Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

8ntruck

Mowed the lawn with Morgan, the 14-8 this afternoon.  I think the last time I mowed was around the 4th of July.  Still dusty today, though.

• Like 3

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, Maz91 said:

Got my raider almost completely torn down today. Not likely to have it back together for the meet and greet in Maine but hopefully ready to go by the time snow falls. 

Got to thank @ebinmaine for a bunch of guidance along the way. I know you guys think he’s pretty lousy but he’s actually a great guy! :ychain: He and Trina are constantly driving by my house honking the horn. 

B6F54E5C-5DFD-421B-88F5-DBA1CA0089FC.jpeg

Great to see the progress on that tractor Mr "WAZOWSKI"!!

You keeping asking questions.  We'll keep tossing answers!

• Thanks 1

8ntruck
13 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

I added a front hitch to the 310-8.   I have one on the 312 that is centered on the mule drive, but it is not visible from the seat.  I wanted one that was visible from the drivers seat for exact positioning when hooking up.

This worked out really well and doesn't interfere with the deck, mule drive, steering, or hood opening.

100_0006.JPG.e66cd416ebca4243c88352e907f44375.JPG100_0007.JPG.11dbd1b3bc47f322d6590f8e872cea10.JPG

Dosen't interfere - except with shins when walking by the front of the tractor :teasing-poke:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

cleat
6 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

I added a front hitch to the 310-8.   I have one on the 312 that is centered on the mule drive, but it is not visible from the seat.  I wanted one that was visible from the drivers seat for exact positioning when hooking up.

This worked out really well and doesn't interfere with the deck, mule drive, steering, or hood opening.

100_0006.JPG.e66cd416ebca4243c88352e907f44375.JPG100_0007.JPG.11dbd1b3bc47f322d6590f8e872cea10.JPG

Can you give more details on this hitch please.

I may copy you.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
59 minutes ago, cleat said:

Can you give more details on this hitch please.

I used a short piece of 2X2 box beam as a spacer.     Drilled two holes to match the existing two holes in the frame, then welded it to the 2" receiver tube.

Bolted the assembly to the frame with the two grade 8 3/8" bolts. (90K psi . shear)   It was a challenge to install the bolts inside the frame.   A 3/8" rachet with a 9" extension, universal joint and 9/16" socket worked.      

1 hour ago, 8ntruck said:

Dosn't interfere - except with shins when walking by the front of the tractor

I kept the front end of the receiver tube flush with the front of the mule drive so it would not be a shin buster.     The ball and slug is only there when moving a trailer.

I really use the front hitch a lot to position the splitter when splitting firewood.    Makes it easy to position the splitter close to the large rounds that are difficult to move.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 7
  • Thanks 1

PWL216
2 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Hi @Ed Kennell I really like your thinking here about being able to see where the hitch is aligning. Question, could you have used a piece of flat stock and drilled a hole for the ball? Do you think that would work as well? Seems like it might be easier (no welding) and cheaper…just a thought…

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

This is another front hitch option.  I bought two of these a couple years ago but I believe the maker is still selling on eBay.

the beauty of this design is that you can place in your tractor in front by removing the top attach a matic bolt on the frame and installing a longer bolt to secure.  The hitch rides on tight but you can also place your front mile drive with the hitch - so you can mow and tow!

Towing from the front is like having power steering!

IMG_8795.jpeg

IMG_8796.jpeg

IMG_8794.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, PWL216 said:

, could you have used a piece of flat stock and drilled a hole for the ball? Do you think that would work as well? Seems like it might be easier (no welding) and cheaper…just a thought…

A piece of 2x2 angle stock could replace the 2x2 receiver and slug.   It would still need to be spaced out so the hood would open W/O hitting the ball.

It would also be a shin buster.     Cheaper....this was all from my junk pile so my only cost was about $0.50 worth of mig wire.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell
28 minutes ago, Lane Ranger said:

Towing from the front is like having power steering!

So much easier to push trailers around for us old guys with necks that don't turn.

I have a ball on a mule drive that works fine,  but I wanted one off to the side where I could see it from the seat.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
18 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

wanted one off to the side where I could see it from the seat.

Excellent idea there....

pfrederi
15 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

So much easier to push trailers around for us old guys with necks that don't turn.

I have a ball on a mule drive that works fine,  but I wanted one off to the side where I could see it from the seat.

I need help to see the rear hitch can't twist enough anymore and it falls between the close and distant bifocals..:(

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

sjoemie himself
2 hours ago, pfrederi said:

got  put in the oven to dry off. 

Sooo.. was it dry?

• Haha 9

mrc

hi sparky,

always makes me feel good to put fresh oil in an engine.   oil/grease is cheap and easy, so why not!:greetings-clappingyellow:      

regards

mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sparky
1 hour ago, mrc said:

hi sparky,

always makes me feel good to put fresh oil in an engine.   oil/grease is cheap and easy, so why not!:greetings-clappingyellow:      

regards

mike

I agree 💯
  After the whopping she got there was no doubt an oil change was earned. 

• Like 2

kpinnc
On 8/17/2024 at 4:20 PM, ebinmaine said:

I lose tools or whatever WHILE I'M HOLDING THEM!!!

Good to know.

...I thought it was just me that does that! :P

• Haha 3