Kfuller2209

Can't get 314 to start

Kfuller2209

All, I have a 314 that I cannot get to start with the switch, Ive tried 2 different solenoids. I can get it to start by using a screw driver to jump both terminals on the solenoid but other than that nothing. Think I got 2 bad brand new solenoids or is there something else going on? I have had this tractor for a few years but it was a back up, now it my main tractor and I want to get it all up to snuff. Let me know what your best sources are for other parts, resources, manuals, and diagrams. I have rebuilt Farmalls but new to these and want to do it right. 

• Like 3

lynnmor

Put a voltmeter on the solenoid small wire, when you turn the key there should be voltage.  If not, find the faulty safety switch, ignition switch or connection.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Check out our the manuals section of the site - it’s pretty complete!

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 1

jay bee

:text-welcomewave: @Kfuller2209  to  :rs:

You'll find plenty of help here.

Achto
37 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

Put a voltmeter on the solenoid small wire, when you turn the key there should be voltage.  If not, find the faulty safety switch, ignition switch or connection.

:text-yeahthat: And a big :WRS:

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum

There are two safety switches that control the starter circuit.

1/2 of the PTO switch - PTO must be OFF. (Other half controls ignition)

Neutral switch - Clutch pedal must be down on gear models or hydro models must be in neutral.

Post your tractor model and serial number for wiring diagrams. Decal should be under the front of the seat or under the left side of the seat.

Garry

• Excellent 2

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti:        To check your solenoid, connect your jumper  from the large battery side of the solenoid to the small terminal.   

If it pulls in and the tractor starts, the solenoid is OK.   Then as Lynn and Garry state, find the break in the starting circuit.  It could be a corroded or loose connector, a broken wire, or a faulty ignition switch, PTO switch, or clutch pedal switch.

• Excellent 1

roadapples

Clean both terminals on amp gauge...

• Like 2

953 nut

:WRS:

As Garry said, not all Wheel Horses are wired alike and knowing the model and year would be helpful. When most lawn and garden solenoids are installed there are two small terminals, one of them needs to be grounded. Also, most :wh: models have fuse holders located near the battery, they can become corroded and without power to the key switch the solenoid will not close by turning the key.

solenoid.jpg.ca4ac161a23c2ee39747ce74bce9ce1d.jpg

• Like 1

Tractorhead

Welcome to :rs:

Kfuller2209
7 hours ago, 953 nut said:

As Garry said, not all Wheel Horses are wired alike and knowing the model and year would be helpful. When most lawn and garden solenoids are installed there are two small terminals, one of them needs to be grounded. Also, most :wh: models have fuse holders located near the battery, they can become corroded and without power to the key switch the solenoid will not close by turning the key.

IMG_20200410_220403330.jpg

Kfuller2209

I apologise, I'm not familiar with the year but here is the serial number and model. I know rookies can be a pain. I am trying to figure all this out. Thankfully I have a little while before the grass really starts growing. I appreciate the help. 

• Like 1

lynnmor
37 minutes ago, Kfuller2209 said:

I apologise, I'm not familiar with the year but here is the serial number and model. I know rookies can be a pain. I am trying to figure all this out. Thankfully I have a little while before the grass really starts growing. I appreciate the help. 

Reverse the first two numbers in the serial number to get the year.  That makes yours a 1998.  Here is Toro's parts page.

• Thanks 1

gwest_ca

Added some color to the wiring diagram. For more info click on each picture.

There is another file with much more wiring detail for 1999. It may be similar and would help.

Garry

Kfuller2209
On 4/11/2020 at 7:48 AM, 953 nut said:

I have tested a couple things and here's what I've found:

When I tested the ignition switch I have power to all the terminals that should have power, and the blue/white wire that runs to the start relay has power when the key is turned to start.

I have no power from the blue wire coming out of the start relay to my solenoid.

The seat safety switch is bypassed, as I said I got this tractor third hand.

I can't figure out how to check the PTO safety switch, when it's engaged the light on my dash doesn't come on when I jumped the two terminals of the PTO switch i got the light to come on.

When the tractor is running and I try and put the parking brake on the tractor immediately shuts off as if a safety switch is making it kill the ignition.

I cannot find the clutch safety switch yet. Haven't really dug into the rear end to find it. 

Thanks again for all the help.