Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

953 nut
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Bath time!

Its about time you took a bath......................:hide:...................OH...............the Wheel Horses, not you..........................:ychain:

• Haha 5

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Its about time you took a bath......................:hide:...................OH...............the Wheel Horses, not you..........................:ychain:

NOT ME!!!

It isn't even close to spring yet.  

• Haha 5

Wheelhorse#1

Spent some time going through the recently purchased c-101 8 .

Drained trans, and a half gallon of water drained out before the  gear oil.

Went over the k241 and got it running ,needs some maint  items  one being shaker plate mounts but runs great 👍 

Is that the dreaded green paint of a JD I see :blink:

IMG_8804.jpeg

IMG_8811.jpeg

IMG_8810.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, Wheelhorse#1 said:

one being shaker plate mounts

Switch to solid. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Wheelhorse#1
Just now, ebinmaine said:

Switch to solid. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Yea Sir just ordered a set 👍 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don

I had a 400 hour 518-H Eaton 700 hydro tractor where the pump/motor had died from PO abuse. I merged the engine and many other bits of it with a more recent 520-H chassis and the rest has been parted to other uses.

The last big piece was the transaxle minus the pump/motor. I’ve torn that down to retrieve the hubs, 8-pinion differential, and axles as potential spares. The diff and axle bearings are all in fine shape--does it make sense to try to extract any of them? How?

I’ve also got the gears and brake shaft which look nearly pristine--the brake drum is badly rusted.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
23 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

I had a 400 hour 518-H Eaton 700 hydro tractor where the pump/motor had died from PO abuse. I merged the engine and many other bits of it with a more recent 520-H chassis and the rest has been parted to other uses.

The last big piece was the transaxle minus the pump/motor. I’ve torn that down to retrieve the hubs, 8-pinion differential, and axles as potential spares. The diff and axle bearings are all in fine shape--does it make sense to try to extract any of them? How?

I’ve also got the gears and brake shaft which look nearly pristine--the brake drum is badly rusted.

As you know I'm not that familiar with the '80s and newer stuff. I would think if the bearings are good, it would make sense to save them.

I have a driver kit that I use for the wheel bearing sometimes or, a correct size closet pole. It can be tough to save those because driving them out tends to crush the ends.

I wonder if the case of that would be the same as a case for something else like a Sundstrand or the Eaton 1100? Never seen them Side by side.

If no one else speaks up for that and you don't want to hang on to it, you're welcome to leave it with me this saturday.

kpinnc
36 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

The diff and axle bearings are all in fine shape--does it make sense to try to extract any of them?

I don't think the bearings are the same OD as the ones in a manual transmission. If I recall correctly they are slightly larger. 

But between a 700-series and 1100, the gearbox (transaxle per the manual) is identical. This rule is broken only on a 520-HC that has a slightly larger input gear on the pump. All others an adapter plate is used to mount the smaller 700 pump, and the return hydraulic lines are plugged. 

Edited by kpinnc
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
59 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

I don't think the bearings are the same OD as the ones in a manual transmission. If I recall correctly they are slightly larger. 

But between a 700-series and 1100, the gearbox (transaxle per the manual) is identical. This rule is broken only on a 520-HC that has a slightly larger input gear on the pump. All others an adapter plate is used to mount the smaller 700 pump, and the return hydraulic lines are plugged. 

@Handy Don

Given the above info... I'd be interested in having the spare parts. 

Up to you. No worries. 

Handy Don
46 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

Thanks. I’m betting the diff and axle bearings are “standard” since a unique diff housing would seem unnecessary and the axle is the usual 1-⅛” -- but ya never know!

I was hoping that someone might use the transaxle intact (without the 700 adaptor) so I posted the parts tractor in the classifieds and in the run-up thread to the Big Show but no takers. Hence, torn down. 

I was able to easily and smoothly remove the bearing on the brake shaft using a bearing setting tool. The axle and reduction gear needle bearings are probably not removable without damage due to the way they are seated, but the big (pricey) ball bearings at the diff?  I’m gonna bring the casing to my friendly mechanic shop and see what he says.

The axles themselves are surely different from the 6- and 8-speeds, as they are substantially unequal lengths.

ebinmaine
12 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

but the big (pricey) ball bearings at the diff?  I’m gonna bring the casing to my friendly mechanic shop and see what he says

I've never tried to take those out of an automatic so take this with a grain of salt.

Neat little trick that I learned from Lincoln at A to Z Tractor in PA. 

I have used a 3/4 diameter bolt or threaded rod with a washer sized so that it fits just barely through the center hole. Must be a hair under 1 1/8?

If you put a nut, the washer, and another nut. Tighten it all up. You now have a flange on a stick, so to speak. You can get that washer stuck in behind the bearing and use it as a driving point. Works slick.

• Excellent 6

Sparky

Discovered this “weak spot” has let go on my 414-8 today. 
  One side is cracked and the other is busted with a chunk out. 

IMG_5247.jpeg

IMG_5245.jpeg

IMG_5249.jpeg

IMG_5250.jpeg

• Excellent 1
  • Sad 1

953 nut
17 minutes ago, Sparky said:

“weak spot” has let go on my 414-8 today. 

Had that problem on my 418-c, solved it by buying a fender support from a 520.

Wheel Horse 520-H Fender Bracket 113023 - Picture 1 of 1

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Handy Don
1 hour ago, Sparky said:

I might have one of those off a 500. I’ll look tomorrow.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Sparky said:

IMG_5247.jpeg

We helped that on the Workhorse by adding BIG fender washers. 

• Like 2

Pullstart

BBT :greetings-waveyellow:

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, Pullstart said:

BBT :greetings-waveyellow:

She says hi Pullstart 

Handy Don
15 hours ago, Handy Don said:

I might have one of those off a 500. I’ll look tomorrow.

@Sparky

Found this in my pile this morning. I could bring it to @JCM’s M&G?

image.png.7b083954aa98a6bdde7602321d44815c.png

JCM

@Handy Don   ,   @Sparky  Will be unable to attend the M & G This year.   :(   First one he's missed. We will miss our Trail Boss for the ride.

• Heart 1

Sparky
3 hours ago, Handy Don said:

@Sparky

Found this in my pile this morning. I could bring it to @JCM’s M&G?

image.png.7b083954aa98a6bdde7602321d44815c.png

Thanks Don, I have that part and it’s fine. It’s the two rails that it bolts to that have cracked/rusted and broken. 

IMG_5257.jpeg

IMG_5258.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

lynnmor
21 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Had that problem on my 418-c, solved it by buying a fender support from a 520.

Wheel Horse 520-H Fender Bracket 113023 - Picture 1 of 1

Note that the 520 part uses the two console cover screws in addition to the current ones.  The cover on console cover on the 520's have a jog in them to allow for the additional height, washers or spacers will be needed.  I had the same breakage on my 1991 520H because it was made before the update.  I think that the 520C models had the improvement and all 520's made from 1992 and up had the update.  For my 1991 I bought both the updated seat support and the console cover plus I added reinforcement under the break after it was welded.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Wheelhorse#1

Breaking down the new to me C-101 .Flushed the gear case with diesel twice .Removed break band ,needs to be replaced.

Tomorrow the rest comes apart.The fun has just begun  :handgestures-thumbupright:

IMG_8826.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1