ebinmaine

Front bumper / carrier / toolbox. Pics please?

ebinmaine

Beginning to process some ideas for my big boy tractor where the battery and fuel tank is going to be located in the front. It will be bolted to the frame so I can change things later if I want to but the rest of the assembly will be a welded bracket. Battery on the bottom. Fuel tank on top. The fuel tank is going to be the roughly nine inch diameter galvanized riveted one that I have.

Just wondering what you all have and how it's attached or built.

Pullstart

Right around 6 minutes 55 seconds I show how the hanging weight is attached to Putt Putt.

• Thanks 1

McGrew

Eric, I cannot take credit for this bracket, as my Dad did it almost 40 years ago, but it works.  He moved boats and trailers with this bracket, and I used it as the attachment point for the winch I recently installed.  The bracket stated out as 2x2 x 1/4" angle that was cut, sectioned,  bent and welded into shape to clear the hood opening.  It attaches with 4 grade eight 3/8-16 bolts.  Hope this helps!  Danny

IMG_1358.jpg

IMG_1363.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

JoeM

an old mule drive might be a good place to start. easy to remove etc. ? 

Stormin

This mule drive with slight mod was done to carry the front weight on the Black Horse. Something similar could be done for carrying a tool box.197664690_2002-07-0201_18_22.jpg.d391d826547fa6f9559b3214efe76a55.jpg

275344606_2002-07-0201_19_20.jpg.e9e7564f7461c4025d2e2016026c5fed.jpg

• Like 4

ebinmaine
21 minutes ago, TractorJunkie said:

an old mule drive might be a good place to start. easy to remove etc. ? 

Quite true.

I should elaborate a little.

This will have the fuel tank mounted to it and will be a permanent piece.

The reason why I'm bolting it on to the frame (instead of welding) is in case of repairs to frame, need for engine removal, or whatever else.

• Like 1

CCW
3 hours ago, McGrew said:

IMG_1358.jpg

Built a similar bracket to this one to hold a front hitch.  Bolted to existing holes on the side of the frame. Made it out of angle iron and worked great. Could easily be modified to carry a box or other bracket.

• Like 2

Lee1977

Bolted to the side of the frame. How are you going to open your hood with all that up front?

SAM-0416.jpg

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Lee1977 said:

How are you going to open your hood with all that up front

Slide out pin(s) in the front.

• Like 1

CCW

Here are pics of my front bracket.  Had to remove a bit of the angle iron to fit over the frame properly.

Hitch Front 01 (Medium).jpg

Hitch Front 02 (Medium).jpg

• Like 2

Mickwhitt

I'm going to try and make a bracket that fits on the mule pulley mounting to carry a tool box, in a similar way to Norms weight carrier.

I dont want to use the mule pulley unit itself so I will fabricate something that will fit just like the mule unit.

My only concern is that there is nothing to stop the bracket hingeing up and down when driving over bumps.

I'll look at some way of fixing it to stop that.

Obviously the mule pulley is hinged to allow for adjustment and the pulley is held against the adjuster by the belt tension.

I will have to create something that holds the bracket steady.

Mick 

• Like 2

Lee1977
22 hours ago, Mickwhitt said:

I'm going to try and make a bracket that fits on the mule pulley mounting to carry a tool box, in a similar way to Norms weight carrier.

I dont want to use the mule pulley unit itself so I will fabricate something that will fit just like the mule unit.

My only concern is that there is nothing to stop the bracket hingeing up and down when driving over bumps.

I'll look at some way of fixing it to stop that.

Obviously the mule pulley is hinged to allow for adjustment and the pulley is held against the adjuster by the belt tension.

I will have to create something that holds the bracket steady.

Mick 

SAM-1067.jpg

SAM-1066.jpg

SAM-1203.jpg

It's just a 2x2x1/4" angle with a 5/8" bolt welded to iit. the clip on the back side hooks under the hitch to keep it from flipping up.. I fad a front bumper bolted to it.

Correction it;s 2 1/2 x 2 x 1/4 angle. took me a few minuets to find it ,it was hiding under the front of the air compressor.  The release handle comes forward and some are not welded on the same. be sure it will come forward enough to release release with the bracket in place.

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 2

CCW
1 hour ago, Lee1977 said:

SAM-1066.jpg

It's just a 2x2x1/4" angle with a 5/8" bolt welded to iit. the clip on the back side hooks under the hitch to keep it from flipping up.. I fad a front bumper bolted to it.

Correction it;s 2 1/2 x 2 x 1/4 angle. took me a few minuets to find it ,it was hiding under the front of the air compressor.  The release handle comes forward and some are not welded on the same. be sure it will come forward enough to release release with the bracket in place.

This is very nice.  You sure used the KISS method of design.  I am going to explore making one of these.

@ebinmaine this might be just what you need to mount your item.

Edited by CCW
  • Like 1

Lee1977
3 hours ago, CCW said:

This is very nice.  You sure used the KISS method of design.  I am going to explore making one of these.

You don't need the bolt a 5/8" rod will work just as well, once it's latched in place it's not going to move side ways. You could use 3 or 4 inch angle turn the angle down so the leg out is lower.  make it to do what you need it for.

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 1

Mickwhitt

Lee that's a very novel way of solving the issue, I like it a lot.

I will have a dig around in my metal pile and find something similar. It doesn't need to be super heavy as it's only carrying  a box to hold a few tools and ropes etc.

Thanks for sharing the idea.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Mick

• Like 2

ebinmaine
41 minutes ago, CCW said:

@ebinmaine this might be just what you need to mount your item.

I like this design as well. I've actually got two or three different things I'm going to be working on.

On the big wheel tractor project I need to make a very large bracket.

That's going to be quite a get up.

On Trina's 867, I need to add some weight to the front. I figured on making up some kind of a bracket and then hanging 80 lb or a 100 lbs out the front of the tractor.

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Mickwhitt said:

Lee that's a very novel way of solving the issue, I like it a lot.

I will have a dig around in my metal pile and find something similar. It doesn't need to be super heavy as it's only carrying  a box to hold a few tools and ropes etc.

Thanks for sharing the idea.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Mick

Now of course you know Mick. We're going to need pics.

• Haha 1