Pat Marchwick

Most dependable and trouble free larger machine ?

Pat Marchwick

Which is more dependable in the larger size motor machines?

wheelhorse with 16hp, 18,hp, 20hp onan motors 500 series machines or the larger size 500 machines or other series with kohler motors ?

looking for one that's hydrostatic to operate a two stage in the winter. I have a 520h and it works great but do all size Oran's have the valve seat issue or is it only the 20hp motors.

thank you

JAinVA

I like my Onans but for anvil toughness and simplicity I vote for the 16 horse Kohler.I have one that has over 1400 hours on it.It was used commercially and received only minimal maintenance.It uses a little oil but still runs like a champ.You could rebuild 2 Kohlers for less than 1 Onan.JMHO.

• Like 5

pfrederi

Single K series 16  or if you want  a bit more a Kohler 18 Magnum.  i agree with Jim Onan parts are way more expensive.

If you want trouble free i would look back to a C series.  400 series and later introduced a lot of electrical stuff that was unnecessary and the cause of much trouble.  just look at the 520 listings in the electrical forum.

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 7

oliver2-44
34 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Single K series 16  or if you want  a bit more a Kohler 18 Magnum.  i agree with Jim Onan parts are way more expensive.

If you want trouble free i would look back to a C series.  400 series and later introduced a lot of electrical stuff that was unnecessary and the cause of much trouble.  just look at the 520 listings in the electrical forum.

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

JAinVA

You might get lucky and find a 520 with a bad Onan and then you can repower with any of the Kohlers mentioned.What Paul said about the electrical issues on the 3/4/500 series is spot on.They can be a real headache to keep up with.

• Like 5

Lee1977

As for the recommendation of a C-series the best is the 1976 and 1977 C-160 every thing you need and nothing you don't.  

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, Pat Marchwick said:

Which is more dependable in the larger size motor machines?

wheelhorse with 16hp, 18,hp, 20hp onan motors 500 series machines or the larger size 500 machines or other series with kohler motors ?

looking for one that's hydrostatic to operate a two stage in the winter. I have a 520h and it works great but do all size Oran's have the valve seat issue or is it only the 20hp motors.

thank you

If you already have a 520H and are pleased with it I would look no further... I bought my first 520 brand new... NO valve seat issues yet and it was my 4 seasons machine I also tried the newer 5xi series they are nice but (IMO) I didn't like the foot pedal motion control but did like the 2 speed transaxle with cruise control, the biggest down side is implement availabilty unlike the B,C,3,4,500 series of implements...again just my personal experiences and opinion Kohlers are decent engines but don't have the "grunt" of a properly tuned and running twin ONAN.

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

roadapples
55 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

As for the recommendation of a C-series the best is the 1976 and 1977 C-160 every thing you need and nothing you don't.  

What's wrong with 74-75???

• Like 2

clueless
2 hours ago, pfrederi said:

I've got a 1997 416-8 with 230 hr with the Onan. I am in the process of cleaning up a 1977 C160 with well over 1000 hr. When done putting the C back together the 416-8 will be for sell. I have many weak point, but electrical is the worst, I counted 8 wires on the C and I know at lest 3 can be eliminated and it will run just fine. I stopped counting wires at 18 on the 416 :o. Also the Onan is kinda like car engines today you need to remove a lot of stuff to check or replace things.

• Like 4

ericj

The 88 & 89 onan's had the least amount of wiring problems. Very rare do you see any problems with the 9 pin connectors.The early 90's only had one or 2 relays and didn't have as many issues with them as the later 90's did. When you have a big onan running right it purrs like a kitten, but growls like a lion when loaded up against the governor. They are very hard to beat when it comes to power and torque. I just sold an onan P220 from a horse to a guy that's putting it on a Steiner. He said he 2 one with an onan and one with an 18 hp Kohler, the Kohler can't hold a candle to the onan, his words not mine. I heard a story one time that somebody blew up the motor in his Steiner and they had to put a 30 hp Kohler command in to equal the power of that 20 hp onan.

eric j   

Edited by ericj
  • Like 1
  • Heart 1

Lee1977
4 hours ago, roadapples said:

What's wrong with 74-75???

Personal preference. Never cared for the flip up fender. The 76 and 77 have the option of the rocker shaft.

• Like 3

953 nut

My 418-C has made a believer of me, the Kohler opposed twin engine (KT) is strong and dependable; it pushes snow effortlessly.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 4

pfrederi
5 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

My 418-C has made a believer of me, the Kohler opposed twin engine (KT) is strong and dependable; it pushes snow effortlessly.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

the c version did away with idiot lights and other needless extra electronics.  Wish my 418 A was a C

• Like 3

littleredrider

I've had my 520-8 for only couple years now, and never had any issues with it. I had bad gas in it one time and didn't run very good, but put some Seafoam in it and fresh gas and has been going since. I mow bout an acre a week, and never skips a beat. It need a new drive belt and possibly a pulley, but that is my fault, hit a rock with the trans pulley. I have zero storage so it sits out in the elements, and all the idiot lights and gauges work. Head/tail lights too.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

For ultimate efficiency, I believe a goat might be the best for mowing, pig for tilling, chicken for spreading fertilizer and a kid for planting.  But it depends on what you’re trying to accomplish :ychain:

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

The Tuul Crib
3 minutes ago, pullstart said:

For ultimate efficiency, I believe a goat might be the best for mowing, pig for tilling, chicken for spreading fertilizer and a kid for planting.  But it depends on what you’re trying to accomplish :ychain:

Would those be fainting goats??

• Haha 1

wholdguy

My experience is with the 1970 Charger 12 ( Tecumseh 12hp ) owned for about 4 years now.  Mostly use it for mowing with the 42 inch side discharge mower and sometimes pulling out old tree stumps.   This one seems to have plenty of power for my use and I do like the Hydro for mowing on our hilly yard.  It is a simple machine and the only gadget on it is the cigar lighter!  These old machines are cheap to buy.

I don't have any other attachments for it, such as a blade or thrower.

Never had any engine problems, but if something happened I'm not sure what I would do?

G.

Guest 88vic

You could ask us here !  Between the awesome advice and parts to keep you going, we got you covered.