giantsean

C-101 - this a good deal?

giantsean

I mean generally yes... if it runs, but still asking.  Found this locally but it's represented as a "1980's" C-101 and I didn't think they made C's into the 80's.  Obviously repainted but they say it's all original and looks pretty clean from the pics (have not looked in person yet).  Asking 500 but I figure start at 3.  He also says muffler is shot but mufflers are pretty easy unless there are some C-series headaches I'm missing.  

I don't need the plow... already have 2 D series and a plow.  I have a Scag to mow just looking for a smaller puller to replace my Crapsman LT for aerators and such.  Are C's somewhere between a typical LT and a D in size?  Are parts still available?  If so, this may be a winner.  Only other clean, interesting horse in this price range that I can see available is a late 80's 211-4.

Thanks for any input!

"1980s wheel horse c101 heavy duty tractor. Comes with wheel weights and chains, plow, and garden trailer"

56815887_1043731632680960_1112529725189783552_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_oc=AQnDtSR4yRt2iaM5pFukzla986zrAFL8XbgkWfGzQlN2yCcX0g79C-9pfoRp_eqiCVo&_nc_ht=scontent.fbed1-1.fna&oh=19406b37f28490731ca7d8a7381388b4&oe=5D83CADA

57001945_1043730432681080_5528114421714386944_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_oc=AQkOyVR1KFlM2StGF82oqAEnd9kPD3-4rAb8WivBLKa1_gsr8SYvefCK8IZH8f-5GFY&_nc_ht=scontent.fbed1-1.fna&oh=6ce9e404e84c4626612f9c1cb97e26df&oe=5DC4A3A6

56517018_1043730312681092_1734789393102667776_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_oc=AQm4cV9_ti0fYovHVD7jUoLJfILItax8P17suaTgd-WvH8Kb3AaQJj8rOk2X3-dthQ0&_nc_ht=scontent.fbed1-2.fna&oh=b145dcf8a4756d41cfc41b86072afd86&oe=5D89D2D4

• Like 1

jammankel

i believe its a good deal as long as it runs good

• Like 1

Sparky

So the plow and axle bracket are worth at least $200, the weights are $75, the 4 link chains are worth $25 and the trailer maybe $50 (not sure about it being a WH trailer).

There’s $350 right there, so if it runs good and shifts thru the gears (and hi/low range) and the tires aren’t shot it’s worth asking price.

Of course if the price isn’t firm make an offer, less $$$ is always nice, but expect to pay $400 plus.

Just my opinion B)

• Like 4

The Tuul Crib
51 minutes ago, Sparky said:

So the plow and axle bracket are worth at least $200, the weights are $75, the 4 link chains are worth $25 and the trailer maybe $50 (not sure about it being a WH trailer).

There’s $350 right there, so if it runs good and shifts thru the gears (and hi/low range) and the tires aren’t shot it’s worth asking price.

Of course if the price isn’t firm make an offer, less $$$ is always nice, but expect to pay $400 plus.

Just my opinion B)

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

clueless

It's not a 80's tractor most likely a 78-79 C-101, can't tell if it has the cradle or a solid engine mount. Still not a bad price.

• Like 1

clueless

He not sure what year it is, says the muffler is shot but it runs. If it starts and run with out much smoke and it run at high speed and at idle with out any problems, tell him $400.00.

• Like 1

DG1776

Looks like a pretty good deal to me even if you part out some of that stuff like the others have said.  If you end up getting this and don't have a use for those wheel weights and chains PM me and let me know if your willing to part with them and ship them. :)  Otherwise as long as it runs, it looks like it is in pretty decent shape. 

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

Is the tiller in good shape?

• Like 1

clueless
1 hour ago, The Tool Crib said:

Is the tiller in good shape?

I don't think there is a tiller.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, giantsean said:

Are C's somewhere between a typical LT and a D in size?  Are parts still available?  If so, this may be a winner.  Only other clean, interesting horse in this price range that I can see available is a late 80's 211-4

A C weighs about 575 to 600 without the plow or wheel weights.

Roughly twice the weight of an average new fangled throw away LT.

So your size assumption is about right.

Parts availability is fantastic. No worries there at all.

Best to avoid the 200 series if you're looking for a tow rig.  B or C would suit you better.

• Like 3

The Tuul Crib
2 hours ago, clueless said:

I don't think there is a tiller.

Lol l gotta clean my glasses!! Sorry!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

ZXT
5 hours ago, clueless said:

He not sure what year it is, says the muffler is shot but it runs. If it starts and run with out much smoke and it run at high speed and at idle with out any problems, tell him $400.00.

I'd still start at $300 and you'll probably wind up with it for $400. Start at $400 and you probably won't get it for much less than the asking price. 

Good deal either way.

• Like 3

oliver2-44

The C series are great all around work tractors. The C-80 or 81 (8hp) to the C-160 or 161 (16hp) share all the same parts except the bigger engine. So a 10 HP C-101 is overbuilt in  many ways.    

• Like 4

clueless
8 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

The C series are great all around work tractors. The C-80 or 81 (8hp) to the C-160 or 161 (16hp) share all the same parts except the bigger engine. So a 10 HP C-101 is overbuilt in  many ways.    

Overbuilt :handgestures-thumbupleft:

• Like 1

giantsean

Thanks you guys are the best!  I'll go check it out today and see how it goes... hopefully will come back with something new that my wife can hate me for :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, giantsean said:

Thanks you guys are the best!  I'll go check it out today and see how it goes... hopefully will come back with something new that my wife can hate me for :P

if she doesn't already have her own tractor start doing some market research. This involves sneaking subtle questions in such as... Hey honey? Which one do you think is cute?

Following the establishment of the appropriate and accurate answers you can feel free to purchase one tractor for her for every tractor that you have.

I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

• Haha 1

Stormin
15 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

if she doesn't already have her own tractor start doing some market research. This involves sneaking subtle questions in such as... Hey honey? Which one do you think is cute?

Following the establishment of the appropriate and accurate answers you can feel free to purchase one tractor for her for every tractor that you have.

I must try that one day but something tells me it won't work. :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

giantsean
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I'm gonna be bold and bet you are not married :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
14 minutes ago, giantsean said:

I'm gonna be bold and bet you are not married :P

Technically that's true but I do have one of these that lives with me

She's amazing.

And the tractor is nice too....

:happy-partydance:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

giantsean
17 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Technically that's true but I do have one of these that lives with me

She's amazing.

And the tractor is nice too....

:happy-partydance:

That's overcomplicating your life by half... but at least she has all her original parts!

• Excellent 1

giantsean

So come to find out the unit was not sold after all.  All mine for the princely sum of $320 American dollars.  I had to get to a picnic and figured at that price I could part it out and probably make money so I didn't kick the tires too long.

The good:  Overall in good shape, muffler is actually fine, pulls strong, all original except new front tires, new points, all gears work in high and low, someone installed a 12v accessory plug for some reason (AND even fused it! :P)

The bad:  Tranny has a slow leak on the left side seal (hopefully not TOO bad a job... caught it a little late), gear shifting is a little hit and miss but eventually gets there, surges a bit at full throttle (idle is ok) but probably needs a carb clean and/or other tuning, or maybe an electric pump. 

If there is enough to do on it I'll start a new thread, but for now it's all mine :)

Thx again for all the feedback!  HBD Murica!

Edited by giantsean
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Sparky

Excellent! You cant go wrong at only $320.

Pullstart
On 6/20/2019 at 12:33 PM, ebinmaine said:

If there was any way we could archive when you give relationship handling advice, we could publish an entire “relationships with tractors in the mix for dummies”, albums 1-5!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, pullstart said:

If there was any way we could archive when you give relationship handling advice, we could publish an entire “relationships with tractors in the mix for dummies”, albums 1-5!

You may very well be able to get more than five volumes out of that.

I've told friends and family quite a few times over the years...

As the person who is giving the advice, I would have to say it is in your best interest to follow nearly zero of what I say.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Heart 1