Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, CRAZYFROG said:

Cleaned up a couple today. Also working on the rj58 crazy horse project that is now fully stripped down for sanding and paint.

Got any pics of that project?

• Like 1

andyk

Replaced belt on my side discharge deck and reinstalled.

While I was at it I cleaned the wheels up a little bit and put the hub caps back on.

My rear discharge deck really puts some grass on the leaft rear tire..

This winter I think i'm going freshen both my decks up by welding some baffles back on the RD deck and patch the holes on SD deck.

IMG_20220825_171608162_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220825_171627265_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220825_171732377_HDR.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

Bill Winn

Everything is back in working order on the C-175 Auto. Thank you John (Johnnymag3) for the PTO Bell. Thanks Dan (dkg520) for the tiller. I tilled up my compost pile this evening after supper. (got into some acrobat ants though YUCK!)

Thanks again for all the help RSC!

Bill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

johnnymag3
11 minutes ago, Bill Winn said:

Everything is back in working order on the C-175 Auto. Thank you John (Johnnymag3) for the PTO Bell. Thanks Dan (dkg520) for the tiller. I tilled up my compost pile this evening after supper. (got into some acrobat ants though YUCK!)

Thanks again for all the help RSC!

Bill

I hope the RED tape and the instructions werent over the top......Gotta love a box in the mail with a WHEEL HORSE LOGO on it !!!!!!!:)   keep the C-175 in good shape and It will last you your lifetime !!!!!!!:thumbs: Seems like you are doing a much better job than its previous owner !!!!

• Like 2

DeepH2O
On 8/24/2022 at 7:03 AM, peter lena said:

@Bill Winn, noting that lift linkage set up , did you aerosol lubricant the rust run out ? make sure every movement point is lubricated , then what I do is , use aerosol  RED SPRAY GREASE , that linkage will work with total ease, also noting your pto brake  pad save , since going over to the lucas grease upgrade in the pto , needle bearing , I  have removed my break pads , on my 3 horses . the effortless / smooth spin on that cone , makes the pad a  non issue . no noise or functional interference , just my own experience. glad you are gaining on your set up . don,t forget to spray into your lift lever push pin down into the tube , watch the rust run out , stay greasy , pete

Can you elaborate on the Lucas grease upgrade on the needle bearings? I have mine off right now changing seals and bearings. Thanks for your time!

• Like 1

Bill Winn
Just now, johnnymag3 said:

I hope the RED tape and the instructions weren't over the top......Gotta love a box in the mail with a WHEEL HORSE LOGO on it !!!!!!!:)   keep the C-175 in good shape and It will last you your lifetime !!!!!!!:thumbs: Seems like you are doing a much better job than its previous owner !!!!

No Sir, the red tape was a perfect solution to mitigate the possibility of surface rust or other damage in shipping. I like this little WH so yes, I will try to make it last forever.

Bill

johnnymag3
16 minutes ago, DeepH2O said:

Can you elaborate on the Lucas grease upgrade on the needle bearings? I have mine off right now changing seals and bearings. Thanks for your time!

So here is the deal with the Lucas Red Grease... When you are changing the seal or the needle bearing on the PTO bell....be sure to use Lucas on the bearing after it is installed, or if not replacing it.....clean it out completely with carb cleaner, or brake cleaner. Be sure to clean it thouroughly...then use just enough Lucas to lubricate it , press it in with your fingers...and work it in slowly and do not over lube that bearing as the grease can sling / seep out...then trash the clutch disc. That bearing sees alot of heat and use, the Lucas Red extreme pressure / heat grease is the perfect application. Use it on Mule drive bearings ,,, It is a must for mower deck spindle bearings. The motto is.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Oil it...Dont spoil it..                     Pete likes to say keep it greasy

JOHN

• Like 5

Bill Winn

Pardon me if this is the wrong spot to ask this...

Can anyone point me to the Red Square member who has a c series that they have painted red and antique white instead of red and black. I am gathering materials to strip my WH and paint it over the winter and I remember really liking that off-white color.

Bill

ineedanother
13 minutes ago, Bill Winn said:

Can anyone point me to the Red Square member who has a c series that they have painted red and antique white instead of red and black. I am gathering materials to strip my WH and paint it over the winter and I remember really liking that off-white color.

Bill

Nearly 25,000 members here and quite possibly more opinions than that depending on the topic :laughing-rofl:

You might want to look in the restorations forum for paint recommendations. There's a whole thread on paint colors pinned on top. I'm using Navajo White on my c-160 but lots of folks prefer Antique White and there are several others that look good also. Personal choice and availability in your locale might play into it as much as anything. @dmoore is restoring an older machine now in the restorations area with off-white wheels that look really nice IMO. 

• Like 2

Bill Winn
2 minutes ago, ineedanother said:

Nearly 25,000 members here and quite possibly more opinions than that depending on the topic :laughing-rofl:

You might want to look in the restorations forum for paint recommendations. There's a whole thread on paint colors pinned on top. I'm using Navajo White on my c-160 but lots of folks prefer Antique White and there are several others that look good also. Personal choice and availability in your locale might play into it as much as anything. @dmoore is restoring an older machine now in the restorations area with off-white wheels that look really nice IMO. 

Awesome thank you. I didn't see that in my searching. I'll check it out.

Bill

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH
33 minutes ago, Bill Winn said:

Bill

@squonk?

This one?

image.jpeg.380efaf46bec1402168e381ba5011e9e.jpeg

• Like 1

Bill Winn
1 minute ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

@squonk?

This one?

Maybe I seem to recall white on the seat pan too though. I'm still hunting through the archives lol

Bill Winn
3 hours ago, andyk said:

image.png.1e5e2669bb39ae48d88356ff39930637.png

Totally dig your solution to those idiotic little pins on the rear tiller mount. Do your pins ever fail or bend? Does the hitch ever come open?

ineedanother
1 hour ago, Bill Winn said:

Sorry Bill, I think I misunderstood what you were asking...:doh:

Bill Winn
1 minute ago, ineedanother said:

Sorry Bill, I think I misunderstood what you were asking...:doh:

My rear tiller mount has little hitch pins that lock the rear mount closed. Those little hitch pins have little “hair pin” keepers that are impossible to manage. I’ll post a pic tomorrow.

Heatingman
23 minutes ago, TonyToro said:

@TonyToro Jr. and I worked on the B-80 for a few hours today. This pulling tractor is getting really close to completion. Tomorrow will be adding the aluminum rims with new tires, add a weight bar and get a final tune on it. 

C4FA3EB8-2435-4A9F-87AB-CD226491077D.jpeg

Whats that new pedal for?

• Like 1

ineedanother
1 minute ago, Heatingman said:

Looks like the heater :auto-dirtbike:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

CRAZYFROG

How about some NOS hubcaps on the Lawn Ranger

20220825_123440.jpg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

andyk
1 hour ago, Bill Winn said:

Totally dig your solution to those idiotic little pins on the rear tiller mount. Do your pins ever fail or bend? Does the hitch ever come open?

Havent lost any yet . used mainly with the front blade. rest of the year it keeps those hooks from catching on anything

• Like 2

oliver2-44
5 hours ago, DeepH2O said:

John covered the needle bearing   I’ll add you can remove the bearing on the end of the cone that is held in with snap ring.  And tap it out. (I don’t remember if you have to remove the center shaft to get the bearing shield off….I think you just remove the center shaft snap ring and shield will come off. Carefully remove the metal shield, throughly clean with solvent or brake clean, fill bearing half full of red grease and reinstall seal. 

• Like 1

lynnmor
5 hours ago, Bill Winn said:

My rear tiller mount has little hitch pins that lock the rear mount closed. Those little hitch pins have little “hair pin” keepers that are impossible to manage. I’ll post a pic tomorrow.

That is the correct way.  Using only hairpins doesn't fill the holes and make for a sloppy fit and they would catch on things, especially when using a rototiller.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
46 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

That is the correct way.  Using only hairpins doesn't fill the holes and make for a sloppy fit and they would catch on things, especially when using a rototiller.

6 hours ago, Bill Winn said:

Up here we need to be ready for snow/ice from Dec 1st or even earlier. 

We leave the plows on for several months. 

We keep the levers tightened up with the bolt. I use a grade 8 bolt with a nyloc nut. 

Not the quick and easy method but the pins and levers sure don't move. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

TonyToro
8 hours ago, Heatingman said:

That’s a foot throttle

• Like 3

peter lena

@DeepH2O needle bearing in the pto drive cone , with brake pad mount removed ,  front swing link  out of the way the pto cone just easily pulls off . inside  edge , you will see the needle bearing right there , note the small amount of grease on it , just enough to  cover the needles , excess will sling onto clutch face . avoid that , https://www.autozone.com/greases-and-gear-oil/lubricant-  get it here or walmart , absolutely bombproof  , 560 temp rated , anti sling , polyurea rated , make that bearing silent  and  effortless in its function . have done the grease swap out in all my mule drive / deck bearings , with side seal removal , wipe out , carb cleaner flush , fresh  lucas refill. no whining bearing noise , effortless function . your pto cone will  spin quietly  without effort , pete   

• Like 1