SylvanLakeWH

Wheel Barrow Trailer Conversion 2.0

SylvanLakeWH

So 4 years ago my son decides he is going to build a wakeboard winch (google it - they are pretty wild)... Long story short, he bought all the stuff, fabricated the frame, began assembly, lost interest and now is away at college. I, on the other hand, have a large pile of winch "stuff" in the basement which is going to become another wheel barrow conversion trailer.

Here are the basics:

Trailer will connect with my previous wheel barrow trailer build to create a "kid train" to haul nieces and nephews around the hood.

The frame and all parts are WAY over built for this new trailer need, however the price is right (free) and I am looking to basically build this so I do not need to do any (or minimal) cuts, welds or other stuff...I want to bolt and go.

Here are my dilemmas / questions:

1. Axle is 1" and I am having a hell of a time finding cheap (free would be sweet) wheels / tires that will bolt on... HF, Northern Tool, TSC etc. no go with options. So ideas on this would be welcome. As you can see, the set up he was using (totally different application) was a live 1" axle to spin the winch using hubs and pillow blocks.

2. Looking to have a tool box bolted on and for this design I want the barrow to tilt, with a lock / latch so I can use it to haul / dump as well as cart kiddies around without dumping them... I was thinking a simple hinge point using several door hinges and a hardware latch from my pile of crap (supplies). Too simple?

Pictures show the concepts I am kicking around...

I will also be painting the appropriate shade of red, and will be ordering another set of custom decals from Terry to match the previous set. (pic of previous build attached fro reference.

Thoughts / suggestions would be appreciated...!

PS - If anyone in SE Michigan has a Black Hood Roller with a solid 8 speed manual - I am looking for one (cheap) to use the 9 hp Honda clone he bought for the winch...Brand new - never fired up...(I am partial to the Black Hoods)...:ph34r:

IMG_0453.JPG.fde7bae850258e2785cc00f841e280ed.JPGIMG_0454.JPG.3b2a18638c6992d0105616c87362baf5.JPGIMG_0474.JPG.10a4931330355b1f0c197fe08ffbaf7f.JPGIMG_0475.JPG.401f0877e21b649716ede9b028f798b0.JPGIMG_0476.JPG.65a08dbdf627dfb35f878e07db8ba7a8.JPG

IMG_6488.JPG.0a67aa8647f5a99b375cad844095edf7.JPG

• Like 3

JAinVA

I hate to say it but the best source for 1" hubs is off the green garden tractor fronts.That is what I use for heavy builds and I get them used off of the popular bidding site.

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

Ok thx.

Will check that out!

953 nut

If you have a couple of 1 1/8" :wh: hubs kicking around you could use a couple of bronze bushings in each hub.     :confusion-confused:    Don't need high speed bearings for a load of grand-kids and the ride would be better with a pair of 23" pneumatic tires.. 

• Like 4

SylvanLakeWH

Also excellent idea!

Thx!

• Thanks 1

JAinVA

Richard, that is thinking outside the box at it's finest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
On 8/4/2019 at 1:30 PM, 953 nut said:

couple of 1 1/8" :wh: hubs

Or 1" hubs like off a B80?

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

So a bit of progress today...

Design needs to include a “train” of two trailers for nieces and nephews...important stuff before practical...!

Found 1” bore wheels / tires at TSC. Ordered...along with shaft collars...no luck finding anything reasonable used...

The yellow tire is just for mock up purposes... honest...

Working on hinge for dumping. Gonna just use the front axle and brackets off the wheel barrow with the axle Inside a pipe bolted to the dump to make a hinge. pics to follow when fabricated...

Decided on milk crate instead of tool box. More flexible carrier...

Going with black frame and red barrow...I think it will compliment the Black Hood well...

Graphics from @Vinylguy  on order!

All for now!

8D1A61CF-8C4F-4C8F-9124-F529B7CC3AF7.jpeg

1DA38921-7BC0-49E9-A6A4-C635C52E8DF9.jpeg

1F0E8BB1-412E-4BD4-8BD3-D80BA5FD672A.jpeg

3A553277-9E06-42B0-BD3E-A6CD853E7B63.jpeg

• Like 5

SylvanLakeWH

Little more progress on the trailer today.

Paint, wheels and axle configuration completed.

Decals arrived from Terry as well (as usual - fantastic quality @Vinylguy)...but I will make you wait to see those until applied to the finished product...

All that's left is to line it all up, drill some holes, bolt it together, add the decals and then load the nieces and nephews...

Oh, also thinking of adding a front wheel. It would "hang" from the tongue suspended while hooked up to the tractor, but would be used to wheel the trailer around when not hooked up. Have a spare wheel barrow wheel and an old bike fork that will work... We will see...not sure I want the added "stuff" on the trailer.

IMG_0527.JPG

• Excellent 3

SylvanLakeWH

Finished!

My thanks to Terry @Vinylguy - The graphics are great!...even the little guy got "Too" added to its name...!

Now its time for the nieces and nephews to hop aboard the Wheel Horse & Sylvan Lake Western RR...!

My wife is hoping we do not spot anymore wheel barrows in the trash! Can't imagine why... :hide:

IMG_0537.JPG

IMG_0542.JPG

IMG_0536.JPG

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

Digger 66
On 8/4/2019 at 12:08 PM, SylvanLakeWH said:

IMG_0474.JPG.10a4931330355b1f0c197fe08ffbaf7f.JPGIMG_0475.JPG.401f0877e21b649716ede9b028f798b0.JPG

Zerks make me  :happy-bouncymagenta: And .....WITH CAPS !

• Like 1

Vinylguy

My thanks to Terry @Vinylguy - The graphics are great!...even the little guy got "Too" added to its name

awesome wagon train!!

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

SylvanLakeWH

The Field Testing Crew spent yesterday fly-specking the trailer...

Passed with flying colors!

80C18304-A33C-431E-A2B1-A48F67FCFCF2.jpeg.6a7244da61af54b61e8ae5463a901342.jpeg8786D571-48DA-4595-9543-BD0AA31ED0F6.jpeg.c48bc2a969dabbffb0c1b331a7c9a7a3.jpeg03E2EDDB-95BC-43F3-8F92-414A84FFF1B7.jpeg.9d973164ff257d7431fbae2c27e8a998.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 2

ebinmaine

Absolutely fantastic!

• Thanks 1

Digger 66
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Absolutely fantastic!

Y E S 

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

Jim, did you bolt the tub on, or does it dump?  If it dumps, please make sure the latch has a fail safe.... ask @Achto how I know!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Achto
14 minutes ago, pullstart said:

If it dumps, please make sure the latch has a fail safe.... ask @Achto how I know!

The things that happen when you don't have a camera ready.:D

• Like 1

Pullstart
4 minutes ago, Achto said:

The things that happen when you don't have a camera ready.:D

The things that happen when Dan says hop on in!  Let’s go for a ride!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

SylvanLakeWH
28 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Jim, did you bolt the tub on, or does it dump?  If it dumps, please make sure the latch has a fail safe.... ask @Achto how I know!

Bolted. For the very reason you elude to...!

I also have both hitch pins secured as well to keep them from popping out unexpectedly...

Actually both work great as a barrow with the tongue acting as the “handle”...

My test crew is already asking for another trailer!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1