work station/motorcycle lift and took all the dirt of with scraping and shop air. Then reconditioned the paint with penetrating oil.

The usual problems with these water cooled engines[I am told}  are plastic water pumps or plastic cam shafts coming apart , so all I did so far was to make a flywheel puller and pop it loose. I have an insulated shop with a pellet stove and also a sheeted off room with an electric heater if conditions warrant.. Both of us have back problems, so having the tractor at standing height is very nice indeed He wants to use this tractor for a snow blade because it is really hard to change from deck to blade. I think that even if the engine is not repairable, it would be no big deal to put in a smaller vertical shaft just to run the blade

Edited by ohiofarmer

ebinmaine

Tomorrow is my first colonoscopy. Today is prep day for that. 

My company has a reasonably decent PTO amount and it must be used every year. They're adamant about that.  

Well.. next week is a holiday for some. 🦃 Or something??

My PTO is partially "floaters" that need to surround a holiday. 

They TOLD me to take next week. 

I HAVE ELEVEN DAYS OFF WORK!!! 

I'm pretty sure I've never been off work that long! 

Today I spent some several hours organizing the barn.  

I built a couple small inexpensive shelves that were recycled to us by a neighbor.  

Moved some stuff around. 

Rearrange other stuff.  

Moved all the beams that'll eventually be the truck bed from one shelf to another. 

Rearranged part of my main tool box. 

Put a temporary Advantech cover on on of the two rolling carts I got from my work a year or so ago.  

Moved all the Mackissic chipper parts onto that. Better for working height and also the added benefit of clearing off the table it used to be on so we can use that for other things.  

Rearrange.  

More. 

Stuff. 

On and on and on......

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

davem1111
43 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Tomorrow is my first colonoscopy. Today is prep day for that. 

[...]

On and on and on......

If I remember correctly, colonoscopy prep involves quite a bit of running back and forth to the bathroom too....  Not fun. :sad:

• Like 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, davem1111 said:

If I remember correctly, colonoscopy prep involves quite a bit of running back and forth to the bathroom too....  Not fun. :sad:

Meh. 

That don't bother me any. 

It's the needle ....

:mad: :bitch: :orcs-censored: :angry-fire: :angry-cussingargument: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

davem1111

I've been working on framing and enclosing an area about 16' x 8' in my garage around my workbenches for a winter heated "tinker area".  Not in the budget to buy a heater big enough for a very deep and wide 2-car garage.  I bought the cheaper expanded polystyrene foam board instead of extruded because of the price - dang that stuff has gotten expensive!  $40-50 per sheet, 2" x 4' x 8'. 

Anyway this is a temporary arrangement. Unless I trip and fall into the wall or something, it should hold up fine. 

I also was doing some work on my mountain bike. Replaced the rear gear cassette with one that has lower gearing, because the hills have been "walk-ups" recently, since I hadn't done much riding in over a year.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, davem1111 said:

rear gear cassette

Between Trina and I the two of us have several mountain bikes. One of mine that she's adopted is a 1990s Trek. All aluminum frame. Low cross bar. Not the modern ultra light type but pretty good for its vintage. The gearing in low low is 1:1. 

It's the only bike I've ever seen that has that. (Keeping in mind I'm not around anything newer).  

Such an incredible difference between that Trek and any other bike I've ridden as far as hill climbing and slow forest riding.  It's fantastic for messing around on super rough terrain.   

• Like 2

davem1111
4 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Between Trina and I the two of us have several mountain bikes. One of mine that she's adopted is a 1990s Trek. All aluminum frame. Low cross bar. Not the modern ultra light type but pretty good for its vintage. The gearing in low low is 1:1. 

It's the only bike I've ever seen that has that. (Keeping in mind I'm not around anything newer).  

Such an incredible difference between that Trek and any other bike I've ridden as far as hill climbing and slow forest riding.  It's fantastic for messing around on super rough terrain.   

I don't know if mine is now 1:1, but it feels closer to that.  I bought this:  Model: MG-7SFW; SHIMANO-Multiple Freewheel-MTB-7-Sspeed, 14-16-18-20-22-24-34T.  I read some web pages about the math to calculate the ratios, but didn't want to get that deep into it right now. This bike is a relatively cheap RoadMaster with crappy front shocks and no rear suspension, but I got a softer seat for it too. My other bike is a Giant Yukon that I've had for about 20 years, but I put street tires on that one. Haven't ridden on the street since I took a rolling spill about 2 years ago. That hurt. I'm sticking to offroad trails for now.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, davem1111 said:

other bike

I. May. Possibly.  

Have a slight interest in older bikes. 

I think we have around 11. ??

Mostly my own. 

The newest is that Trek.  

Oldest maybe late 70s. A 10 speed road bike. 

I bought a Shogun Trailbreaker One.  April of 1989 I think. Still have it.  

I wish I'd kept my old 80s BMX and freestyle bikes though.....

HUGE money for one of the ones I had. 

Ahhh well.   

• Like 1