ezeastside

D160 oil leak

ezeastside

Hi,

Dragged this home last summer and started the process of getting it back up and running a couple of weeks ago.

1977 model with Onan BF 16HP

Normal stuff done to it like Fuel lines, oils, filters, points, condenser, battery, and such.

Got it running and driving as it should.

Here is the question.

The lubrication chart on this site calls for 2 quarts of oil. I put that in and it registers high on the stick. When driving around I get some oil blowing out the rear of the engine.

I dropped the oil and checked the quantity and it is exactly 2 quarts.

I refilled with 1 1/2 quarts oil and it registers just a smidgen under full on the stick cold.

I drive around and get no leaking.

I am concerned obviously about running it without the recommended 2 quarts as the stick could be a replacement?

The only thing I see on the engine breakdown is the rear main seal.

Anybody have this issue or can offer some advice?

Thanks in advance....

ED

D160.jpg

gwest_ca

Did a search of the files for D-160 to see if anything showed up. There is one bulletin on an oil leak but oil was ending up in the air cleaner.

Here is what I was looking at. 93 files on 4 pages of results and with this type of link they are all mixed up so look through them all.

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/search/?&q=d-160&type=downloads_file&page=1&search_and_or=or&sortby=relevancy

Good luck

Some members have extensive knowledge of this model and others with Onan knowledge.

Garry

JoeM

I had a D 160 and only filled using the dipstick. No issues. used somewhere between 1 1/2 and 2.... never actually measured. 

As far as my other engines, I always use the stick.