Pullstart

C-161 Blackhood Briggs Twin / ARK 500 FEL

Tractorhead

Oh,ain‘t nice results for now Buddy, that hurts my heart

but it seems it only happens on Front Cylinder.

Pull head on front cylinder off to investigate closer seems required.

if you need the FEL urgently, also a Singleengine with 8HP will be enough, to drive the Hydraulics.

Maybe you lost a bit of max. Liftforce, but i‘m sure, it will do the Trick good enough,

if a 10 HP is available you‘re good to go.

So if you had a Spare Engine, i would change it, until the Twin is rewoked.

That is less work, to have a FEL quick available and destress you in the reworking timeline.

That give you the option, you can spent some time later to investigate the problem with that Engine or

If it works good enough for you, you can decide, rework the Engine or simply Swap.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Man are you fast...

:thumbs:

Does it work? :hide:

:ychain:

Very cool video!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Tractorhead

Whow, faster than a nascar Service 👍

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Pullstart
1 minute ago, Tractorhead said:

Whow, faster than a nascar Service 👍

You’re up late!  Or early!  

I’ll keep y’all updated on Scoop, I’m not giving up so easy!

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

I’ll need to add the weight box yet, but for now it works just dandy.  I need to thank Rylee for her help and guest appearance in the video!

• Like 1
  • Heart 3

Tractorhead

Cannot sleep, the quarantine today moves me arround.. 🙄🤔😎

Btw. Great work.

Does it work as expected?

edit - aaah seen it, youre onhydro!👍

Have some Fun with your Loader and Welcome to the „Loader Club“  ...😎

i worked yesterday on my Tiller to disassemble, but hackstar rusted heavy on.

maybe will loosen it today with some Heat..

Edited by Tractorhead
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
18 hours ago, pullstart said:

lubricity

The Scrabble police will be at your door with a warrant for your arrest.              :law-policered:   9780786247738.jpg

• Haha 6

Pullstart

So, the FEL is long gone off too Scoop, I’ve not figured out the culprit of all the oil, but I did just see in a corner an old Briggs model 253417 11 hp engine.  This came from 2019 Portage, WI auction.  It was in a Craftsman(?) mower and ran off a hand crafted (easy term for cobbled) ammonia or spirits can with a copper line brazed into it turned gas can.  If @WHX?? and @Achto recall, it was a $25 or so purchase (maybe only a couple bucks!) and with a battery it fired right off running in the fuel that was in it and I drove it around the campsite and it didn’t even smoke enough to fog for skeeter eagles.  

It even has a flywheel side pulley on it.  This’s gots’s me thinking we have a culprit for a C-111Special hydraulic pump machine…

AA2997C8-32AE-46B2-9C1D-13F1AECE544D.jpeg

AF3B987D-FEE9-4839-AE7D-7FF275E33AAB.jpeg

• Excellent 1

Pullstart
On 3/25/2020 at 9:30 PM, Pullstart said:

I’m not giving up so easy!

March of ‘20.  Maybe I did give up… :ROTF:

• Haha 2

Achto

If I recall correctly that engine ran fairly decent.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

Was that this tractor Kev? 2019 show

20190713_190101.jpg

if so she died for a good cause... the front rims are on this tractor now! 

20200921_190828.jpg

20200922_190951.jpg

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Yeah buddy!  That’s the one!  I recall I left the majority of the carcass next to the dumpster :ROTF:  I actually maxed out Norman’s deck over capacity that trip!

• Like 1

Pullstart

A little update on Scoop.  My buddy bought it to see about making a puller out of it.  It’s been a year or more, give or take.  Time flies.  He sold it this morning to one of his buddies.  He never did a thing to it.  His Bud ran a bore scope into it and found a cracked valve.  That was what was allowing the massive amounts of oil into the cylinders..  I now have a bore scope.  I’m sure utilizing one through an intake or exhaust or spark plug hole would explain a lot, without tear down :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Bill D
35 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

A little update on Scoop.  My buddy bought it to see about making a puller out of it.  It’s been a year or more, give or take.  Time flies.  He sold it this morning to one of his buddies.  He never did a thing to it.  His Bud ran a bore scope into it and found a cracked valve.  That was what was allowing the massive amounts of oil into the cylinders..  I now have a bore scope.  I’m sure utilizing one through an intake or exhaust or spark plug hole would explain a lot, without tear down :handgestures-thumbupright:

Is he going to fix it?  Those Briggs are decent engines.  Valves are still available.

Pullstart
18 minutes ago, Bill D said:

Is he going to fix it?  Those Briggs are decent engines.  Valves are still available.

from my friend: “It had a cracked valve. Sold it to a flying buddy. He looked at it with his bore scope. I gave him half his money back. He’s a good guy I need on my side”

my guess, is it’s in good hands.

8ntruck

Interesting thread.  The KT19 in my C-195 has similar symptoms of oil consumption and smoking.  I got several handy troubleshooting ideas from the thread. 

I'm planning to  check the crank seals and breathers first.  Next step will be getting the engine out onto the bench to pull the heads for a good look at the cylinders.

• Like 1