Bill D

Electronic Ignition for KT17

Bill D

Has any one tried putting one of Brian Miller's electronic ignition kits on their KT17 or any other Kohler K series?  I may need to convert my KT17 as I suspect the lobe on the cam for the pushrod may be worn.  I can't get the timing right unless the points are gapped at .014.  Thanks.

Bill

953 nut

I haven't used it but did see that it is for the Kohler Opposed Twin engines. The one that operates on the PTO end of the crank would not allow the proper installation of your drive pulley. The flywheel end kit looks very promising though.

Brian Miller and his people will answer any questions you might have and have a good track record.

comgsoon.gifkttriggr.gif(Posted 11/3/17) Custom Flywheel-Trigger Electronic Ignition Conversion Kits for Kohler opposed twin cylinder engine models KT17 Series II and KT19 Series II. This ignition system works flawlessly! Replaces points and condenser. Ignition points can be removed and the points pushrod hole can be permanently plugged with a short 1/4" bolt, Allen set screw or clear RTV silicone adhesive sealant. Each ignition system listed below works excellent with the OEM Kohler 4.0 ohm twin cylinder ignition coil to produce a strong, reliable spark. NOTE: Two bosses on the #1 cylinder (right side when facing flywheel) must be drilled and tapped to accept 1/4-20 UNC x 1" mounting bolts (drill only 3/4" deep; do not drill all the way through the cylinder wall!), and a specific location on the edge of the flywheel must be drilled and tappedto accept the 6-32 UNC (coarse thread) detectable target screw or magnet w/cushioning/isolator rubber washer and screw. The sensor is activated by the South pole of the magnet, so do not remove the screw from the magnet! Install screw in flywheel with high strength liquid threadlocker (Red Loctite, Permatex or equivalent), and tighten screw w/magnet just when the rubber washer begin to bulge. (FYI - When storing an opened, but capped container of liquid threadlocker or Super Glue, store it upright and not laying flat. The [capped] tip will not dry out and clog when stored upright.) An original, ingenious and innovative concept design invention by Brian Miller. These ignition systems will not work on the first design KT17 and KT19 engines because there are no bosses on the cylinder(s) to drill for bolt holes to mount the ignition bracket. However, the cylinder(s) off a KT17 Series II, MV16, M18 and MV18 will work on a first design KT17 engine, and the cylinder(s) off a KT19 Series II, M20 and MV20 engine will work on a first design KT19 engine. The only difference between the KT17, KT17 Series II, MV16, M18 and MV18 cylinders, and KT19, KT19 Series II, M20 and MV20 cylinders is the length of the valves. I realize this would be a lot of work just to use electronic ignition on a first design KT17 or KT19 engine, but this is the best way of making it happen.

twintrig.jpg

Complete ignition kit with PerTronix Ignitor module/sensor and mounting bracket. Module is triggered by a small magnet fastened on edge of flywheel. Simple two wire hook-up; Black wire on module/sensor connects to coil negative (–) terminal, and Red wire on module/sensor connects to coil positive (+) terminal, which also connects to ignition switch. Picture of PerTronix Ignitor Kit mounted on a KT17 Series II engine posted to the right.

• $150.00 per kit, plus shipping & handling.

Complete ignition kit with cube-shaped 3-wire inductive proximity sensor and GM 4-pin HEI module with mounting bracket. Sensor is triggered by a small screw with a 1/4" length aluminum spacer fastened on edge of flywheel. Kit comes with ignition components fastened on an aluminum plate and prewired. Simple two wire hook-up; Black wire connects to coil negative (–) terminal, and Red wire connects to coil positive (+) terminal, which also connects to ignition switch. Picture of this ignition kit mounted on engine will be posted here soon.

• $125.00 per kit, plus shipping & handling.