formariz

On demand tractor shelter

troutbum70

The shelter looks great, now lets see the tractor in its shelter hi hi.

tom2p

thumbs up !

my next life I will have a house with a big carport 

• Like 1

ZXT

Why not just make it permanent? Beefed up a bit, of course. I think it would be useful year round. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

tunahead72
12 hours ago, tom2p said:

… my next life I will have a house with a big carport 

In mine, I will have a well constructed garage, and if it's not ready when I arrive, I'm not coming out until it is!

--------

@formariz Nicely done!  I'm not sure I understand the cables and turnbuckles, and I didn't see them in your photos.  Where are they located, and what do they do exactly?

And I think I see a length of maybe galvanized sheet metal along the left edge of the frame, just under the roof panel, acting as a drip edge?  Is that what it is, and is there not one on the right side?

formariz
8 hours ago, ZXT said:

Why not just make it permanent? Beefed up a bit, of course. I think it would be useful year round. 

That side of shed is an essential passage for utility trailer .Shelter legs obstruct that. In winter it will probably always be up since trailer does not get used ( trailer also has usually a tractor stored in it in winter). Another reason is that it would be too close to property line as a permanent structure. Wife is already giving it the evil eye thing there are more tractors coming. I might also introduce another one on the other side of shed. It has to be smaller due to a beech tree too close to shed.

35 minutes ago, tunahead72 said:

In mine, I will have a well constructed garage, and if it's not ready when I arrive, I'm not coming out until it is!

--------

@formariz Nicely done!  I'm not sure I understand the cables and turnbuckles, and I didn't see them in your photos.  Where are they located, and what do they do exactly?

And I think I see a length of maybe galvanized sheet metal along the left edge of the frame, just under the roof panel, acting as a drip edge?  Is that what it is, and is there not one on the right side?

A few reasons for your second question. My first intent was to have legs always attached to roof and have them pivot out as I lifted roof out. For that roof has to be flush on the edges. I first tried that option without the roof panels in place, but found that it was just too problematic. First in closed position legs would fall out. Then when lifting roof,legs would have to fall against shed as I lifted so they would support it. That did not always happen on the two legs, sometimes one falling in the opposite direction, creating an odd situation for me to fix since this thing is ten feet long. If instead i just lay the legs out first and then lifted , then leg's feet would constantly get stuck on gravel. So I opted not to have legs installed when in down position. Instead I have a third leg that I use in the center that supports top at the correct height already allowing be to place the other two without any drama.

Now the reason that there is no drip edge on the other side, (eventually there will be) is that one thing I neglected to calculate, was how long panels would be when you overlap them. Therefor on that side panel overhangs by 1/2". Cannot really cut it it would not look right, so I just left it since I no longer need it flush.

By the way, since pitch is variable I can use top as a smaller storage area by just lowering it and having legs horizontal up against shed as brackets looking like a tent.

As for cables, one is mounted diagonally under frame and allowed me to square frame prior to installing panels. The other cable is mounted towards front of frame, and by tightening it it creates a crown on front of frame to increase its strength by eliminating sag in the center since I do not have a support there. I can adjust the "crowning" as i need it. I use that system many times even on shelves with long spans.

IMG_3408.JPG.b80237dde676f68d2b435788b26d6ab2.JPG

IMG_3413.JPG.4ab6f92448803fc0e73faec5ae3d52a5.JPG

IMG_3410.JPG.eb286aca0b69b1cae6afc9f09f8b389b.JPG

IMG_3412.JPG.26c075386468e18da49e828e0665ff63.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

tom2p
8 hours ago, formariz said:

That side of shed is an essential passage for utility trailer .Shelter legs obstruct that. In winter it will probably always be up since trailer does not get used ( trailer also has usually a tractor stored in it in winter). Another reason is that it would be too close to property line as a permanent structure. Wife is already giving it the evil eye thing there are more tractors coming. I might also introduce another one on the other side of shed. It has to be smaller due to a beech tree too close to shed.

A few reasons for your second question. My first intent was to have legs always attached to roof and have them pivot out as I lifted roof out. For that roof has to be flush on the edges. I first tried that option without the roof panels in place, but found that it was just too problematic. First in closed position legs would fall out. Then when lifting roof,legs would have to fall against shed as I lifted so they would support it. That did not always happen on the two legs, sometimes one falling in the opposite direction, creating an odd situation for me to fix since this thing is ten feet long. If instead i just lay the legs out first and then lifted , then leg's feet would constantly get stuck on gravel. So I opted not to have legs installed when in down position. Instead I have a third leg that I use in the center that supports top at the correct height already allowing be to place the other two without any drama.

Now the reason that there is no drip edge on the other side, (eventually there will be) is that one thing I neglected to calculate, was how long panels would be when you overlap them. Therefor on that side panel overhangs by 1/2". Cannot really cut it it would not look right, so I just left it since I no longer need it flush.

By the way, since pitch is variable I can use top as a smaller storage area by just lowering it and having legs horizontal up against shed as brackets looking like a tent.

As for cables, one is mounted diagonally under frame and allowed me to square frame prior to installing panels. The other cable is mounted towards front of frame, and by tightening it it creates a crown on front of frame to increase its strength by eliminating sag in the center since I do not have a support there. I can adjust the "crowning" as i need it. I use that system many times even on shelves with long spans.

IMG_3408.JPG.b80237dde676f68d2b435788b26d6ab2.JPG

IMG_3413.JPG.4ab6f92448803fc0e73faec5ae3d52a5.JPG

IMG_3410.JPG.eb286aca0b69b1cae6afc9f09f8b389b.JPG

IMG_3412.JPG.26c075386468e18da49e828e0665ff63.JPG

you do nice work !

tom2p
22 hours ago, tom2p said:

thumbs up !

my next life I will have a house with a big carport 

maybe this house / carport 

D5D48A2A-E3CD-41CC-BD13-584D891A12EE.jpeg

A91A9F87-5946-4500-A30F-76491D3F0760.jpeg

• Like 1

tunahead72

Yeah, I would take that.  Is that near you somewhere?

tom2p
14 minutes ago, tunahead72 said:

Yeah, I would take that.  Is that near you somewhere?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentuck_Knob

Kentuck Knob / Hagen House 

one of my fav houses 

located in southwest PA near the Laurel Mountains ... hour or so from Pittsburgh

( also close to Fallingwater )

the house was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright for the Hagen family who were dairy farmers (Hagen ice cream, etc)

has a neat carport - and one of the very few Wright designed residences with a basement (small basement) 

Edited by tom2p
  • Thanks 1

tunahead72

Beautiful, thanks for the link!

formariz

First time tractor in shelter

IMG_3414.JPG.96d3cb2f65f16ba664c295cdcd215fb4.JPG

IMG_3415.JPG.8ec0ec3e8919ce20ccaf8a71b1b465c8.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

The Tuul Crib
15 hours ago, tom2p said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentuck_Knob

Kentuck Knob / Hagen House 

one of my fav houses 

located in southwest PA near the Laurel Mountains ... hour or so from Pittsburgh

( also close to Fallingwater )

the house was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright for the Hagen family who were dairy farmers (Hagen ice cream, etc)

has a neat carport - and one of the very few Wright designed residences with a basement (small basement) 

Frank Lloyd Wright was a Genius
in my book. I love all his work! 
Beautiful home!