boondockboost

C141 plow down pressure

boondockboost

Hello, im looking to add the link for down pressure to my plow cause right now its liffted with a piece of chain and its not that great. Is the toro #7706 the piece i need for down pressure?

ebinmaine

If that's the one that is a little over 11" long, yes.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Click on the picture and download from the next page if you want.

Garry

• Like 2

boondockboost

And thats suppost to replace where the previous owner put the chain at? 

0826191652_HDR.jpg

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, boondockboost said:

And thats suppost to replace where the previous owner put the chain at? 

0826191652_HDR.jpg

The horizontal bar that your current one is attached to would be tied up out of the way.

The long solid bar would go directly from your plow frame up to the lift handle lever.

The chain and short bar is actually the far more common and normal way to hook up the plow.

I use down pressure in pretty near every snowstorm and I would not want a chain hook up. Down pressure is very very handy sometimes when scraping denser snow.

The Tuul Crib

So where does the long link fit in? 

Does it go directly from the blade connection to the lift arm?

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, The Tool Crib said:

Does it go directly from the blade connection to the lift arm?

Exactly.

:handgestures-thumbupright:

The Tuul Crib

Eric you just answered my question as l did not type quick enough!  I had some issues the other day when I was pushing some dirt that's trying to get more down pressure on the blade. I guess I can make a bracket at work   

Edited by The Tool Crib

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, boondockboost said:

link for down pressure

I'm sure you're well aware of these are available online for anywhere between 25 and $50.

If you have a piece of flat stock laying around you can make one up pretty easily with a couple of clevis pins or even bolts with locking nuts.

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, The Tool Crib said:

Eric you just answered my question as l did not type quick enough!  I had some issues the other day when I was pushing some dirt that's trying to get more dental pressure on the blade. I guess I can make a bracket at work   

I can take some measurements for you guys if you want but I think somebody else online has them already. If I remember right that link is something like 11 1/4 inches long and the space between the bolts or pins is maybe 10.5 in?

The Tuul Crib
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

I'm sure you're well aware of these are available online for anywhere between 25 and $50.

If you have a piece of flat stock laying around you can make one up pretty easily with a couple of clevis pins or even bolts with locking nuts.

Yes we have plenty of quarter inch stock at work that I can make one of these brackets easily. 

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

The diagram that Gary has on the above measures 12 1/2 inches long overall . 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

The diagram that Gary has on the above measures 12 1/2 inches long overall . 

Seems as though that should be fine. I don't think mine is quite that long but it shouldn't make any difference.

I have no notion whatsoever if mine is homemade or a Wheelhorse part.

953 nut

This drawing should help you.  The lift link can attach to either of the front two holes, chain stays where it is.

1728319009_Rockershaftmanuallift.jpg.8a5d2507afc2b41976a1573b5e49a682.jpg

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib
3 hours ago, boondockboost said:

Hello, im looking to add the link for down pressure to my plow cause right now its liffted with a piece of chain and its not that great. Is the toro #7706 the piece i need for down pressure?

Sorry to high jack your post! I have been having the same problems with down pressure on mine as well. I was not aware of this bracket to be used for this purpose. As I was telling Eric this bracket will be easy to make flat piece of steel with a 

3/8 hole at each end.

gwest_ca

I drilled 3/8" holes in the bar and used 3/8" x 2-1/2" Gr.5 bolts. Cut the threads off.

Weld the head of one bolt to the bar and try it for alignment. I ended up installing the 2nd bolt from the other direction and welding the head only. This provided 1/4" of offset and the pins are square to their attaching parts to minimise wear.

Drill holes in the bolts perpendicular to the bar for spring pins. Use a countersink to ease the edges of the holes. 

With the holes drilled like they are you now know where they are and you can instal the pins blindfolded.

With manual lift the float is built in - everything floats including the lift handle.

With hydraulic lift the float is accomplished by connecting the bottom of the link to the slotted hole. Down pressure is still available when the pin hits the bottom of the slot.

Garry

Lift link slot for float.jpg

• Like 1

boondockboost

Well this post turned into a good read. This is excatly everything I wanted to know. So with my tractor (hydro lift) i tie the horizontal bar  outta the way and go from the lift to plow frame. Also taking out the mini link thats there? Thanks for the help I may just make it like you guys said 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

boondockboost

Screenshot_2019-08-26-19-57-59~2.png

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

rjg854

I made a solid lift link, but shortened the centers about an inch and a half so I could lift the blade a bit higher when not actually using the plow.  For some reason the original lift link would only raise the plow a couple of inches off the ground. 

953 nut
2 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

original lift link would only raise the plow a couple of inches off the ground. 

Did you move it out to the furthest hole from the pivot point of the rock shaft?

rjg854

Gets in the way of the steering column. Richard 

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib
10 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

Gets in the way of the steering column. Richard 

Is this on the older tractors or the newer tractors ?

rjg854
3 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

Is this on the older tractors or the newer tractors ?

This is on a short frame '68 Commando 8, if I try to use the outside hole it binds on the steering wheel shaft and against the frame. 

T-Mo

A video from a few years ago from another member here: