Mudrig150

Kohler magnum vertical to horizontal?

Mudrig150

I was just wondering if a vertical kohler magnum can be converted to horizontal shaft. I know I'll need the end plate, intake and muffler, dipstick, and pick up tube. Anything else?

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Does a vertical have a horizontal mounting flange?

Mudrig150

Yeah. Kohler and briggs both used mounting flanges on the bottom (or back side of a vertical) of the engine. The blocks are the same, they just changed the front (or bottom, in a vertical) bearing plate.

953 nut

Don't forget lubrication.   What Kohler model are you changing over?

Mudrig150

Probably a kohler twin

953 nut
3 hours ago, Mudrig150 said:

Probably a kohler twin

The oil pump pick up would have to be relocated and a dip stick and tube from a horizontal  engine will be needed. Also, it seems that the valve spring area drain holes and vent cover will be needing attention. The oil drain plug will need to be relocated and I'm sure there are other little but very important items to be addressed.

Having a horizontal crank parts engine will be important. When you do this please take lots of pictures and share your experience with us.    :wwp:

• Like 1

Mudrig150

Good thing I have an entire magnum 20 parts engine.

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib

I definitely will be watching this one. It ought to be interesting for sure! 

:popcorn:

ztnoo

I'm going to play The Devil's Advocate here ..........  wouldn't you just be time and money ahead to buy a horizontal shaft engine, rather than messing with a really odd, quirky, and risky engine modification of this nature???  

:angry-soapbox: :scratchead: :confusion-shrug:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

953 nut

Having the availability of a complete parts engine this should be a quick simple conversion. I have one I probably will be doing this winter so am very interested in the outcome.

A good running vertical crank engine tends to sell for half the price of a comparable horizontal engine. Once the word gets out about this conversion the price will skyrocket, so stock up now!    :ychain:

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, ztnoo said:

I'm going to play The Devil's Advocate here ..........  wouldn't you just be time and money ahead to buy a horizontal shaft engine, rather than messing with a really odd, quirky, and risky engine modification of this nature???  

:angry-soapbox: :scratchead: :confusion-shrug:

3 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Having the availability of a complete parts engine this should be a quick simple conversion. I have one I probably will be doing this winter so am very interested in the outcome.

A good running vertical crank engine tends to sell for half the price of a comparable horizontal engine. Once the word gets out about this conversion the price will skyrocket, so stock up now!    :ychain:

Steve let me just clarify ahead of time that I've not actually done this conversion myself.

I have no idea of where, but I've seen this written about in the past.

I remember thinking that it really didn't seem like a bad idea to me. The amount of work would actually be very comparable because you need to disassemble an engine to rebuild it.

As Richard stated above, vertical shaft engines are much more plentiful and far less expensive then horizontals.

In my area you can get a modern vertical shaft tractor for anywhere between free and $100 without a mowing deck.

You can't even begin to think about touching a Wheelhorse for less than $200 to $400 and they go way up from there. Prices are ridiculously over-inflated for older machines.

• Like 1