DoctorHfuhruhurr

How do you load your tractors into your truck bed?

DoctorHfuhruhurr

How do the truck owners load the non running tractors into their truck bed (assuming you don't lift it manually)?  The Toy Loader Universal Loading System and 2000 Utility Winch seems popular.  Does anyone know of other "turnkey" solutions that they could recommend?  I have more $ than time so I would need a turnkey solution not including installation time.  I see liftgates like Tommy gate are popular.  

Thanks  

oliver2-44

I been thinking some way to mount a winch to the front of my truck bed would be nice.  I've never hear of the "Toy Loader Universal Loading System and 2000 Utility Winch" system, buy it looks interesting.  Now if i could just get some dimensions and metal thicknesses, I'd crank up the welder!

let us know what you end up with!.

81k8B8GDxIL._SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Extra long aluminum ramps and a come along.

Given the consideration of "more money than time" a Tommy gate would be an excellent solution for many other things as well.

• Like 2

T-Mo

Buy a trailer - I've seen too many "accidents" happen when people try loading onto a pickup truck bed.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 4

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, T-Mo said:

Buy a trailer - I've seen too many "accidents" happen when people try loading onto a pickup truck bed.

That's an excellent suggestion. I don't know how much a Tommy gate costs or whatever other apparatus is available. A good quality used utility trailer can be purchased for well under $1,000 most anywhere.

• Like 1

Pollack Pete
42 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

That's an excellent suggestion. I don't know how much a Tommy gate costs or whatever other apparatus is available. A good quality used utility trailer can be purchased for well under $1,000 most anywhere.

Last I looked,you can buy like a 6 by 8 trailer at Lowes,Home Depot,and Tractor supply brand new for like 900 bucks.Nothing fancy,but they'll work.Like ebinmaine syas, probably a much better quality used one for around the same price.Once you tip over a tractor out of a pick-up,you'll buy a nice low trailer.Don't ask me how I know.

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

On the odd chance I don't have a trailer available, I let gravity do some of the work. A side ditch works fine for a 4wd pick up. Just put the rear wheel in and drive in on the flat from above

One time I saw a guy who was scared to load up on an arched ramp. I took my wood ramp and secured it to his ramp to improve the angle. He thought I was a genius

By never ride a tractor up or down a ramp unless it's on a low trailer

Remote control of hand operated winches are much safer than ever riding

WHNJ701

that's why they make trailers

• Like 1

Lee1977

This ought to make loaing tractors a lot easer. Hydrolic trailer.

SAM-0247.jpg

SAM-0248.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

T-Mo

Also, a small utility trailer can be towed by a lot of vehicles, not just a truck.  My Jeep Liberty can pull a small trailer without any problems.

• Like 1

Pullstart
59 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

This ought to make loaing tractors a lot easer. Hydrolic trailer.

SAM-0247.jpg

SAM-0248.jpg

Wooooooaaaaahhhh!!!!  So cool!  Don’t show us the price tag though!

Lee1977

It's only $270 per square ft. at 81 square feet  70"x 14'. Im sure you could build one a lot cheaper. 

Edited by Lee1977

AHenry014

If loading into my truck bed, I just let the tractor do the work.  If the geared tractor, put it in low range and 1st gear, let the clutch out and hop off the tractor.  Sometimes needs some additional coaxing if it runs out of traction.  It climbs slowly enough to jump into the bed and wait for it.  Once its in the bed i just toss it out of gear and shut it down.  Works every time and sure beats the heck out of flipping the thing backwards on top of myself.  

Best thing though is a trailer.  I have a flat utility trailer that i can load two tractors on if i load from the side.  Ill ride the tractor up the ramps since the trailer is wayyyy lower than the truck bed.  

• Like 1

ebinmaine
14 hours ago, DoctorHfuhruhurr said:

How do the truck owners load the NON RUNNING tractors into their truck bed

there are several great solutions listed above for tractors that run and drive but what about the ones that don't move under their own power?

shallowwatersailor

I only loaded one tractor into my pickup bed. It was a swept axle 520-H and I only did it one time! Two of us loaded it but I had to get it out myself. After that it was U-Haul for less than $50.00 each time until I bought my own trailer.

• Like 1

C-85

I think a low trailer is best.:)  It seems that most of the newer trucks have gotten higher off the ground, making loading anything with ramps that much harder!

I guess everyone must like big tires :confusion-confused:, in years past (long ago) most 1/2 ton trucks had 14" or 15" tires and 3/4 tons had 16" tires.  Now trucks mostly have 17-20" tires making them higher off the ground!

When loading a tractor with a mower deck on it with ramps into a pickup, the deck will most always get hung up when the tractors front tires hit the pickup bed.  At that point the deck height is at its lowest and will usually catch on the top of the ramps and then this doesn't happen :wub: !

C-85

Stormin

I have a 12' x 6' twin axle trailer. I load using ramps and drive up. But I REVERSE up. Never front first. That's a good way to back flip.

DSCF0003.JPG.f1d3c740aa4a7fc2cbcf9b87f73f3970.JPG

rmaynard

I think that if the good doctor were so inclined to purchase a trailer, he would have, considering that he has "more money than time".

If I were to load a non-running tractor onto my pickup truck, I would back it up to a small incline or hill use the hill as a ramp to the truck.

2truck.png.2c3f291e29647102fa72384c92276ddf.png

(Substitute a tractor for the bike.)

WVHillbilly520H
5 hours ago, C-85 said:

I guess everyone must like big tires :confusion-confused:, in years past (long ago) most 1/2 ton trucks had 14" or 15" tires and 3/4 tons had 16" tires.  Now trucks mostly have 17-20" tires making them higher off the ground!

But the thing with 16",17",18"-20" wheels the tires don't get taller the sidewall gets shorter to reduce unsprung weight and rolling resistance, increasing fuel mileage and handling...now if you increase the aspect ratio (sidewall height) as well as width then yes the overall tire height increases...case in point the 265-75R16 tires on my 2000 Silverado were the same height as the 265-65R18 tires on my 2014 Silverado approximately 32.1" overall tire diameter... They have arched the springs higher to "level" out the truck when loaded down or towing heavy loads instead of tail dragging with the headlights pointing in the tree tops... Even at 5'10" I feel vertically challenged trying to enter the bed of my 1500 Z71...but my F.I.L's '79 GMC 35 stock is just as tall if not taller than my '14 Chevy... Just my random thoughts and opinions.

IMAG0115.jpg

IMAG1003.jpg

IMAG1004.jpg

DoctorHfuhruhurr
13 hours ago, Pollack Pete said:

Last I looked,you can buy like a 6 by 8 trailer at Lowes,Home Depot,and Tractor supply brand new for like 900 bucks.Nothing fancy,but they'll work.Like ebinmaine syas, probably a much better quality used one for around the same price.Once you tip over a tractor out of a pick-up,you'll buy a nice low trailer.Don't ask me how I know.

7 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

there are several great solutions listed above for tractors that run and drive but what about the ones that don't move under their own power?

A++ for your attention to detail of the post. 

I have a couple trailers at another home far away but they won't be brought here anytime soon (if ever) and I'm weary about getting another because I have so much crap as it is.  Even with a trailer or tailgate lift like tommy gate I would still need a winch to load and move non running tractors since they often have flat tires that won't inflate and the square tires tend not to roll well.  The Toy Loader product with ramps may be the way to go since I'm in a VERY flat area that has few if any hills to help with loading (assuming the tractor could be moved to a hill location to begin with).    

Edited by DoctorHfuhruhurr
  • Like 1

AMC RULES

20190629_083417.jpg.38c3ebbf168f18df906a978977ac7677.jpg20190629_084449.jpg.04e990ecca1ded542c580763c37a03d0.jpg20190629_084954.jpg.d841b0396b720a1a7d3b31ed65994688.jpg20190629_085107.jpg.bc1f6037480ff4897a11ddf9eaa87c43.jpg20190629_085042.jpg.ff53ae1b588d0a2bd6a158bb3fe6952a.jpg

WVHillbilly520H
2 minutes ago, DoctorHfuhruhurr said:

A++ for your attention to detail of the post. 

I have a couple trailers at another home far away but they won't be brought here anytime soon (if ever) and I'm weary about getting another because I have so much crap as it is.  Even with a trailer or tailgate lift like tommy gate I would still need a winch to load and move non running tractors since they often have flat tires that won't inflate and the square tires tend not to roll. 

Here's my 5'x8' TSC Carry-on trailer with boat winch attached to the tounge (for moving non running/rolling things)...as you can see it can hold up to a ton.

IMAG5577.jpg

IMAG5848.jpg

adsm08
11 hours ago, T-Mo said:

Also, a small utility trailer can be towed by a lot of vehicles, not just a truck.  My Jeep Liberty can pull a small trailer without any problems.

One day a few years back I ran home for lunch, on my way home I passed a Mustang pulling a couch on a small trailer, and on my way back I passed a Corvette pulling some other furniture on another small trailer.

I've also seen a Jetta pulling a pair of quads on a small trailer.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: Saw this one recently too. 

20190629_102126.jpg.41aec42ee99f80e1caf3698c38525e9d.jpg

• Like 2

WHNJ701
43 minutes ago, adsm08 said:

One day a few years back I ran home for lunch, on my way home I passed a Mustang pulling a couch on a small trailer, and on my way back I passed a Corvette pulling some other furniture on another small trailer.

I've also seen a Jetta pulling a pair of quads on a small trailer.

when I used to fish in some tournaments years ago there was a dude with a z28 pulling a boat