FAST

Mower deck lubrication question

FAST

I have a 42” mower deck with the grease zerk on the very top as shown in the picture. When I put grease in the zerk does that grease the whole spindle? The reason I’m asking is because I greased the zerk on top and see no zerk down below but when I run the mower deck it sounds like your hearing a bearing the needs grease. I have no play in any of them and everything looks good but I don’t want to damage something if I can help it. If that zerk doesn’t grease the bottom of the spindle near the blade then is there a way to lube that part of the spindle?spacer.pngspacer.pngthank you for any help.

image.jpg

Edited by FAST

peter lena

the bearings are sealed on the , outside (   exposure  ) side , with no seal on the inside of the spindle housing, allowing the zerk fitting to fill the chamber with grease and lubricate the bearing. having said that , it takes regular greasing to fill that chamber, and get in the bearing. when i recently replaced my bearings , i palm greased the bearings, to insure grease, and also pre filled the chamber to ensure there were no issues. i also use LUCAS RED AND TACKY GREASE , 550 drop point for zero grease run off. that noise you hear might be the spring tension IDLER PULLEY , known for failure and noise . they get sloppy and could be your issue. good luck with it , pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FAST

Thank you @peter lena that gives me something else to check that I didn’t give a lot of attention because I was so focused on the spindles. It looked fine but I will really look at that now. Thanks again.

• Like 1

pacer

There was a recent post addressing the spindle housings lubrication and replacing the bearings with sealed ones. Thus eliminating the need to stuff gobs & gobs of grease into the spindle cavity just to get a thimble full of grease into the bearing - and even then cant be really sure you did get that little bit of grease there!

Any how, I was relating how I have started using sealed bearing and am having good luck with them (FWIW I'm also using sealed bearings on the front wheel spindles for the same reason)

• Like 1

FAST

Thank you @pacer. Went to that post and screen shot that bearing size and asked a question about it there.