Sign in to follow this  
fuelie1

520H

fuelie1

I have the option to buy a toro/wheel horse 520h with 60" deck for 500.00,but the engine is knocking. Any thoughts on the price for this unit ,compared to rebuilding /repairing the engine?

:unsure:

Mudrig150

Price of the unit depends, the real stickler is the engine. Onans are expensive to rebuild, about 1000$. most of the time it's just as expensive to repower. It's up to you.

Darb1964

I have a 520-h and love it I bought it new in 1989 has 2000 plus hours on it and still going strong. I would how ever be nervous getting one with a motor problem because parts are expensive and if you are not familiar with onan motors they are a challenge. If everything else is in good shape I would say 500 is most I would give for it.

• Like 2

ZXT

What kind of shape is this tractor in, and how many hours are on it? Also, are you mechanically inclined? If it's in good/great shape, and you're capable of doing the engine repairs yourself, I'd offer him $300 and go from there. At least for that amount of money, you could easily sell parts off of it and recoup your money if nothing else. The 60" deck is worth a little by itself.

If you aren't able to do the work yourself, you'll likely have what the tractor is worth (or a little more) once you have the engine rebuilt. Looking at it from that perspective, it would probably be easier to just pick up one that already runs good, but you won't have a fresh engine. Definitely a trade off. 

Any pictures?

fuelie1

Im not sure of the hours, but the guy is firm on price, tells me I can make my money back parting out the tractor. I am able to repair rebuild engines of sorts. I currently work in the small engine world. iknow he rebuild parts are very pricy. Im also looking for parts for my current 520 h ...needing a throttle cable ,and the dash stickers that shows all of the lights... Any available? :unsure: 

fuelie1

How hard is it to find cranks if I need one for this machine, cost?

WVHillbilly520H
6 hours ago, fuelie1 said:

Im not sure of the hours, but the guy is firm on price, tells me I can make my money back parting out the tractor. I am able to repair rebuild engines of sorts. I currently work in the small engine world. iknow he rebuild parts are very pricy. Im also looking for parts for my current 520 h ...needing a throttle cable ,and the dash stickers that shows all of the lights... Any available? :unsure: 

@Vinylguy our sticker guy.       https://www.redoyourhorse.com/520-warning-light-panel-decal-design-1/   should have the warning light overlay... And if you issue with the throttle cable is not holding positions (backing down from WOT while mowing ect) it can be fixed 1 of 2 ways using ViseGrip pliers squeeze the friction rivet tight again... Or remove throttle from dash drill out said rivet and replace with small bolt and (elastic) lock nut to hold tension hope this helps.

• Like 1

fuelie1

My cable is broken,hate to buy a new one for 54.00 dollars,but will have to. 

WVHillbilly520H
2 hours ago, fuelie1 said:

My cable is broken,hate to buy a new one for 54.00 dollars,but will have to. 

You could pick up an universal cable from Tractor Supply Company or Lowe's ect and reuse your handle.