FAST

1979 c 161 hydro

FAST

Is this a good tractor? Supposedly everything works on it. Thanks for any helpful advice.

ebinmaine

Absolutely.

The C160 and C161 are among the most desirable in fact.

• Like 2

FAST

Do they take the same attachments as a c141?or are they different?

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Should be all the same. Same basic tractor. Different horsepower.

• Like 1

FAST

Well I bought it.

• Like 1

FAST

F1E0627F-C348-4D7E-A770-8F37A2B4875F.jpeg

9E02717B-02A0-40ED-A457-445C6B4DD941.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 3

ebinmaine

AWESOME

• Like 2

Cee245

As stated above and as far i've read, 99% of attachments are interchangeable from 1973-1997 along with the 315-8's that were built until 2007 or so. 

Cory

• Like 1

ZXT

Excellent find there! I'd love to have a C161. I grew up around a C141 that my dad still has and love it. I like the fact that they have a hydraulic deck lift and that the gas tank is under the seat.

Looks pretty clean. What kind of shape is it in mechanically? 

• Like 1

WildmanC120

Great machine. I have one but it's a black hood. 

• Like 1

oliver2-44

Good looking tractor.  I have a C-160 that’s a mule of a worker, and a  C-161 project in the barn

• Like 1

peter lena

fast, great tractor there , despite the obvious unkept look  that  could turn you off , its the mechanical s in it that will let it live on . a thorough basic maintenance  go through , i would go after fuel and electrical first . verify and upgrade  at every stage . then oils and through greasing . remember  catching up on neglect takes time , as you bring things back to  a  better life , make the adjustments and needed lubrication to enhance its function, i personally love older mechanical equipment that works without effort, and work on it till it does . keep us informed , pete

• Like 2

c-series don

The C-161 is one of my favorites. I’m lucky enough to have all three, the 8-speed,the single cylinder Kohler auto and the twin cylinder Briggs auto.

• Like 1

FAST

I got it off the trailer today and looked it over briefly. It runs at idol really well but is idols up and down erratically when you throttle up and it wants to stall. So I have to figure that out. Needs a spring or something done with the brake lever. The back hitch thing was missing the spacers and the clips to hold it in place but I can fix that pretty easy. I messed my knee up somehow yesterday and had to spend the day with it elevated and use ice otherwise i would have messed with it more.

ebinmaine

Likely just needs a carb rebuild.

New fuel lines.

Simple stuff.

Keep us posted.

• Like 2

Guest 88vic

There should be adjustments on the carb, you could make it smooth out possibly. Worse case scenario the carb needs dipped and cleaned along with a new fuel filter and maybe fuel lines if they are brittle.  I got a c-161 about a year ago, brought it home and tucked it away in the corner of the garage. The other 16 wheel horses have kept me busy, havent tinkered with it at all. Your post here may have made me put it on the fast track to check it out.  

FAST
10 hours ago, WHEELHORSEFAN*16 said:

There should be adjustments on the carb, you could make it smooth out possibly. Worse case scenario the carb needs dipped and cleaned along with a new fuel filter and maybe fuel lines if they are brittle.  I got a c-161 about a year ago, brought it home and tucked it away in the corner of the garage. The other 16 wheel horses have kept me busy, havent tinkered with it at all. Your post here may have made me put it on the fast track to check it out.  

Yeah I tried to just adjust the carb and that did nothing so I’m going to have to go deeper. I want to change all the fluids and filter also. Hopefully today I can. The guy I got it from was going to redo the tractor so he started scrapping a couple of the stickers off and a couple other things so I may have to try and find those maybe. I love these older tractors and don’t mind if the paint is dull. The guy also messed with the points so I will make sure those are set right. And it seems the governor may need to be set again or something because it just bogs down going up trailer ramps instead of throttling up to keep the same speed. Thanks for the help and ideas to all.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, FAST said:

stickers

@Vinylguy can help you out with that

9 minutes ago, FAST said:

governor may need to be set again

Be sure to do the points and rebuild the carb first.

Also change ALL the fuel line.

Bogging down can be a fuel issue as well.

Glad to see that tractor in the hands of someone who will do right by it.

• Like 3

FAST
11 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

@Vinylguy can help you out with that

Glad to see that tractor in the hands of someone who will do right by it.

Thank you for the info on the decal kits. Very helpful.

• Like 1

ZXT
12 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

:text-yeahthat: If the governor hasn't been messed with, don't. It more than likely doesn't need it. Pull the carb off and spray out all of the passages. If any of them are clogged, torch tip cleaners are extremely helpful in getting through blockages. If it isn't getting enough fuel to throttle up under 0 load, it certainly isn't going to have enough fuel at idle with a load on it. 

• Like 2

chip61

Nice find, that will make you a nice worker with very little effort. 

• Like 1