Jhawkins

Tecumseh H60

Jhawkins

I have acquired a 655. I got the points, condenser and coil redone and it runs great. However, the previous owner rewired everything and it’s missing the regulator/rectifier. Where can I buy an aftermarket one to keep my battery charged?

ebinmaine

Those don't have a regulator/rectifier.

There should be a small plastic square mount on the side if the engine that looks like it has two resistors or fuses.

They are diodes if I remember correctly.

They each allow 1.5 amps to get to the battery.

That is your voltage regulatory system.

• Like 1

wallfish

Post some pics of your engine. Most likely the engine has been changed but it's possible it could be original.

• Like 1

Jhawkins

Its definitely been changed 

Jhawkins

9CE1F492-1C24-4833-B5ED-4E49F0EC0D61.jpeg.f9706d4500d47af9efbb959a0fa4daa2.jpeg

D8F4ACD7-3CC8-4299-8C79-9EF641303216.jpeg

46183CBC-27DC-4221-9CA3-F306504DDD59.jpeg

wallfish

It may have never had a charging system. You would have seen the charging coils when you did the points and condenser which are all located under the flywheel. Hard to tell from the pics but the throttle linkage looks like it's from a snowblower which wouldn't have the charging coils

ebinmaine

Oh wow.

You've got a great base there but that wiring needs a re-do.

I agree with @wallfish. Was there only 2 magnets in the flywheel or a pile of 'em all the way around?

• Like 1

Jhawkins

There are two coils on each side of the ignition coil module. There are also two wires , one green and a red one with a diode on it that are coming from the coils that are not hooked up

Jhawkins

There is a pile of them all around the flywheel 

• Like 1

Jhawkins

I’m redoing all the wiring and that’s why I’m looking for the charging set up so I can do it right

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine

Sounds like it should be able to charge a battery if wired right.

@pfrederi might be able to help out a bit here too.

Perhaps the right schematic would do you wonders.

@953 nut or @gwest_ca may lead us to that.

Does it look sorta like this?

IMG_20190818_194529564.jpg.2d60fea7edfebda807fd51b5f90b0e98.jpg

• Like 1

wallfish

With the diodes connected (they are directional) the system is a 3 amp system. You should test everything with a meter. The wires can go directly to the battery if it's charging at 3 amps.

Some of the older engines were like that and the bulletin states if you run the tractor for very long periods of time it could over charge the battery because there's no regulator. Removing one of the diodes was the solution. Nothing to really worry about if you're using the tractor for regular use but it's something to keep an eye on

• Like 1

pfrederi

if under your flywheel looks like the top you can have a charging  system.  if not put in a battery and starter motor recharge it every 2-3 months and you will have electric start with out a charging system..Like my L107

Capture.JPG

Jhawkins

Ok it looks slot like your pic ( just not as clean) I just need to know where the two wire hook up at. If I understand right, if I put my meter on it and it’s 3 amps I can just hook it directly to the battery?

wallfish

The wire with the diode is the charging wire, is the other the kill wire?

Yes, a 3 amp charge can go directly to the battery or it can go to the switch which then goes back to the battery.

• Like 1

wallfish

Don not send voltage through the kill wire to the ignition coil. it will ruin the coil

• Like 1

Jhawkins

I’ll test it all tomorrow. Thanks! You guys have been a big help. Was a little sceptical about the Tecumseh motor ( as all my others have Kohler's) but I’m gaining a little confidence now. 

ebinmaine
14 minutes ago, Jhawkins said:

I’ll test it all tomorrow. Thanks! You guys have been a big help. Was a little sceptical about the Tecumseh motor ( as all my others have Kohler's) but I’m gaining a little confidence now. 

Tecchys are well known to be a bit finicky because they can be a challenge to get timed right.

When you have one that runs well they're a great engine with plenty of power given the size.

• Like 1

Jhawkins

ok I just tested it and the one wire with a diode puts out3 amps and the other is a kill wire. Thanks again everyone!

• Like 1