Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Rob J.
1 hour ago, Wheelhorse#1 said:

Nice looking herd you have here.Is that original seat on the B80 fairly comfortable ?

It’s not “the” original seat no. It is the seat pan used for those and aftermarket cushions. It is the most comfortable tractor I have and all the tires are filled. 

9A6B3A78-9684-4973-933C-244B29B3AE6E.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Heatingman

Picked up that Original Cub. Welded one of the non-oem fender brackets back together.

Then began reasonably of the deck for my B80. Greasing every link and wear surface point as I go. 

Turns out they have the same motor, the fenders are not original, and neither are the lights. Put that one in storage till I get my B80 back together. The blades will be last so its less likely I get cut during the process. Sharpened them the same way I sharpen my wood planes, so …

Should be getting the rest of the deck assembled tomorrow, and get started on the plow reassembly. 

Oh and I ordered a poly wear bar for the plow.

F1DAC690-1E2A-40D4-A0E9-37CE0A0C5D63.jpeg

5C16CBC7-3398-4495-8ED1-C26DE9FB1857.jpeg

Edited by Heatingman
  • Like 3

Forrest Carver

Yesterday was eventful. Finished and installed the deck and seat lifter. Classic case of mission creep. I was going to mount kids' seats on the fenders, but felt they weren't quite stiff enough. I found a perfect piece of metal plate to make a deck, and added some 3/4 advantech to shore it up and allow for recessed nuts so it will sit flush. I had a nice old Kennedy toolbox sitting around that happened to be the perfect width, so I bolted that on to hold extra parts, attachment pieces, etc. It also helps with installation and removal of the deck. The middle deck support interfered with the seat, and being too lazy to trim it again I just decided to lift the seat up by a couple inches. I'd meant to do something like that anyway as my knee is in the way of the shifter and steering wheel. When I finally circled back to the kids' seats, I realized they are going to be tricky to mount and all the obvious mounting spots strike me as unsafe. So I need to do a little more thinking on that.

Next, I installed the rear wheel weights. Curiously, the supplied bolts (which look like OEM) were short by about an inch. The original owner described the job as difficult to do without dunnage, but after several attempts I determined it was impossible without longer bolts. I checked in my hardware and managed to find one bolt that was completely perfect for the job, took it to the hardware store and got 4 copies with nuts, bam, done.

I decided to see how it handled with the rear wheel weights. Mowed for a few minutes and then it started sounding kind of bad and died, wouldn't start. I removed the air filter and observed gas splashing out of the carb when trying to start. I shot some air in with a portable blower and it started right up and stayed running. Choke cable all looks in order. So that's another thing to think of, looks like it flooded on its own at some point.

A few minutes later, I heard some wicked bad noises and the front PTO started puking up loads of stinky white smoke, then it stopped working. After a thorough search I saw that the belt was deformed and burned in one spot. Realized the belt was stuck because part of the deck had caved in and was wedging the blade in place, not letting the belt spin. I pried it out with a crowbar and alleviated the issue. Unfortunately I'm beginning to think this deck doesn't play well with my (admittedly hazardous) lawn. Perhaps it's a good thing I haven't sold my walk-behind yet. Hopefully the snowblower and plow work well with my driveway, otherwise I may have accidentally just purchased another toy ;)

IMG_20220828_084659853.jpg.75095134ae5659d978e41a0d13ba126b.jpg

• Like 6

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, Forrest Carver said:

I'm beginning to think this deck doesn't play well with my (admittedly hazardous) lawn. Perhaps it's a good thing I haven't sold my walk-behind

Exactly why we mow with a walk behind.

Likely you'll find the plow and blower will be more usable considering a vehicle uses the same space and they're larger.  

I've tried several different sizes and methods of snow removal. 

The Wheelhorses with plows are the current favorite. Walk behind snowblower is just plain necessary sometimes. 

I now have a Wheelhorse snowblower to try out this coming season.  

• Like 3

lynnmor
48 minutes ago, Forrest Carver said:

Mowed for a few minutes and then it started sounding kind of bad and died, wouldn't start. I removed the air filter and observed gas splashing out of the carb when trying to start. I shot some air in with a portable blower and it started right up and stayed running. Choke cable all looks in order. So that's another thing to think of, looks like it flooded on its own at some point.

Realized the belt was stuck because part of the deck had caved in and was wedging the blade in place, not letting the belt spin. I pried it out with a crowbar and alleviated the issue. Unfortunately I'm beginning to think this deck doesn't play well with my (admittedly hazardous) lawn.

Sounds like some debris passed thru the carburetor inlet valve.  You might want to flush the tank and replace the fuel lines and filter.  That debris would still be in the carburetor bowl, so that needs cleaned as well.

Is that roller on the front pushed back?  You can't bang into things with that.

Forrest Carver
1 hour ago, lynnmor said:

Sounds like some debris passed thru the carburetor inlet valve.  You might want to flush the tank and replace the fuel lines and filter.  That debris would still be in the carburetor bowl, so that needs cleaned as well.

Is that roller on the front pushed back?  You can't bang into things with that.

That makes sense. I had just filled up from can that had lots of crap floating in the bottom. "That's probably not going to be good for the engine" I thought right before emptying the can into the tank.

As for the roller, yes, that's what I had to straighten out. I can't go thirty seconds without banging into a root or rock or remnants of a stump, even at the highest setting. Never had too much problem with the 48" walk behind, though, after a little practice. Just don't like starting the thing

WHGuy413

Just got home from vacation and Alex was jonesing to work on something so we brought my Bronco14 into the garage. It had been running really bad and wouldn’t idle for me when I parked it. We dove into the carburetor and since it was in there he did a oil change on it also. We went for a cruise after that. Him on his 604, my older son Aiden on his 856 and me on the Bronco 14. It ran great for about 15 minutes then started back with its surging and not running great. Guess we dive into it again next time he’s home. 

B1217503-848C-43CB-8AB2-BE038D9167D4.jpeg

Edited by WHGuy413
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
17 minutes ago, WHGuy413 said:

It ran great for about 15 minutes then started back with its surging and not running great. Guess we dive into it again next time he’s home.

Fuel lines all new and fuel pump flushed out?

Tank all free of debris?

New screen at the tank outlet?

• Like 2

WHGuy413
30 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Fuel lines all new and fuel pump flushed out?

Tank all free of debris?

New screen at the tank outlet?

Not at all 😂. Tank is clean. Fuel filter that I have in the middle of the line is newer. Probably will do that stuff over soon. 

We were up in your neck of the woods for vacation!

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, WHGuy413 said:

Not at all 😂. Tank is clean. Fuel filter that I have in the middle of the line is newer. Probably will do that stuff over soon. 

We were up in your neck of the woods for vacation!

Where at?? 

WHGuy413
4 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Where at?? 

Naples. Enjoying some lake life. Alex was browsing Craigslist and market place while there and we were both shocked that there isn’t much wheel horse stuff for sale up there. 

lynnmor
35 minutes ago, WHGuy413 said:

Naples. Enjoying some lake life. Alex was browsing Craigslist and market place while there and we were both shocked that there isn’t much wheel horse stuff for sale up there. 

They have four seasons up there, snow, Fourth of July, black fly and falling leaves.  

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
14 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

They have four seasons up there, snow, Fourth of July, black fly and falling leaves.  

You're correct but black flies comes before July 4th.  The flying scourge is in late April/early May and lasts about 2 to 3 weeks.  

By then most folks have gone completely bat crazy so the flies just leave out of pity.  

:ychain:

• Haha 3

sjoemie himself
54 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

bat crazy

Huh go figure.. here I was thinking my whole life that bats are a solution to flies since they eat the darn things :dunno::ychain::D

• Like 1

ineedanother
On 8/27/2022 at 8:52 AM, ebinmaine said:

If the parts in the pallet are what was disassembled that's a B100 or C100 from '74 to '77. 

Yep. Almost certainly a B100. I was tired and as much as I hate to admit it, I think my drinking hobby has a tractor problem. :eusa-shifty:

• Haha 3

Andy N.

I bought these 2 attachments at the Will County Threshermen's show last month. Today I turned them into a potato digger/hiller. I will be using this very soon. May need some tweeking after it gets in the dirt, but I think it's a good start.

IMG_1599.JPG

IMG_1600.JPG

IMG_1827.JPG

IMG_1828.JPG

IMG_1829.JPG

Edited by Andy N.
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 6
  • Heart 2

Bill Winn
1 hour ago, Andy N. said:

I bought these 2 attachments at the Will County Threshermen's show last month. Today I turned them into a potato digger/hiller. I will be using this very soon. May need some tweeking after it gets in the dirt, but I think it's a good start.

IMG_1829.JPG

I have almost everything for my garden except a disc hiller. I plan on fabbing one up this winter. Thanks for posting pictures of yours. It’ll help with the design 

• Like 3

8ntruck

I got tried of dealing with the ozone checked, leaky front tires on Clyde, the C-195 last week, so I ordered up a pair of V61's from Miller tire.  They ought to get here Monday or Tuesday.  

Still can't bring myself to mount them on the crusty rims.  I'll have to refinish them before mounting the new tires.  What do y'all think - antique white or Navajo white?

• Like 4

8ntruck

@Heatingman - that stand is a nifty idea.  Might have to try one myself.

• Like 2

Heatingman

@Andy N. Did that e tank remove paint too? Or just rust?

And what fluid? Just food preservation grade vinegar?

• Like 2