GetEmJohnnyBoy

Wheel horse identification?

GetEmJohnnyBoy

Hey boys, I just inherited this Wheel horse and know nothing about them, yet. Is there any way I can get some identification on this Wheel horse? Its obviously not original and I Dont know what to look for but I want to restore it back to condition! I don't have enough room for more pictures sorry 

1562288735756294065450.jpg

• Like 1

GetEmJohnnyBoy

1562290023865356798527.jpg

1562290107818774703795.jpg

• Like 1

GetEmJohnnyBoy

Here are some more photos, I just found that tag. If someone could help me identify the year that would be amazing

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum.

6 = 6hp

5 = electric start (0 = recoil start)

5 = 1965

Already added your serial number to the list. Click on the picture

Garry

AMC RULES

1965 Model 655...

6=6HP Tecumseh...

5=electric start...

5=1965.

From the model list...

655 1965 Lawn & Garden Tractor 655 4-Speed Tecumseh H60-75117D 6 Wheel Horse 5049

• Thanks 1

GetEmJohnnyBoy
55 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Welcome to the forum.

6 = 6hp

5 = electric start (0 = recoil start)

5 = 1965

Already added your serial number to the list. Click on the picture

Garry

Thank you kindly, you helped me a lot

• Like 2

GetEmJohnnyBoy
56 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

1965 Model 655...

6=6HP Tecumseh...

5=electric start...

5=1965.

From the model list...

655 1965 Lawn & Garden Tractor 655 4-Speed Tecumseh H60-75117D 6 Wheel Horse 5049

Thank you kindly, I'll have pictures during the restoration for you!

• Like 3

ebinmaine

:text-welcomeconfetti:

You'll find a ton of info and great people here.

Please do keep us posted.

• Thanks 1

Sparky

Well according to the hood it has a 426 HEMI in there....she must be a race tractor :helmet: !

Just kidding....and.... :WRS:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, Sparky said:

according to the hood it has a 426 

Don't be giving us any bright ideas

500 horse power Wheelhorse.... hmmm....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Heart 1

Achto

:WRS:

53 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Well according to the hood it has a 426 HEMI in there....

Now that would be a true short frame with a big block.:D

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 4

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Achto said:

Now that would be a true short frame with a big block.:D

Your next build??

• Haha 1

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:      Looks like a new steering wheel and a little TLC will make it a good looking :wh:.  If you want a nice new seat cover @BOB ELLISON can fix you up with a nice one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

GetEmJohnnyBoy

I just sent Bob a message. I wish it had the 426! That day was long gone lol. The motor is not original in it, its a pull start Briggs with a homemade air filter. I got it sputtering yesterday, the carb needs gone through and the gas tank replaced. I'm not sure how I'd remove rust from the interior of a gas tank. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
35 minutes ago, GetEmJohnnyBoy said:

I just sent Bob a message. I wish it had the 426! That day was long gone lol. The motor is not original in it, its a pull start Briggs with a homemade air filter. I got it sputtering yesterday, the carb needs gone through and the gas tank replaced. I'm not sure how I'd remove rust from the interior of a gas tank. 

That Briggs probably has an updraft carburetor.that Briggs probably has an up draft carburetor. The trick with those is just like any other carburetor, you needs to be cleaner than clean to run right. This ethanol gas issue is a big one for those carburetors.

When you order your carburetor kit be sure to get a new Main needle. If you've never dismantled one of those carbs, there are great videos on YouTube. Be conscious that the main needle can be challenging to remove.

Other than that they are pretty straightforward.

Removing rust from the interior of a gas tank can be done fairly easily with a handful of course fish tank gravel or small nuts.

Remove the screen from the bottom and block that hole with tape or something.

Put the gravel or whatever you have in the tank and shake it gently approximately forever and three days or you can bungee it to the side of a tractor rear wheel and drive that around for a while.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

GetEmJohnnyBoy
11 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Put the gravel or whatever you have in the tank and shake it gently approximately forever and three days or you can bungee it to the side of a tractor rear wheel and drive that around for a while.

Hhahaha had me dying laughing! I would be lying if I said I thought of that haha. I sure will. I have quite a bit of time on me rebuilding Briggs from my youth go kart days, although it's been a minute since I've rebuilt an updraft. 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
26 minutes ago, GetEmJohnnyBoy said:

Hhahaha had me dying laughing! I would be lying if I said I thought of that haha. I sure will. I have quite a bit of time on me rebuilding Briggs from my youth go kart days, although it's been a minute since I've rebuilt an updraft. 

We have a lot of fun rebuilding these tractors and working them as well. Might as well add every little bit we can, right?

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

adsm08
4 hours ago, GetEmJohnnyBoy said:

I added equal parts boiled water a super clean into my tank, added a foot long section of chain, and shook that sucker like a pissed off baby with a rattle.

Did that a few times until it stopped coming out nasty color. Then I replaced the sediment bowl.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, adsm08 said:

I added equal parts boiled water a super clean into my tank, added a foot long section of chain, and shook that sucker like a pissed off baby with a rattle.

Did that a few times until it stopped coming out nasty color. Then I replaced the sediment bowl.

I like that idea

• Heart 1

adsm08
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

I like that idea

It worked out pretty well. It took all the old evaporated gas goo out pretty quickly.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, adsm08 said:

It worked out pretty well. It took all the old evaporated gas goo out pretty quickly.

Also much easier to remove than lots of individual pieces

• Heart 1

pfrederi

However you clean it it will start rusting again.  I would recommend Eastwood gas tank sealer or POR 15 Gas tank sealer.  i did the tank on my Case VAC about 14 years ago still clean inside and no rust.

https://www.eastwood.com/gas-tank-sealer-kits-eastwood-gas-tank-sealer.html

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 3
  • Heart 1

dells68

I’m a Kohler man.  I’d find an 8hp Kohler with a starter generator and repower that baby as an 855!  I just put a piston and rings in Emory’s 855 that was good at fogging mosquitoes.  Found very little wear, even to the bore and it runs like a scalded dog now!  Good for another 50 years!

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

adsm08
1 hour ago, dells68 said:

I’m a Kohler man.  I’d find an 8hp Kohler with a starter generator and repower that baby as an 855!  I just put a piston and rings in Emory’s 855 that was good at fogging mosquitoes.  Found very little wear, even to the bore and it runs like a scalded dog now!  Good for another 50 years!

I agree, almost all the problems I have had with my Kohler 8HP are ones I caused myself by touching, bumping, or adjusting things that I should have left alone. Most of my issues started when I tried to replace the muffler and knocked the throttle ring and governor loose while trying to get the old pipe out of the head.

Personally, I'd like to repower to a 10HP, but its gonna be a while.

• Like 2
  • Heart 1