BHunter

Building a horse stable

ebinmaine

Excellent!!!

Keep us posted on the construction progress.

stevebo

Get it done!!

rjg854

It might be hot right now,  but,  come this winter you'll really appreciate all that tough work.  And so will your horses :text-bravo:

• Like 2

BHunter
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Excellent!!!

Keep us posted on the construction progress.

Thanks Eric. I will

• Thanks 1

BHunter
31 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

It might be hot right now,  but,  come this winter you'll really appreciate all that tough work.  And so will your horses :text-bravo:

Thanks. It’s going to be nice having them inside. 

• Like 1

BHunter
1 hour ago, stevebo said:

Get it done!!

Lol. I’m trying Steve. I wish I was Amish. The whole community would show up and it would be done already. 

• Haha 4

BHunter

@stevasaurus I’m going to build a workbench in there just to rebuild Suburban transmissions. I have 3 to rebuild. We are going to start with the Black Burb’s first. My rope  seal is still holding 😊

• Heart 1

stevebo
1 hour ago, BHunter said:

Lol. I’m trying Steve. I wish I was Amish. The whole community would show up and it would be done already. 

You just need to host a "work party" meet and greet. Ask me how I know that works:greetings-waveyellow:... Honestly I hosted a meet and greet when I built my barn and we had to use our wheel horses to haul a bunch of stone to get ready to pour the slab. 

• Excellent 1

WHNJ701
1 hour ago, BHunter said:

@stevasaurus I’m going to build a workbench in there just to rebuild Suburban transmissions. I have 3 to rebuild. We are going to start with the Black Burb’s first. My rope  seal is still holding 😊

you can never have enough storage.

I had the same idea at my old house with the work bench but then I realized I could store another tractor on it.  I always tried to keep everything inside,the new house I built a 8x12 which holds 5 and with a shelves for all the spare parts, I have a 10 x 10 which holds another 2, then 2 in the basement and as much as I hate them I got 2 of 10x 20 shelter logic for all the other tractors, quads and the mustang gt.  last weekend i got a free john deere its the last piece that fits I am now 100% full

BHunter
5 minutes ago, stevebo said:

You just need to host a "work party" meet and greet. Ask me how I know that works:greetings-waveyellow:... Honestly I hosted a meet and greet when I built my barn and we had to use our wheel horses to haul a bunch of stone to get ready to pour the slab. 

That’s a great idea. I remember seeing your pics from that meet. Your barn is awesome. 

BHunter
6 minutes ago, jabelman said:

you can never have enough storage.

I had the same idea at my old house with the work bench but then I realized I could store another tractor on it.  I always tried to keep everything inside,the new house I built a 8x12 which holds 5 and with a shelves for all the spare parts, I have a 10 x 10 which holds another 2, then 2 in the basement and as much as I hate them I got 2 of 10x 20 shelter logic for all the other tractors, quads and the mustang gt.  last weekend i got a free john deere its the last piece that fits I am now 100% full

Your right. The more storage you have, the more you want to fill it. Last year I had my horses in a shelter logic but a storm shredded it. I bought a 8x12 shed for my Suburbans but the other ones sit outside. I sold 3 horses at the big show because I didn’t  want them sitting in the yard. Now I’m building a 12x16 shed to have a workshop and more storage. I have my eye on an 854 and c160 that I want to get

Mows4three

Factoid:

Nature hates a vacuum.  

Build a 16x20 building and as soon as it's done you wish it was 30% larger.  

Cheers!

Dave

• Haha 2

BHunter
17 hours ago, Mows4three said:

Factoid:

Nature hates a vacuum.  

Build a 16x20 building and as soon as it's done you wish it was 30% larger.  

Cheers!

Dave

Thanks Dave,

I wish I had the space to do that. Hi hope to be moving to the country in 5 yrs. Then I’ll get a big pole barn. 

• Thanks 1

BHunter

Well worth the $65.00 Home Depot rental.   Did eight 8” holes in less time than I was able to dig one 6” hole. 

1E15FD98-8049-4C95-9C2B-60A1D6C3E5F3.jpeg

• Like 3

WHNJ701

years of land surveying we set 3 foot long concrete monuments in the middle of no where, we got to be good at digging a holes with a shale bar and post hole digger!

• Like 2

BHunter
1 hour ago, jabelman said:

years of land surveying we set 3 foot long concrete monuments in the middle of no where, we got to be good at digging a holes with a shale bar and post hole digger!

That’s tough work Jason. A shale bar helps a lot. 

stevebo

We expect a photo update aoon

• Like 1

ebinmaine
35 minutes ago, BHunter said:

That’s tough work Jason. A shale bar helps a lot. 

Living on a mountainside such as we do we have a tremendous amount of rocks in the soil. We have one of those bars that is probably 6 ft long, 2 inches wide on one end and a sharp point on the other. Use it, often....

BHunter
32 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Living on a mountainside such as we do we have a tremendous amount of rocks in the soil. We have one of those bars that is probably 6 ft long, 2 inches wide on one end and a sharp point on the other. Use it, often....

You would have a hard time making a hole without one. This is the one I’m using. It’s 6ft long with a chisel end. It’s a good shoulder workout. 

892B57AA-77DF-43A2-8880-CB045B8D9EA5.jpeg

• Like 2

BHunter
51 minutes ago, stevebo said:

We expect a photo update aoon

I’ll do one tomorrow after I pour the footings and start laying out the beams

• Like 1

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, BHunter said:

would have a hard time making a hole without one.

We have so much rock in the ground here that we don't even bother to dig anything by hand. That and living in a forest with all the tree roots. It's virtually impossible to move soil manually.

Anytime we want to do anything we just call in medium or heavy equipment depending on the size of the job.

I'd love to be able to use small stuff like that post hole digger you rented but it just really would not be an option.

• Like 1

BHunter
5 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

We have so much rock in the ground here that we don't even bother to dig anything by hand. That and living in a forest with all the tree roots. It's virtually impossible to move soil manually.

Anytime we want to do anything we just call in medium or heavy equipment depending on the size of the job.

I'd love to be able to use small stuff like that post hole digger you rented but it just really would not be an option.

That’s rough and expensive. It’s amazing how the trees can find a way to grow on all that rock. 

My parents have a house in the Pocono mountains and it’s similar to what you have there. We can’t dig there either. We made some raised flower beds and planted a bunch of bushes and Alberta spruce. It worked out ok but took a lot of topsoil.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, BHunter said:

That’s rough and expensive. It’s amazing how the trees can find a way to grow on all that rock. 

My parents have a house in the Pocono mountains and it’s similar to what you have there. We can’t dig there either. We made some raised flower beds and planted a bunch of bushes and Alberta spruce. It worked out ok but took a lot of topsoil.

Yeah you should have seen the tree roots when I was clearing the land for my own horse stable a couple months ago.

They don't go around the rocks they go through them.

You think to yourself. Yeah I can cut that root out of the way. Nope. You need a sledgehammer.

We do the raised beds for our flowers and small vegetable garden here as well.

No worries. It's all good.

RandyLittrell

I have the same bar, but we always called it a railroad bar. When unloading train cars, you use it to open the hoppers and bang on the sides to keep things moving. I Unloaded fertilizer cars in high school at the local COOP. But we have used it for the same thing you have. 

Randy