Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

TJ5208

After some cruising we leveled out a spot in the woods20230729_155302.jpg

20230728_190947.jpg

Snapchat-1553577580.jpg

Edited by TJ5208
  • Excellent 7

Tractorhead

Doing a Oilchange yesterday, than a 4h Mowing task - while mowing the 2 Weldings rips on my Front mower.

I did the Welding not too stiff as a planed Weakpoint  in case of a Crash - just few Spots they be stiff enough for the Mowing Task

and they did rip after the Crash as it was Planned.

Reason was a huge hidden Rock under Grass Surface i forgot about was the Antichrist and i hit it with full speed of the Discmower.

The sound of the Crash was horrible  and i feared it has more defects than only the Flip of the Mower,

than i double checked the whole Horse - but all on my Horse is fine.

The Mower cracks at the tilt mounting point in Top of the Lift lever i built, where i thinkering here will be a good place for a planned Weakpoint. Once while mowing i was thinkering to reinforce it here more, but luckily i didn‘t it until

so the weakpoint can do for what it was planned for.

The Belt jumps right off and the blades stop as fast as needed just little scratches on the Rock but all blades keep in place.

The Gearboxes and the Discs be unharmed, just the whole Mowerdeck flips completely at 180 deg.

luckily i was able to break before i crashed into the running Deck.

ok, that Way can not be finished today, so driving back to the Shed, switch to the original Mowingdeck, sharpened the Blades and mow the rest of the Areal.

Allway’s good to have a spare mower...

• Like 6

Macwrench

Haven't been on here in a while.  Lots going on.  Here's some stuff I did this weekend to the tractor #2 that's been sitting in the garage for about 3 years.

IMG_9596.HEIC IMG_9597.HEIC IMG_9598.HEIC

• Like 1

Macwrench

It's ALIVE!!!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 5

ebinmaine
18 minutes ago, Macwrench said:

Haven't been on here in a while

:text-welcomewave: back! 

• Like 1

Handy Don
29 minutes ago, Macwrench said:

Haven't been on here in a while.  Lots going on.  Here's some stuff I did this weekend to the tractor #2 that's been sitting in the garage for about 3 years.

IMG_9596.HEIC 3.68 MB · 3 downloads IMG_9597.HEIC 3.04 MB · 3 downloads IMG_9598.HEIC 2.71 MB · 1 download

The forum cannot display images in HEIC format.

Take a look at this post.

• Like 1

squonk
On 7/28/2023 at 11:15 AM, davem1111 said:

Pete,  I wasn't the one who mentioned the Sciatica but I too am having issues. Could barely walk earlier this week due to pain in right hip, went to clinic and got a Toradol injection and a Prednisone prescription. Got better at first, now the pain is more to the right of my tailbone.  Doctor friend says it sounds like sacroiliitis - joint or seam in back of pelvis is inflamed. Producing nerve pain and a burning sensation all the way to my foot. Sheesh. Can't lay down, or sit, or stand very long at a stretch. But like you said, movement is important even if it's uncomfortable. I'm stretching and taking walks when I can. 

Dave, had the same symptoms. I had back surgery in 19. Spinal Stenosis . https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/laminectomy/about/pac-20394533

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

Macwrench
2 hours ago, Handy Don said:

The forum cannot display images in HEIC format.

Take a look at this post.

:blink:  What have I done!

• Haha 2

Macwrench
Just now, Macwrench said:

Had to email them to myself to shrink them.  So much for airdrop.  Had to show my sophisticated hillbilly cylinder head milling machine. :D

IMG_9596.jpg

IMG_9597.jpg

IMG_9598.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don
59 minutes ago, Macwrench said:

If you Airdrop, then open the picture in Preview. There you can “select all” (or drag/select a part of the image) then copy/paste into the forum post which converts to JPEG.

While you are in Preview, you can be kind to the server and “shrink” the image. Choose Tools/Adjust Size. Make the long dimension 8 inches, check the two checkboxes, and click OK. Typically reduces images by 85%. 

This is the dialog from the picture. I’m putting in the next post:

image.png.b0bb156f37318e75c1c7a69d63576b4e.png

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 2

Handy Don

Took advantage of a cooler day to haul two trailer loads of branches blown down in the last windstorm, trim dead boxwood branches and forsythia and uproot invasive grapevines, honeysuckle.

And yeah, I know I shoulda done for the forsythia right after it bloomed in spring! :P

Tomorrow it all goes through the chipper/shredder.

image.png.000f6518ceedee738ea2f7fce11854c3.png

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

OoPEZoO

Did this yesterday technically, but happy with the results so far.  I had bought a Mighty Mac chipper at the big show that was mounted on a full size plow frame.  I liked the idea, but it was HUGE as it went all the way to the rear axle.  So I spent time the past few weeks cutting it down, bracing it, and modifying it to mount to the center and front hitch points.  I finally got everything lined up last night, so I installed the belt and guard.  I went to fire it up for a trial run and of course......the battery is dead.  There can be no other way, LOL.  And I can't lift the hood because of the belt guard.  I did squeeze some leads in there for a battery charger, so hopefully I can fire it up tonight.  Fingers crossed nothing flies apart.  This thing is a beast

IMG_2679.jpeg.badf7557dc3d0828c6a6b199986bc7f8.jpeg

• Excellent 8

SylvanLakeWH
37 minutes ago, OoPEZoO said:

Did this yesterday technically, but happy with the results so far.  I had bought a Mighty Mac chipper at the big show that was mounted on a full size plow frame.  I liked the idea, but it was HUGE as it went all the way to the rear axle.  So I spent time the past few weeks cutting it down, bracing it, and modifying it to mount to the center and front hitch points.  I finally got everything lined up last night, so I installed the belt and guard.  I went to fire it up for a trial run and of course......the battery is dead.  There can be no other way, LOL.  And I can't lift the hood because of the belt guard.  I did squeeze some leads in there for a battery charger, so hopefully I can fire it up tonight.  Fingers crossed nothing flies apart.  This thing is a beast

IMG_2679.jpeg.badf7557dc3d0828c6a6b199986bc7f8.jpeg

Looks great. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Curious if original design on the plow frame allowed up / down movement like a front blade? That might have allowed hood to tip open by lowering the chipper? 

• Like 1

Sparky

Stripping down a junk deck before it goes to the scrapyard. Outer spindles are good, center is real bad. One deck wheel is new, other is newer but the wrong type. Rollers all seem decent, but blades are junk. All the good parts will end up in a plastic tote with 42SD written on it for future repairs. 

IMG_9272.jpeg

IMG_9264.jpeg

IMG_9265.jpeg

IMG_9266.jpeg

IMG_9267.jpeg

IMG_9268.jpeg

IMG_9269.jpeg

IMG_9270.jpeg

IMG_9271.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don
9 minutes ago, Sparky said:

All the good parts

The anti-scalp rollers even look pretty good. There’s been some maintenance on that thing since new, I’d say.

• Excellent 1

OoPEZoO
1 hour ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Looks great. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Curious if original design on the plow frame allowed up / down movement like a front blade? That might have allowed hood to tip open by lowering the chipper? 

It did not.  The original plow frame went from the standard rear axle bracket to the mid mount bracket, but the raise/lower lever was not attached.  If I had a hydro deck lift, I most certainly would have looked into a way to incorporating it to help lift it into place.  The gentleman I bought it from said he designed it for his ease of attachment and moving it around......if you notice the wheels on the front of the chipper.  He would flip those down, insert the pin that holds them, and then walk the whole assembly around like a wheel barrow.  It worked very well as is, but took up too much room in my garage for my liking.  I'm also a pretty big dude and "young" enough to not mind muscling things around a little.  Attaching to the mid mount is pretty easy by myself, but I still put a floor jack under the front of the chipper to lift it into the front hitch point.  When its off the tractor, I can also flip those wheels down and easily wheel it around.

• Like 5

Sparky
9 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

The anti-scalp rollers even look pretty good. There’s been some maintenance on that thing since new, I’d say.

Agreed, pretty much just the shell and inner spindle will end up in the metal dumpster 

squonk

Been wanting to monitor the temps of my C-160 hydro. Last week it was super hot out and the lift valve gets pretty hot after an hour of mowing. Started brain storming. There are 2 threaded holes on the valve. Used one to clamp a bead type thermocouple and went to the Big Blue Box and got 2 4" square electrical boxes and tacked them together. Mounted it on rubber and put my digital thermometer inside. Started out on a 73° day and it topped out at 112° . I know it's not 100% accurate but it gets me in the zip code. 2 bolts hold it on in the original holes so it comes off in a minute.

IMG_20230731_163152392.jpg.eaea82e12dcd641f05e37f07b565c57d.jpg

IMG_20230731_163157100.jpg.c1aa51b8795c5d7e40377e53a3ea19db.jpg

Edited by squonk
  • Like 4

Handy Don
7 minutes ago, squonk said:

Started out on a 73° day and it topped out at 112°

Nice idea to do the measurement.

You came up good, as the “normal” temp range for hydraulics is in the 110-130º range.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ineedanother
12 minutes ago, squonk said:

Been wanting to monitor the temps of my C-160 hydro. Last week it was super hot out and the lift valve gets pretty hot after an hour of mowing. Started brain storming. There are 2 threaded holes on the valve. Used one to clamp a bead type thermocouple and went to the Big Blue Box and got 2 4" square electrical boxes and tacked them together. Mounted it on rubber and put my digital thermometer inside. Started out on a 73 day and it topped out at 112 . I know it's not 100% accurate but it gets me in the zip code.

Curious @squonk, 112 doesn't strike me as being anywhere near what might concern me. What are your thoughts having a ballpark number now?

Edit: @Handy Don pretty much answered my question while I was busy typing :thumbs:

Edited by ineedanother
  • Like 1

squonk
14 minutes ago, ineedanother said:

Curious @squonk, 112 doesn't strike me as being anywhere near what might concern me. What are your thoughts having a ballpark number now?

Edit: @Handy Don pretty much answered my question while I was busy typing :thumbs:

When we get another hot day I will check it again. I want to compare the difference in the ambient temp increase with the increase in the final running temp. I also want to know on a hot day should I just do half the mowing and save the rest for another day. The hydro is a bit tired and trying to get it to last is my priority.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, Macwrench said:

Had to email them to myself to shrink them. 

I'm well known to have Trina take the pic with her phone and text it to mine. 

During that process the pics are shrunkified.  

Double benefit for all of you. 

1. She takes FAR better pics than I do. 

2. Saves Redsquare space. 

4 hours ago, Macwrench said:

Had to show my sophisticated hillbilly cylinder head milling machine. :D

That's similar to our methods. 

I have a particular piece of known flat steel. 

Tape the paper to it. 

Start heavy grit somewhere below 200. 

Work up to 400 grit in 2 or 3 increments.   

We only do dry sanding though.  

• Like 2

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, OoPEZoO said:

Did this yesterday technically, but happy with the results so far.  I had bought a Mighty Mac chipper

.  Fingers crossed nothing flies apart.  THIS THING IS A BEAST

Excellent purchase. I happened upon one a few years ago and it's absolutely one of my favorite tools/implements.  

One very serious word of caution. 

DO NOT WEAR GLOVES. 

The obvious warning is "No loose clothing" or dangling jewelry etc. 

Gloves are also very easily caught up on twigs or branches and pulled in.  

@Stepney has a Mackissic. 

The no gloves rule is his advice to me and I pass it along whenever I remember.  

• Excellent 2

ineedanother
17 minutes ago, squonk said:

When we get another hot day I will check it again. I want to compare the difference in the ambient temp increase with the increase in the final running temp. I also want to know on a hot day should I just do half the mowing and save the rest for another day. The hydro is a bit tired and trying to get it to last is my priority.

Interestingly enough without getting on too much of a tangent, I have a Yukon and pretty much change my oil when the computer says it's time. A couple months ago it was showing somewhere around 40% remaining when a heater hose broke and before I knew it, it was at 260*. I did a roadside repair and got it right without anything being damaged but the computer immediately signaled to change oil. I always thought that it monitored conditions to include time in tow mode but was a bit surprised that it recognized the potential loss of viscosity due to overheating. 

• Like 1

squonk
2 minutes ago, ineedanother said:

Interestingly enough without getting on too much of a tangent, I have a Yukon and pretty much change my oil when the computer says it's time. A couple months ago it was showing somewhere around 40% remaining when a heater hose broke and before I knew it, it was at 260*. I did a roadside repair and got it right without anything being damaged but the computer immediately signaled to change oil. I always thought that it monitored conditions to include time in tow mode but was a bit surprised that it recognized the potential loss of viscosity due to overheating. 

I'm sure the system that monitors the oil life takes into account the engine temps as oil will break down sooner if run hot. With the history of the GM fuel de-activation system issues I wouldn't wait until the system tells you to change the oil. I  change my 2013 Sierra every 4000 miles

• Like 1