Stepney

Sickle bar question

Stepney

Hello, all. After a bit of a search last year I stumbled onto a 7-1311 50" side sickle for my long frame tractors.. after passing up a few short frame variants. 

Well, as much as I like this thing, I rarely do use it, and it's a bear to mount/dismount. Might have a crack at buying an 854 with a hydro lift here pretty soon. My sickle uses the older foot pedal pto. Seems to me the only difference between the two models is the frame length on the sickle. 

Looking under mine, the mount 'shaft' can collapse about another 2" or so. I think I may have read somewhere, way back, that the 7-1311 can work on both short and long frames, but the older ones only fit the short? 

Would anyone happen to know this answer? For the little I use it an 854 would be a bit easier to store than hogging my big E-12 with it all the time. 
For one, a good excuse to have another roundhood. And two, I think it'd look good mounted up. But overall it would free up the one I actually keep on the job, since it was repowered with a 16hp. 

Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 1.19.57 PM.png

Edited by Stepney
  • Like 4

Pullstart

I have zero clue on your answer, possibly @Lane Ranger could help?  All I know, is it seems sickle bars cut so nice!

Stepney
4 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I have zero clue on your answer, possibly @Lane Ranger could help?  All I know, is it seems sickle bars cut so nice!

Yes, with any luck. I love the old unit, but it would be nice to free up a Horse for other jobs, the bar makes it a bit hard to move around my yard. And I have wanted an excuse to own a roundhood, so if it fits, there's two for one. 

Lane Ranger

Jennifer the two parts you are pointing too are often missing.  The part with decal was not always included on the sickle bar main frame.  I had three st show and.only two had that part.  The part is just a cover for the two pillows in the main frame .  The other heavy rod is a grass/weed deflector! That can be made easily.  I do not have those parts.

• Like 1

Jennifer
29 minutes ago, Lane Ranger said:

Jennifer the two parts you are pointing too are often missing.  The part with decal was not always included on the sickle bar main frame.  I had three st show and.only two had that part.  The part is just a cover for the two pillows in the main frame .  The other heavy rod is a grass/weed deflector! That can be made easily.  I do not have those parts.

Thank you

Stepney
1 hour ago, Lane Ranger said:

I take it this response was intended for the other sickle bar post about the SMS? 

I have both those parts on this unit. If measurements were wanted to make replicas. 

Speaking of. Lane, you wouldn't happen to have any idea about this unit fitting on a short frame? 

Edited by Stepney
  • Like 1

Shynon

I had mine on a short frame 867. Never hooked up a belt or used it. Was displayed 

20180603_130324.jpg

• Like 2

Stepney
1 hour ago, Shynon said:

I had mine on a short frame 867. Never hooked up a belt or used it. Was displayed 

20180603_130324.jpg

Was that a 7-1311 'long frame' model though? Can't quite see the lower bracket on that photo. 

• Like 1

Shynon
7 hours ago, Stepney said:

Was that a 7-1311 'long frame' model though?

Yes

• Like 1

Stepney
1 hour ago, Shynon said:

Yes

If you ever did look, how much clearance was there at the rear, do you think it may actually work? From what I could see in photos, it looked like the distance on some of the short frame sickles, at the rear, was different. But I really don't have one to compare. 

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

8ADA595C-1C9B-4641-BA6E-0D5E3F7D5E62.jpeg.c661f991325fcb2907ac61f0bbeab931.jpeg68479BA1-88F1-4C21-9107-895F1C13110D.jpeg.2c456e45508ed56737c0e7aadce6c4b6.jpeg

Stepney: 

The 702  short frame has a 42 inch sickle bar that I reworked on it.

The 854  has the 50 inch   7-1312  (same basic model as the 7-1311).

The 50 operated fine on the 854  but  I think a ten or 12 HP motor makes it run better.

The 42 inch is better suited for the small frame tractors.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Stepney
1 hour ago, Lane Ranger said:

8ADA595C-1C9B-4641-BA6E-0D5E3F7D5E62.jpeg.c661f991325fcb2907ac61f0bbeab931.jpeg68479BA1-88F1-4C21-9107-895F1C13110D.jpeg.2c456e45508ed56737c0e7aadce6c4b6.jpeg

Stepney: 

The 702  short frame has a 42 inch sickle bar that I reworked on it.

The 854  has the 50 inch   7-1312  (same basic model as the 7-1311).

The 50 operated fine on the 854  but  I think a ten or 12 HP motor makes it run better.

The 42 inch is better suited for the small frame tractors.

The one thing that had me hung up was the little 'curve' at the far end of the sickle frame, wasn't sure if there would be enough room to tighten the belt and lock that little lock collar. Nice to know it works. 

• Like 2

Stormin

My C81 is my designated sickle bar tractor. Had to make my own drive up.1880762337_2002-01-0318_20_20.jpg.50c237c7697eab10338f2a88a4687eb1.jpg

• Like 4

Thegearhead0324

I got a 7 1312 7 on my 1257 which is long frame with no mods needed. I got it running on the pto pulley and only used it twice running low idle. 

20170620_174658.jpg

• Like 4