Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

peter lena

@Bill Winn  liked your red grease swipe !   that related linkage is often neglected , and flaky with rust , not even an issue with me , very easy to vastly improve function, lighter aerosol lube makes the rust run out , then red grease tube nozzle right into the  neglected area , done ! that can also get addictive , with experimental make it better  thoughts , can definitely relate  to greasy  improvements , pete 

• Like 1

Heatingman

I made a deal on a distant cousin twice removed. Be picking it up tomorrow morning.

1961 International Cub Cadet - I know its not a WH - but I always wanted one, and its worth more as is then Im paying for it. Has a mowing deck. It dont run, but I’ll fix that one way or another once Im done with my B80 resto.

bonus garden trailer included.

D45171A8-54DF-4DF5-8232-7205A3059BD0.png

5DC13379-E7B9-4AD0-9C2B-64C0B25B2D57.png

• Like 5

Pullstart

Mounted up the other Hoosier today…

It’s easy to see it was on the left side of a race car with all the pink paint on it!

39D4D87E-9A49-461A-ABE5-0437D05D4ACD.jpeg

47EA5AA0-5FF5-43A8-946C-840271B5F6FF.jpeg

31A1DA0D-6E9C-425B-8962-F8786738CCA2.jpeg

• Like 7

peter lena

@Heatingman  when I  typically go after any problem , I  break it down  for ENTIRE INTENDED FUNCTION , that view , makes me  VERIFY EVERY PART of iTS  SET UP DESIGN . just start tweaking on sloppy / rusty areas , how about a washer or 2 with some lubricant to enhance its function ? how about a light spring pull on throttle / choke cable  to  lever connection ? that entire mower deck drive set up , needed help , once I  found the common culprit , wrong / minimal lubrication , leverage design / set up , cables that need pull assist / mounting areas.  was actually not that difficult to make a sled drag , turn  into a  smooth easy working  starting point of use , what a concept ! realise this is totally off the chart for many ,  you can't do that , also regularly use my  40 + year  c85  as a test bed for ideas . work out the bugs , and install it on the other 2  horses . why not ?  stayin crazy , pete 

• Like 2

Heatingman
5 hours ago, Pullstart said:

Mounted up the other Hoosier today…

It’s easy to see it was on the left side of a race car with all the pink paint on it!

39D4D87E-9A49-461A-ABE5-0437D05D4ACD.jpeg

47EA5AA0-5FF5-43A8-946C-840271B5F6FF.jpeg

31A1DA0D-6E9C-425B-8962-F8786738CCA2.jpeg

Makin a street rod?

• Like 1

Pullstart
2 minutes ago, Heatingman said:

Makin a street rod?

There’s a pile of those old tires outside, so why not :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ineedanother

Pulled the frame out from under what I believe is a 310-8 to hopefully re-purpose in a c-160 with a broken one. Not sure if it will work, definitely have to engineer a couple things...

IMG_0273.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

953 nut
9 hours ago, ineedanother said:

I believe is a 310-8 to hopefully re-purpose in a c-160 with a broken one.

Front axle/mule drive mount probably will need to remain 310 to save a lot of needless work, otherwise probably a direct bolt up.

ebinmaine
10 hours ago, ineedanother said:

Pulled the frame out from under what I believe is a 310-8 to hopefully re-purpose in a c-160 with a broken one. Not sure if it will work, definitely have to engineer a couple things...

IMG_0273.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

24 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Front axle/mule drive mount probably will need to remain 310 to save a lot of needless work, otherwise probably a direct bolt up.

If the parts pile pictured above is the supposed 310-8 I'd say that's... Not a 310. 

Looks like a mid 70s B or C.  

The ID tag is circled in blue. 

Screenshot_20220827-083401-184.png.128cf9182af7d76d946837bb9ea13322.png

Unless maybe that's the parts of the C160 setting on that pallet.  ...? 

• Like 3

rjg854

The engine does have a 10hp label on it.

• Like 1

peter lena

@ineedanother noting that original frame set up , have a few pieces of that angle steel  in 3/8x 3  and 3/8  x 4 , from my working days ,  if I  were building up an  experiment  , think I  would go for a similar yet much stronger  frame base start , duplicate original mounting holes , set up . really add terrific foundation  strength in your build , just a brain fart , pete  

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

The engine does have a 10hp label on it.

Yepp.  

If the parts in the pallet are what was disassembled that's a B100 or C100 from '74 to '77. 

Lee1977
11 hours ago, ineedanother said:

IMG_0273.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

That's a 1977 or older frame for a B or C series tractor  It's the right frame for a C-160.  All C series 1978 and later, also the 300 400 and 500 have a senos set of 3/4" bars right in front of the rear wheels.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ineedanother
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Looks like a mid 70s B or C.  

I think you're correct @ebinmaine. Likely a b-100. :teasing-dunce: I'll look at the tag when I get back over there but was really just glad to get my hands on it since the frame I have is in pretty bad shape. From what I can tell the major difference is that this one lacks the main lift bar and a small bracket for the right foot rest. Other than that I think things will swap over without any issues.

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, ineedanother said:

one lacks the main lift bar and a small bracket for the right foot rest

Those should be bolt on parts and switch over fine.  

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Lawn day.

Decided to remount the E141 mower deck and try it out. Wow! I like…! Quiet, quick, nice cut… 

1/2 hour run time with deck and no issues with batteries… (3 - 12 volt batteries). I’m thinking another 15-30 minutes easy…

I had deck listed for sale but nope. Gonna keep it.

Although I must say, I like side discharge better… :confusion-shrug: cleaner machine, better clipping dispersal… :twocents-twocents:

E25A221B-2D95-4E9B-8951-4F75D50A1D41.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

Handy Don
1 hour ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Although I must say, I like side discharge better… :confusion-shrug: cleaner machine, better clipping dispersal… :twocents-twocents:

I really like the 42" RDs for their cut and maneuverability for medium-sized lawns. Several of us have hung a 3-4" flap on the rear edge of the 42 RD, trimmed to miss the rear wheels, of course. I used cove base from the HD. It really settles the discharge down nicely and keeps the rear of the machine a lot tidier.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Handy Don

Yesterday I finished assembling a mower deck for the 854. It's an amalgam of parts mostly from an RM-367 but with some from a couple of RM-366's in there, as well. (Next week I'll be going through the leftover parts to see if I just stock the good ones or if I have enough to consider building a backup deck.)

This morning I got it mounted and took it for a test spin on the dried grassy plain that used to be the front lawn. No loud noises, no parts thrown, no vibrations, belts are tracking smoothly and not getting thrown when engaging/disengaging the PTO, and, it cuts. I'm very pleased!

I do have one question for those of you using one of these decks. I don't have any belt retainers anywhere. Should I, and where? The OM/IPL describes one on the engine (I suspect it uses the same bolt that holds the front of the drive belt guard. In pictures here on the forum, I've seen another that seems to be attached to the idler pulley, but I don't see a way to do that without messing with its alignment. I know its a detail and it seems to be working well now, but I'd like it to stay that way! 

And, to you sharp-eyed folks: yes, there is a six-speed LSD in this tractor, and yes, the hood is bare metal right now about to be painted!

image.png.a1932a2b2e38b00247f6606b3b8576a7.png

image.png.7b3189b9a852582bc13ba6d122f380a0.png

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart

Watching some art happen…

185D9AC7-29DB-49DF-8BFE-620B1D4DE741.jpeg

A8C988B2-A65D-45E7-986B-75E0617906D3.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 3

The Freightliner Guy

You have a hot rod to what else do you have in there :laughing-rofl:

• Haha 1

rick

Not today, but yesterday I sharpened all six sets of blades for the 48" deck. Before I retired I used to buy a new set of blades instead of sharpening them, my skills sharpening with a grinder and a piece of round stock in a vise to balance the blades was not to my liking.  MagnaMatic for the win...

• Like 2

Pullstart
2 hours ago, The Freightliner Guy said:

You have a hot rod to what else do you have in there :laughing-rofl:

not my place :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1

Wheelhorse#1
2 hours ago, Rob J. said:

I bathed the 1045 with the big can of WD-40 and wiped it down today. Looks pretty good but might give it another can. Located a proper seat. Starting to feel like an orphanage or something. I go pick up a 753 pretty soon. Another Michigan tractor staying in Michigan. Pure Michigan baby!

Nice looking herd you have here.Is that original seat on the B80 fairly comfortable ?

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Pulled a fair sized tree stump outta the way.  .....

• Like 2
  • Excellent 6
  • Heart 1