JoeInPA

'New' Tractor Shopping, Considering the 5xi Series (Long Post Warning)

JoeInPA

Hi all, 

I'm new here and I'm trying to do some research and collect information on some tractors that I am considering purchasing. 

First a little backstory so you can better understand the situation. I currently own a 2003 Cub Cadet 1525 that we bought new back in 2003 to cut the grass. Prior to the Cub Cadet we were using a push mower so it was a huge step up at the time. 

My property is a little over 2 acres, but only about 1 acre is actually lawn. The entire property is very hilly though and some of the hills are very steep. I also have two medium sized driveways that the tractor is tasked with snow plowing in the winter. One is triangular shaped and about 100'x50' feet, the other is L-shaped and roughly 120'x40'. Neither driveway is huge but they aren't small either. 

The Cub Cadet has been a great little machine and served us well for ~16 years. However it is a 16 year old lawn tractor and not a garden tractor, and it's just plain old wearing out.  The engine burns some oil, the hydro is getting really slow, and the chassis is getting very rusty. It has over 600 hours on it and it's just not worth putting any money into. So I'm going to use it to plow the driveways through the winter and come spring I am going to sell the Cub and purchase a new tractor. 

I want this next tractor to be a real garden tractor- HD rear axle, rated for ground engagement, power steering, shaft drive, etc. I'm shopping the used market, and my budget is around $2000, all the better if I can get away with less. 

I've already done a lot of research up to this point, looking at options from Deere, Kubota, Cub Cadet, and Toro/Wheel Horse. I've narrowed that down to two particular tractors- the 2000 model year and newer Cub Cadet 3000 series, and the Toro 5xi series.

The Cub Cadet 3000 series have cast iron rear axles, power steering, hydraulic deck lift, shaft driven transaxle and deck and almost infinitely expandable hydraulics. They have lots of aftermarket support, parts are readily available and aren't overly expensive. And for the most part these tractors are well within my budget.

The 5xi series seems like another solid choice. I think the 520lxi, 522xi and 523dxi all came with power steering, most models came with power deck lift. The dual range Eaton transaxle seems to be a good unit. I do have some questions about the 5xi series though.

How easy is it to expand the hydraulics? I minimally want to be able to run a power lift, power angle plow and possibly a hydraulic 3 pt. hitch. Is this even doable? 

How difficult is it to find parts? These 5xis arent nearly as common as the Cub Cadet 3000s so I fear secondhand parts and attachments may be difficult to find. 

Also I'm familiar with Commercial Toro push mowers and I know how expensive Toro parts can be. Are the Wheel Horses any better? 

I really do like the 5xi series and deep down I really want one, but the Cub Cadet 3000 series is a really solid option. I plan on owning this tractor for a long time so I want to thoroughly research all my options. 

Any input regarding these machines is welcome and appreciated. Thanks! 

Kurt-NEPA

I have a 520xi and 522xi.  They are fantastic tractors.  My is 2000 522xi is my daily mower.  I also have a 2 stage snow blower for them.  I don't think you will find a better tractor.  For $2000 you should be able to find a nice one.  The power steering in the 522xi make this a dream to use.

Parts are available for this series (for the most part) and the Kohler V-twin in the 520xi and 522xi is a very common engine.  Used part are a bit harder to find than some other tractors as are attachments, but they are out there.  A-Z tractor is a good source for used parts.

I would recommend the 52 inch deck, I just seem to like it better than the 48" (I have both).  Some day I may find a 60".

BTW way I mow over 2-1/2 acres with mine and the 522xi is holding up well.

• Like 3

The Tuul Crib

:text-welcomeconfetti:to:rs:

:wwp:

• Like 1

tom2p

shaft drive ?

hydraulic 3-point hitch 

etc 

???

maybe a larger machine - like some of the Deere's ?

much more $$$ of course 

JoeInPA
24 minutes ago, tom2p said:

shaft drive ?

hydraulic 3-point hitch 

etc 

???

maybe a larger machine - like some of the Deere's ?

much more $$$ of course 

Aren't the 5xi series shaft driven? Some models have hydraulic power steering and deck lift, do they have auxiliary hydraulic ports? 

I'm simply trying to compare tractors. The cub cadet 3000 series is capable of handling a hydraulic 3 pt and they are shaft driven. They are also nearly identical in price.

JoeInPA
6 hours ago, The Tool Crib said:

:text-welcomeconfetti:to:rs:

:wwp:

Thank you, here is my current machine. 

IMG_20190803_182208509.thumb.jpg.4c43a2c8fb2993d2c66f31583f00745f.jpg

The Tuul Crib

You might want to look at the D series

WH .l believe it is what you would

you are needing. 

19richie66

Xi attachments are pretty much Xi only. The transmission is shaft driven, not the deck. Hydraulics could be expanded but it would be something you would have to custom do as far as I know. Like posted, the kohler v twins have plenty of parts support. Tractors..... somewhat. If you were a collector and had to have wheelhorse... choice made. Finding all the attachments plus a tractor for 2k might be hard, depending on location. You wanting all those attachments and auxiliary hydraulics... take the cub. 

• Like 2

JoeInPA
23 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

Xi attachments are pretty much Xi only. The transmission is shaft driven, not the deck. Hydraulics could be expanded but it would be something you would have to custom do as far as I know. Like posted, the kohler v twins have plenty of parts support. Tractors..... somewhat. If you were a collector and had to have wheelhorse... choice made. Finding all the attachments plus a tractor for 2k might be hard, depending on location. You wanting all those attachments and auxiliary hydraulics... take the cub. 

Thanks for the honest reply. I really want to like WH more, but the Cub just seems to beat it in most categories. The shaft driven transaxle is what is important. The deck can be belt drive, though the Cub 3000s do have a shaft driven deck. 

$2000 just needs to buy me the tractor and the deck. I don't expect to get all of the attachments I want for under $2000. 

Was differential lock an option on the 5xis? 

Kurt-NEPA
4 minutes ago, JoeInPA said:

Was differential lock an option on the 5xis? 

No diff lock on the 5xi's.

I've seen quite a few 5XI's for sale under $2000, at least in central and eastern PA.  I almost bought a 520Lxi last year for about that.

I haven't really checked out the better Cubs, but they look good on paper.  One thing I don't like about them is the use of plastic body parts.  That said, I have some friends that love them.

• Like 1

JoeInPA
15 minutes ago, Kurt-NEPA said:

No diff lock on the 5xi's.

I've seen quite a few 5XI's for sale under $2000, at least in central and eastern PA.  I almost bought a 520Lxi last year for about that.

I haven't really checked out the better Cubs, but they look good on paper.  One thing I don't like about them is the use of plastic body parts.  That said, I have some friends that love them.

I think minimally I'd want to be looking for a 520lxi because I want power steering. 

The 3000 series Cubs are all steel, no plastic on them except the dashboard. 

Kurt-NEPA
8 minutes ago, JoeInPA said:

I think minimally I'd want to be looking for a 520lxi because I want power steering. 

The 3000 series Cubs are all steel, no plastic on them except the dashboard. 

522xi has power steering.

Good news on the 3000 series Cubs, Thanks

twintornados

The only real issue is if you want to buy a machine that is no longer made or one that is still on the market. I am a huge fan of Wheel Horse and own two WH garden tractors (C-125 with a rear discharge deck and full frame front plow and a mid eighties 16HP Wheel Horse that I just picked for the front end loader that is on it) and love my Horses of course...but, sadly, Wheel Horse is no longer a going concern as Toro ended production of them. Cub Cadet is still a "going concern" and as such, you can still buy them new. So, owning a Wheel Horse is a "badge of honor and pride" and if you can get around not running down to your local Home Depot to pick up parts and accessories, then by all means, get that Horse....

Edited by twintornados
  • Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

I grew up on old iron IH Cub Cadets but ended up with a 520H over 20 years ago when I was looking for a brand new L&G tractor. I looked at JD CC SIMPLICITY and TORO WH dollar for dollar and features I was and have been completely happy with my choice, (not a fan of the newer MTD built 4 lug LAWN tractors the xi is the last of the true Garden tractor from TORO WH) but from what you are describing you may want to look in the sub compact tractors like Kubota JD ect shaft driven implements actual cat 1 3pt hitch along with a few older IH CC and WH I also have a Kioti CK20 I bought used with mid mount mower deck and FEL that I leave with my elderly parents in WV then I bought myself a brand new Mahindra eMax 22 primarily to mow my very hilly 3 acres but also have FEL. Just my humble opinion ...  In the 3rd pic below you can see how close in size the xi and eMax are... BTW I know where a NOS 522XI is hiding still waiting to be bought.

IMAG3215.jpg

client_PART_1522873114138_IMG_0508.JPG

IMAG2968.jpg

IMAG2971.jpg

IMAG0516.jpg

IMAG1747.jpg

IMAG1742.jpg

• Like 4

tom2p
13 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

but from what you are describing you may want to look in the sub compact tractors

BTW I know where a NOS 522XI is hiding still waiting to be bought.

my thought also - sub compact tractor 

wow - the WV dealer still has the NOS 522XI ?  

little interest - or dealer won't come down enough on price ?

years ago I purchased a new snowmobile a dealer had for 2+ years ... dealer sold it for cost (basically )

WVHillbilly520H
14 minutes ago, tom2p said:

wow - the WV dealer still has the NOS 522XI ?  

little interest - or dealer won't come down enough on price ?

Yes still has it... And most people nowadays just don't to pay that new price unless it's either a ZTR or SCUT with a warranty... That I'm sure TORO will no longer honor.

tom2p
18 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Yes still has it... And most people nowadays just don't to pay that new price unless it's either a ZTR or SCUT with a warranty... That I'm sure TORO will no longer honor.

for a dealer to stay in business - they gotta sell ... turn over inventory ...

that money sitting can not be used to purchase more inventory to turn over 

blah blah blah 

or something like that    lol

WVHillbilly520H
9 minutes ago, tom2p said:

for a dealer to stay in business - they gotta sell ... turn over inventory ...

that money sitting can not be used to purchase more inventory to turn over 

blah blah blah 

or something like that    lol

He's 83 or 84 I think he keeps the doors open just to have the company as he still is a SIMPLICITY dealer.

ZXT

:text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs:!

I have been around a number of newer CC's, and while they are a capable tractor, I haven't seen them hold up as well a WH. WH's are great tractors, and they have a great following. The XI series are also capable machines, and any help you might need with one can be found here, on the best tractor forum on the web. 

What are you planning to use the 3pt for? You might find that an older model is more capable in this department, but it won't have power steering. That said, I haven't ever seen a need for PS on a garden tractor.

I wish you luck regardless of which machine you do pick! 

I missed out on a 522xi for $300 a few months ago.. and I'm still kicking myself for not finding it earlier!

Edited by ZXT

clueless

Joel, there is a 522xi for sale in the classified section here. Sound like it's right up your alley literally and figuratively. He's in Akron which looks to be less than two hours from you, in the horse buying and selling business, that not even considered a road trip.

• Like 2

JoeInPA
12 hours ago, clueless said:

Joel, there is a 522xi for sale in the classified section here. Sound like it's right up your alley literally and figuratively. He's in Akron which looks to be less than two hours from you, in the horse buying and selling business, that not even considered a road trip.

I saw the ad for that machine on craigslist just today. It sounds like it needs a head gasket but otherwise should be a solid machine. It would be pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the heads up!

PeacemakerJack

684CA236-9744-4D2C-8B2F-F07BDC943518.jpeg.163130b1da86cb866ccac033a13ae179.jpegJoel—my wife owns a 523Dxi and it is a fantastic tractor.  I have never personally owned a Cub 3000 series but I have a couple of buddies that currently do.  They are capable machines and have a lot of available attachments.  However—if you parked a 3205 next to a 522xi you would be BAFFLED at the difference in the two.  The WH is a MUCH bigger and heavier machine than the Cub.  I have completely parted a Cub 3000 series (one of my buddies needed parts and he didn’t want to pay for new pieces) and they are in no way as strong as the xi.  They similar engine choices (minus the Dxi) and on paper look the same.  However, the cub has a very weak frame compared to the WH, many of the heavy working parts aren’t as heavy either.  The 2000 and 3000 series are capable harden tractors but don’t compare to the xi series.

6762F7E9-06B1-4502-88AB-FCBCF9CC5C89.jpeg.def00bbdd139c5cf771be9cabaa6c530.jpeg

Our Dxi came with a 60” deck that is EXTREMELY heavy weighing in at about 350# and it does a fantastic job on our 1.5 acres of lawn.  Not as quick as a zero turn but still efficient especially with the power steering and tight turning radius.

5C8A2F6A-8A53-45FF-B210-5D194079EB83.jpeg.471bc32b01645c595220a3f762e683fb.jpeg

It also came with the two stage 44” snowblower.  That is where this machine really shines!  It will chuck snow an easy 35-40’ no problem as the video below attests to...

Keep in mind that these are big tractors though. 

35ACEA6A-5CD6-47A9-99FB-A03DB7137050.jpeg.30c713a46b7c2d881c9055da7d827d99.jpeg

With the snowblower attached compared in length to my Windstar minivan!!!!

Items missing from the xi series in my option are (Cat O hitch, diff lock, rear pro, and front/rear hydraulics). This could be the most underrated an undetected late model garden tractor built!  Everyone thinks of JD or Kubota when thinking of early 2000’s GT’s and these were unknown by most.  The good news is that you can often find them for a good price. Ask @Shynon about his latest find.  The Kohler Command is a really stout engine.  Two things that they are known to struggle with are: coil packs going bad and leaking crank seals.  Check that out and keep in mind.  Neither is a terrible fix if you are handy and don’t mind getting your hands greasy!  

Good luck in your hunt!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

sergeant
On 12/26/2019 at 6:44 AM, PeacemakerJack said:

684CA236-9744-4D2C-8B2F-F07BDC943518.jpeg.163130b1da86cb866ccac033a13ae179.jpegJoel—my wife owns a 523Dxi and it is a fantastic tractor.  I have never personally owned a Cub 3000 series but I have a couple of buddies that currently do.  They are capable machines and have a lot of available attachments.  However—if you parked a 3205 next to a 522xi you would be BAFFLED at the difference in the two.  The WH is a MUCH bigger and heavier machine than the Cub.  I have completely parted a Cub 3000 series (one of my buddies needed parts and he didn’t want to pay for new pieces) and they are in no way as strong as the xi.  They similar engine choices (minus the Dxi) and on paper look the same.  However, the cub has a very weak frame compared to the WH, many of the heavy working parts aren’t as heavy either.  The 2000 and 3000 series are capable harden tractors but don’t compare to the xi series.

6762F7E9-06B1-4502-88AB-FCBCF9CC5C89.jpeg.def00bbdd139c5cf771be9cabaa6c530.jpeg

Our Dxi came with a 60” deck that is EXTREMELY heavy weighing in at about 350# and it does a fantastic job on our 1.5 acres of lawn.  Not as quick as a zero turn but still efficient especially with the power steering and tight turning radius.

5C8A2F6A-8A53-45FF-B210-5D194079EB83.jpeg.471bc32b01645c595220a3f762e683fb.jpeg

It also came with the two stage 44” snowblower.  That is where this machine really shines!  It will chuck snow an easy 35-40’ no problem as the video below attests to...

Keep in mind that these are big tractors though. 

35ACEA6A-5CD6-47A9-99FB-A03DB7137050.jpeg.30c713a46b7c2d881c9055da7d827d99.jpeg

With the snowblower attached compared in length to my Windstar minivan!!!!

Items missing from the xi series in my option are (Cat O hitch, diff lock, rear pro, and front/rear hydraulics). This could be the most underrated an undetected late model garden tractor built!  Everyone thinks of JD or Kubota when thinking of early 2000’s GT’s and these were unknown by most.  The good news is that you can often find them for a good price. Ask @Shynon about his latest find.  The Kohler Command is a really stout engine.  Two things that they are known to struggle with are: coil packs going bad and leaking crank seals.  Check that out and keep in mind.  Neither is a terrible fix if you are handy and don’t mind getting your hands greasy!  

Good luck in your hunt!

The 3000 series Cub Cadets have 9 gauge frames The 5Xi series uses a 10 Gauge frame  By frame Gauge It No weak tractor.   It Could also Take a Kwik-way Loader Just Like the 5Xi series The Other thing the 3000 series Had Going for it Besides Power steering and Diff/lock  was it Could Use Hydraulically angled attachments & shaft drive attachments While Belt's when New do transfer Power Better than a shaft. Belts do ware over time and Loose that Power Transfer advantage. The other Minor downside of the 5Xi is It could Only Use sleeve Hitch attachments do to the clevis Hitch. Though the Cub 3000 series  Had a Cat 0 3point Hitch. That said Both Toro & MTD missed In the Hitch department the Cub Cadet 3000 series was designed to Compete with the Deere 425 thru 455. When Deere Came out with the X400 & X500 Heavy Duty series with 4WD & a Limited Cat 1 3point Hitch. Cub Continued to Produce a Cat 0 for there 3000 series until 2012  sales Number really fell  for the 3000 series By 2006. But sales Skyrocketed for the 2500 series.  Toro Had actually seen the writing on the walls Long Before MTD as we see the Garden tractor Line More or Less Left Toro They wanted to Concentrate On commercial But even Before that sales were Not Great On the 5Xi series . Because of some of the Capability it Lacked Compared to the Competition ( interview Toro Reps For a Book as well as MTD and Many other Manufacturers ) The 5Xi did Not have the sales Numbers That the Previous 520H did and it even Lacked Power steering  But the sold very well. Some of the 5Xi design actually Came from some older Gilson design's that never saw the light of day. Not Knocking the 5Xi series I would Love to Have one In My collection Because for what it Is it really is a fine Piece of Craftsmanship and the Price it Had at the time It was really a Very reliable Machine to use for a Loader Platform It was One of the least expensive But over Built Machines for Use with a Loader when You Price Out a Deere or Simplicity Legacy at the time The 3000 series Cub was a MTD design There was Nothing left of the Old IH Cub Cadet In them Like previous Built Standard & Super Garden tractors Had In them. Probaly the One real Bad design Miss step with the Cub Cadet 3000 series was there Version of Deere Front quick Hitch The Cylinders over Time use to Break the attaching bracket On the Hitch for the Front Blade or Blower MTD did cut some corners with the 3000 series  In some of the details But it was Not a weak tractor By any means. You Could Have up to 4 Hydraulic Valves On the 3000 series as well. which allowed the 3 point to Operate separately from the Mowing deck Lift Now if You Want co Compare the 3000 series to the D series Then I would Say the 3000 series was a weakling compared to that  Though it  is More economically friendly Than a wheel Horse D. Other than that I would Have a D. Great Tractor.  Yes The 523DXi did have the Diesel advantage But it was Made 4 years of the entire 5Xi series Production The air cooled Models ended Up Outlasting it in Production By 4 Years as the sales Number were Just Not that Good On the 523DXi or the 520LXi.

If a 5Xi was for sale In driving distance I May have Bought the 5Xi as My first Wheel Horse as they were Not I Bought a 416H recently Haven't Picked it Up Yet I actually Kick Myself for for Not Buying One In 1992 But I was Mad at the dealer He was a Deere & Wheel Horse dealer I Had gone there to Buy a 318 In 1991Oh he said wait till Next year there redesigning it the Deere 320 Cam out which was a Previous Deere 200 series (240 thru 285) with a Liquid cooled engine and Hydraulic Lift it wasn't as Capable as the Previous 318 Did Have the Internet then Well I went & Bought a Ingersoll 3016PS down the road another Bad Buy In that the Ingersoll 3000 series could Not Take a Kwik-way Loader On the 4000 series could Beep Beep Beep But I should Have just sucked it Up and went Back to That dealer and Bought the 416H with a Kwik-way Loader and a 36inch tiller and been done with it  My first Loader Tractor ended Up Being a 1999 White GT2055 with a Kwik-way Loader But it Lacked Power steering But Had shaft driven attachments and Hydraulic Lift It actually was Probably the Least expensive Garden tractor You could Buy and Put a Loader On. Probably cost as Much as a WH 312H did In the early 1990's  But then a Deere 425 with a 40 Loader and a 60inch deck and a shaft driven Tiller fell Into My Lab for $3,500 In 2000 Traded that for a JD X485 In 2003 and a used JD X748 In 2014 the Nice thing about Deer's Garden tracto loaders the 40 & 45 was They were walk off Loaders and Didn't Need a PTO Pump Like Many Machines that used a Kwik-way Loader Had to.

For the OP if You want to save some Money & Probably Have a More reliable Older Garden tractor Get the 5Xi Because of the corners that MTD cut the Long term Reliability can Be questionable On the MTD/Cub 3000 series and If You Plan On the tilling with it You More than Likely going to Find a Tiller for the 5Xi Over the 42inch Hydraulic driven tiller That MTD Produced for the 3000 series Because that was Not a Big seller for the 3000 series the 30inch Belt driven Hydraulic tiller for the 2500 series is actually More common and If You Have been Taking care of Your Yard with a Cub 1500 series The 5Xi series even with out diff Lock is Leaps and Bounds Better than the 1500 series Just Take a Look at this forum There seem to Be a lot of them unless they are all Peacemaker Jacks I have Been Lurking On this forum for about 10 years Now and This Guy Knows his stuff about the 5Xi series.

• Like 2

sergeant

Guess the OP went with a Cub Cadet 3000 series :handgestures-thumbupright: