Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Snoopy11
3 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

Husky engine being off of a chainsaw... right?

Don

the 390 engines I see have 88-90 cc... pretty close to what I have in the engine I currently have. Maybe... maybe not...?

Don

ebinmaine

I have no experience in the racing world whatsoever.

My biggest concern in a situation like this would be the RPM of the input pulley on the Wheel Horse transmission which was brought up by Scott @Greentored at one point.

• Like 2

Snoopy11
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

I have no experience in the racing world whatsoever.

My biggest concern in a situation like this would be the RPM of the input pulley on the Wheel Horse transmission which was brought up by Scott @Greentored at one point.

Could your elaborate? Is there an rpm limit... what exactly are you speaking of?

Don

pfrederi

Creating a separate topic for thinking out loud would be a good idea

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Snoopy11
1 minute ago, pfrederi said:

Creating a separate topic for thinking out loud would be a good idea

:handgestures-thumbupright: forgot what topic I was in...

• Like 1

ebinmaine
Just now, Snoopy11 said:

Could your elaborate? Is there an rpm limit... what exactly are you speaking of?

Don

I don't know if there's really a known or stated RPM limit.

These particular transmissions were designed 50 or 60 years ago and put together in a nearly bulletproof manner for the purposes which they were built to serve. They've done a great job doing so over the years.

If a  Wheel Horse is doing six or seven miles per hour and you double or even triple that speed you're putting massive amounts of wear and tear and HEAT at a high rate of speed into a piece of machinery that was designed for lower RPM work.  

Will it work? Probably... How long will it last? Well there I don't really know....

• Like 3

Snoopy11
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

I don't know if there's really a known or stated RPM limit.

These particular transmissions were designed 50 or 60 years ago and put together in a nearly bulletproof manner for the purposes which they were built to serve. They've done a great job doing so over the years.

If a  Wheel Horse is doing six or seven miles per hour and you double or even triple that speed you're putting massive amounts of wear and tear and HEAT at a high rate of speed into a piece of machinery that was designed for lower RPM work.  

Will it work? Probably... How long will it last? Well there I don't really know....

Negative comments on the placement of this discussion lead me to create the following:

I would appreciate any further thoughts you guys have!

Don

• Like 1

Snoopy11
14 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

Well I got up early today to tackle the seat and tires and wheels on the 1075. Got all 4 done, the tires can use a touch more detailing but I am happy for now. So happy that why should I cover up all that hard work with the chrome hub caps? More to come, stay tuned.

20210504_124535.jpg

Do I see tire paint...? I am laughing... as your tractor tires look REALLY GOOD!!!

Don

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

squonk
3 hours ago, D_Mac said:

Well I got up early today to tackle the seat and tires and wheels on the 1075. Got all 4 done, the tires can use a touch more detailing but I am happy for now. So happy that why should I cover up all that hard work with the chrome hub caps? More to come, stay tuned.

If you decide on the caps let that paint cure a few weeks and use door edge moulding on the cap edges. Metal clips will tear that new paint up

• Like 1

D_Mac

I am leaning towards no caps. When removing them I noticed the rears didnt exactly fit to good. They were very loose. Had rubber garden hose washers holding them in. Now I have to paint the wheels on the 857.

• Like 2

TJ5208

Gave rebel a clean look nice and ready and clean

20210504_152232.jpg

20210504_152235.jpg

• Like 4

ebinmaine
28 minutes ago, OldWorkHorse said:

SHE wanted

THAT'S the part that counts

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

johnnymag3
9 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

THAT'S the part that counts

DARN RIGHT !!!!  :happy-bouncyblue:

• Like 3

johnnymag3
40 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

I am leaning towards no caps. When removing them I noticed the rears didnt exactly fit to good. They were very loose. Had rubber garden hose washers holding them in. Now I have to paint the wheels on the 857.

Eric has a trick to install caps with no scratching........:confusion-confused:      I forgot what he called it....Chicago style???    Detroit method?????     He will chime in and correct me I hope....My brain isnt what it used to be....

• Like 1

squonk
42 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

If you decide to get rid of them, I can give you an extra discount on that engine.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Tuneup

So, the 48" deck will finally get the welding treatment but, wait! I have to figure out how to flexcore weld, or learn to weld period, since I last welded in school at 14 and that was gas and stick. Hmmmm, 1977... So, I'm a little rusty, or just plain suck. Practiced on the lower rim as I can grind it to my heart's content and it's hidden from view when mounted. Crappy. I know, I know. I'll get it right!

rim.jpg.b636d6b4b5217c3a6457cab17e4bc560.jpg

I've got the heat set properly for that rim (E) and the feed is good but I can't see what the heck I'm welding! The helmet's down almost to min. Cheap helmet... If I could see what I was doing, I'm sure I could pull a clean bead, really!!

This deck is full of hairline cracks.

slice.jpg.92e6ce6e2e2eb44493b372344fa0b22e.jpg

Anyway, burned through the deck (only A is not too hot for that thin metal) so have a little hole to fill. Getting there. Harbor Freight Titanium 125. I do like it...have always wanted to play.

try.jpg.443b09fa569eaf43eea75acbab8c2605.jpg

Not done with that bugger either. When I am, I guarantee y'all that it will be smooth as silk and I'll grind that whole surface clean for anti-rust treatment.

• Like 8

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, johnnymag3 said:

DARN RIGHT !!!!  :happy-bouncyblue:

Trina and I have met and hung out with @OldWorkHorse Steve and his Other Half, Ariel several times. 

Very good people. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gregor

I did a lot today, and got absolutely nothing done. Know what I mean? I did get my new saddle on the 876. Looks nice I think. I am still waiting on the generator to complete the tractor.

Still waiting on parts for the 656. Hopefully tomorrow.

I test painted a few small pieces for the C-125. I am switching to Rustoleum Regal Red for this tractor. It seems to spray easier, and cover better, than the red lacquer I have been using. Besides, I can get it any where. No more 40 mile trips to pick up 4 cans of paint. I also got my new (used) metal fender pan from Lincoln. YAAAAH ! :banana-dance: I will be taking parts to the media blaster tomorrow.

I also performed a cylinder leak down test on the K-321. Check the engine forum for that.

• Like 3

MikMacMike
10 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

'cause the thing is... nobody is going to beat the rpms of a 2 stroke. --just not going to happen with a 4 stroke... too many moving parts and friction. By the time a 4 stroke has moved 1 revolution, a 2 stoke has doubled....

Don

But Snoopy heres the thing. hp is really just a timed mathimatical equaion of tork. Dont get me wrong when we run 600+ hp down the quarter or even better a big 455 on alky it can shave the nuts of an owel. But if there is no tork youll be playing footsy with the clutch??? And if the ratio between the engine and tranny are changed you are basically under driving it so down goes your speed also. But listen to each there own and building anything different then most can be so much fun too, well as long as it works and doesnt cost a bundle. Personally Id like to try a diesel. HP might be low but the tork is almost always tremendousely back breaking.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

MikMacMike
3 hours ago, TonyToro said:

We had a successful test run with the tiller on the C-145. My son is super happy!!

AA8B1617-B0F9-4491-BA42-5620233CB413.jpeg

Hahahahah oh ya start em young, wait till he meets a green deer, he'll be saying, on this post, guess what I did, I shred a deer heheheheh. Deers always run when the horses show up!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

MikMacMike
5 hours ago, Tuneup said:

So, the 48" deck will finally get the welding treatment but, wait! I have to figure out how to flexcore weld, or learn to weld period, since I last welded in school at 14 and that was gas and stick. Hmmmm, 1977... So, I'm a little rusty, or just plain suck. Practiced on the lower rim as I can grind it to my heart's content and it's hidden from view when mounted. Crappy. I know, I know. I'll get it right!

rim.jpg.b636d6b4b5217c3a6457cab17e4bc560.jpg

I've got the heat set properly for that rim (E) and the feed is good but I can't see what the heck I'm welding! The helmet's down almost to min. Cheap helmet... If I could see what I was doing, I'm sure I could pull a clean bead, really!!

This deck is full of hairline cracks.

slice.jpg.92e6ce6e2e2eb44493b372344fa0b22e.jpg

Anyway, burned through the deck (only A is not too hot for that thin metal) so have a little hole to fill. Getting there. Harbor Freight Titanium 125. I do like it...have always wanted to play.

try.jpg.443b09fa569eaf43eea75acbab8c2605.jpg

Not done with that bugger either. When I am, I guarantee y'all that it will be smooth as silk and I'll grind that whole surface clean for anti-rust treatment.

A wee trick on the lighter metal, stitch it instead of tryinhg to run a bead, takes longer but youll have far more heat control. In fact I turn it a bit hotter when I stitch, far less spatter and and I can be in and out alot faster. As for seeing the dag nabber weld I have to use cheaters hahahah, Im a blind old fart. In fact I was looking to see if fleebay sold microscope welding helits ......just kidding. Afew years back though I did get an automatic darkening sheild, it was the cats ass all the way. plus now a days there so cheap compared to then too.

• Like 2

MikMacMike
10 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

'cause the thing is... nobody is going to beat the rpms of a 2 stroke. --just not going to happen with a 4 stroke... too many moving parts and friction. By the time a 4 stroke has moved 1 revolution, a 2 stoke has doubled....

Don

Well there are 4 strokes that have reved over 16000 rpm, in fact I wouldnt be surprised if they have topped 20,000 rpm now. If im not mistaken the F1 or indy motors I think rev right up there. You did get me thinking though....oh oh here comes trouble??? Does anyone remember what was refered to amungst other bikes a widow maker? Kawasaki triple threat? Dag nabber when it hit its power band they would just snap faster then one could correct. Now one of those in your wheel horse Id be uping my life insurance heheheheh.

• Haha 2