The Tuul Crib

Pine-Sol Solution to clean carburetor parts

The Tuul Crib

I'm looking at some prices online and at the auto parts store for a gallon of chem dip to clean  carburetor parts  and I ran across a video of a guy comparing the chem  dip with Pine-Sol solution. Has anybody tried this method before and does it really work like he says it does ?

Edited by The Tool Crib

WHNJ701

use pine sol with an ultrasonic cleaning machine, or lemon juice for cleaning braas/carbs

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
5 minutes ago, jabelman said:

use pine sol with an ultrasonic cleaning machine, or lemon juice for cleaning braas/carbs

Nope, I'm not going to comment on cleaning bras. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

The Tuul Crib

This guy used a solution of pine-sol 

2-1 with water. It seemed to work well 

The ultra sonic cleaner is 80 bucks and 

the chem dip solution is 30. He actually 

used simple green D for the ultra sonic 

cleaner and it did work well. 

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

You just did, sort of....

:ROTF:

• Like 1

ebinmaine

I have a carb soak kit in a metal gallon can that comes with a basket. Gunk brand. I paid $25 or $30 for it.

I haven't tried the Berryman's brand so I can't vouch for that but I've been very impressed with this Gunk solution.

Looks like Pine-Sol is available for something in the 10 to $13 range for a gallon. At that point you would need a container which isn't a big deal. I don't know how long the Pine-Sol will last.

lynnmor

I have rebuilt hundreds of carburetors of all types and have never seen the need for special soaks and ultra sonic devices.  I clean them with carburetor spray cleaner and gasoline, and finish with hot water and dish detergent. 

• Like 3

tunahead72

I wondered if anybody was ever going to mention this here.  There's a nice thread on a motorcycle forum I follow occasionally that discusses the procedure in a good bit of detail.  I'd post a link here, but I can't find it right now, and you have to be a member and signed in to read their technical topics.

It's on cb750c.com.

Never tried it myself, Berryman's or Gunk seem to work just fine, as long as you're thorough and take your time about it.  Which of course you don't really know for sure until you've got the dang thing back together and installed and it still doesn't run right, but such is life.

ZXT

I use pine sol often when cleaning carbs in my ultrasonic cleaner. Pair it with hot water and it works well. 

Yes, the HF ultrasonic cleaner is $80, but you'll find yourself using it often. It's worth every penny.  You can sit there and watch it work all of the small particulate out of the carb, which I think is cool.

Sure, chem dip works great but the good old stuff is getting hard to come by the what they sell now isn't nearly as good as it used to be.

Rob R

On a side note Pine Sol concentrate in a spray bottom sprayed all around the engine compartment pre winter will keep the mice at bay..... they hate the smell.....

• Like 1

rmaynard

I have an ultrasonic cleaner and you can use just about any water soluble cleaner (Pine-Sol, Simple Green, Fantastic, etc.) mixed 50/50 with water. It's not the soap but the ultrasonic action that does the cleaning. The soap, whichever you use, helps to emulsify the dirt.

formariz
22 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Nothing like a bra smelling like fresh pine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Digger 66
22 hours ago, lynnmor said:

I have never seen the need for special soaks and ultra sonic devices.  I clean them with carburetor spray cleaner and gasoline

X-2 brother ^

Cake pan with a little gas , cheap paint brush for the outside , carb cleaner for the passages and finish with compressed air .

I have no bras to clean either so I'm not sure there.......

Edited by Digger 66
  • Haha 1

formariz

@The Tool Crib You probably have access to lacquer thinner in your profession. I have used it exclusively for carburetor cleaning for years. There is basically nothing in a carburetor with the exception of metal that it will not dissolve.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat: or acetone or methyl ethyl ketone.

squonk
14 hours ago, formariz said:

Nothing like a bra smelling like fresh pine.

How about cedar? :)

Yes plain gas & lacquer thinner work great but FLAMMABLE and very toxic absorbed through skin. 

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: ...or, coconut even.  :text-woo:

Image result for coconut bra

• Sad 1

ebinmaine

@AMC RULES

My eyes!!

Oh my EYES !!!!!

Aaarrrggghhhh!!!!!!!

• Like 1

formariz
33 minutes ago, squonk said:

How about cedar? :)

Yes plain gas & lacquer thinner work great but FLAMMABLE and very toxic absorbed through skin. 

Cedar smells like it’s been stored in the closet forever. Nothing like the smell of fresh pine in that particular garment .

The Tuul Crib
30 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

@AMC RULES

My eyes!!

Oh my EYES !!!!!

Aaarrrggghhhh!!!!!!!

:text-yeahthat:

The Tuul Crib
4 hours ago, formariz said:

@The Tool Crib You probably have access to lacquer thinner in your profession. I have used it exclusively for carburetor cleaning for years. There is basically nothing in a carburetor with the exception of metal that it will not dissolve.

I thought about using lacquer and yes I do have plenty of it. I just wasn't sure what it would do to the metal . But then again the chem dip would be stronger.

squonk
49 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

:text-yeahthat: ...or, coconut even.  :text-woo:

Image result for coconut bra

download.jpg.56342435016b63445f92ff2b20ac4a6f.jpg

• Haha 1