Baxter 1

1054 grind..

Baxter 1

Hi,

New here and I just bought a 1054 wheel horse last week. Worked on it all week and got it running! Now when I replaced to main belt it grinds to engage the gears. Can slam it in but when The mower is engaged it dies.. Transmission re build? Or too tight of belt,

SPINJIM

Do you have the belt guard on?   It acts as a guide to cause slack on the belt so that it will disengage the engine pulley.   The little tab sticking out in front of the belt guide is also important and might need to be adjusted.   Other possibility is an adjustment needed on the clutch connecting rod.   Something is not allowing the belt to disengage.  I went through the same thing a month ago, and the belt guard adjustments solved the problem without changing belts.

Good luck,   Jim

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

Belt guard was my first thought as well.

:wwp:

:WRS:

• Thanks 1

Achto

:WRS:  I agree with the above statements. When you step on the clutch the belt should come to a complete stop. If the tab on the front of the belt guard is still there, Bend it so that it only clears the belt by about 1/8 inch when the brake peddle is up. When you step on the brake the outside of the belt should rest on the tab.

• Like 2

953 nut

On the 953/1054 models there are several components to look at. There is a piece of angle iron that runs below the belt that MUST be in place, There is a belt guide bolted to the inside of the right fender that keeps the belt from coming off the transmission pulley, there is a tab over the idler pulley on the clutch arm that catches the belt to slow it as the clutch is depressed. As mentioned previously there is a 1/8" round stock tab that keeps the belt on the engine pulley when slack. All of these must be in place to stop the belt from moving with the clutch depressed.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

squonk

Guys, My 953 belt guard has no tabs to speak of on it and no evidence there was ever one on it. I bought the tractor at the show and the belt was worn. Calls for an 82" belt. I got a new belt and am having the same problem. The metal guide wire that bolts to the engine, does it go under the front edge of the belt guard? I have been slipping the belt in 3rd gear to "wear the belt in and it is getting better. 

I found a picture of the inside of the belt guard on E bay. The only guide I see is for the hyd pump.

s-l1600.jpg.fe654251dfecefc2b83b0e58d821086e.jpg

• Like 1

squonk
2 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

On the 953/1054 models there are several components to look at. There is a piece of angle iron that runs below the belt that MUST be in place, There is a belt guide bolted to the inside of the right fender that keeps the belt from coming off the transmission pulley, there is a tab over the idler pulley on the clutch arm that catches the belt to slow it as the clutch is depressed. As mentioned previously there is a 1/8" round stock tab that keeps the belt on the engine pulley when slack. All of these must be in place to stop the belt from moving with the clutch depressed.

Richard is that round stock above or below the guard?  I didn't notice the rear fender guide. I'll have to look again.

953 nut

I will take a couple pictures this afternoon, tied up this morning.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Shynon

Here's mine 

20190629_063804.jpg

20190629_063837.jpg

20190629_063947.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

squonk

Thanks Tom. I know my front guide was no where near that position. I'll have to check the back.

• Like 2

squonk

Here is a pic of my front guide Looks shorter than Tom's . The rear guide is missing.

1450969305_belt001.JPG.56a8f4e8e882e0ea62905fd948ff8b0e.JPG365975476_belt001.JPG.5dc8c449d1c125560f6f5c6f4717da6f.JPG

• Like 2

oliver2-44

Excellent information here!

• Like 1

Baxter 1
6 hours ago, SPINJIM said:

Do you have the belt guard on?   It acts as a guide to cause slack on the belt so that it will disengage the engine pulley.   The little tab sticking out in front of the belt guide is also important and might need to be adjusted.   Other possibility is an adjustment needed on the clutch connecting rod.   Something is not allowing the belt to disengage.  I went through the same thing a month ago, and the belt guard adjustments solved the problem without changing belts.

Good luck,   Jim

Thanks Jim! Wow love how many new ideas are being posted here. Belt gaurd is on and all tabs are in place. I will check the clutch connecting rod next? Where is that..

20190623_124649.jpg

20190623_124656.jpg

• Excellent 1

squonk

Here is a picture of my belt in the pedal depressed position. It is acting better. I can stop the belt if in gear and the brake on. I can shift between gears. If I run it in neutral and depress the clutch the belt doesn't stop and I cannot shift into a gear. I do have a Napa green belt on it which tends to be a little more grippy. Perhaps some more wearing it in will take care of it.

609701157_belt2001.JPG.73a35f0f8a741be1b12055724b516ff0.JPG

Shynon

Here's a picture from the manual

20170531_153930.jpg

• Excellent 2

953 nut

102_3241.JPG.919fbe7dfa9696727d766b67e0c8e91b.JPG

The Rear Belt Stop may not be as close as it should be. There is a 3/8" bolt through the side of the rear fender that allows you to adjust the belt stop.

Edited by 953 nut

squonk
45 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

The Rear Belt Stop may not be as close as it should be. There is a 3/8" bolt through the side of the rear fender that allows you to adjust the belt stop.

How critical is the rear stop?  Mine is missing. What's strange is that the tractor worked fine with the old belt. The old belt was 1/2" wide by 81" long. I put on a 1/2 x 82" on it and it drags

• Sad 1

953 nut
2 hours ago, squonk said:

Mine is missing.

Have never attempted running without it.    :confusion-confused:     Seems like they would grab the belt slack at the drive pulley, but other models don't have it. Fellow on :techie-ebay: has a few, I will PM you the listing.

• Like 1

Baxter 1
On 6/29/2019 at 7:47 AM, Shynon said:

Here's a picture from the manual

20170531_153930.jpg

Do you have the manual you can post? I need to figure out where the clutch adjustment is.

953 nut

• Thanks 1

Baxter 1
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

Thanks this is the wiring for the 1054 . I am looking for the operating manuals. If you have it thanks.

Shynon
20 minutes ago, Baxter 1 said:

I am looking for the operating manuals.

click on download the file, then there are 3 choices, download the 1st one and scroll down you will find what you are looking for.

• Excellent 1

squonk

I took the 953 out for another ride today. Before I did I made another adjustment. Look at the picture from @WHX24's 953. The belt retainer thingy on the idler pulley is toward the rear. I had mine in the middle and tried it towards the front. I moved it to the rear (like Slim Jim's ) put the guard back on and went for a ride. I don't know if it was coincidence or not but the belt now will stop even in neutral with the clutch depressed. 

1398003447_20190630_1307531.jpg.6dd44fbb1cca28d5ab8a56fe2ea34168.jpg.fb7ef5c6ed80f6c53aeb00d063e45da8.jpg

Edited by squonk
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

There really is no clutch adjustment as such for the transmission.  The right belt and tension pulley and the stops that funnel the slack are the clutch.  The clutch adjustment that you are referring to only raises and lowers the height of the clutch pedal for your leg length comfort..

• Like 1

953 nut
9 hours ago, squonk said:

The belt retainer thingy on the idler pulley is toward the rear. I had mine in the middle and tried it towards the front. I moved it to the rear

Mine is at the top with the clutch released.

102_3246.JPG.80c065b981eea8717c4efd332dd078b0.JPG

With the clutch depressed it grabs the belt slack.

102_3247.JPG.afe7fea9ca53c14f98e841f3f5648a00.JPG

• Like 1