Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Gregor
15 hours ago, D_Mac said:

Well I took my maiden voyage on the 1075 today

You need  a seat spring on there. It would help a lot. 234803352_20201120_170422(3).jpg.f351650781a55559b9a490e9c35ede45.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Gregor
18 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

. So... if I were you, I would buy... this from Amazon

I typically use 6 - 8 cans of clear. That would get kind-a spendy.

• Like 1

D_Mac
3 hours ago, Gregor said:

You need  a seat spring on there. It would help a lot. 

I'm not on them that long. Most of my driving is on the road. I put a padded seat on it and did not like how it looked. I repainted the seat that was on it. Going to jack it up today and pull the front wheels off. If it stops raining I will try and get some paint on them.

• Like 1

MikMacMike
On 5/1/2021 at 8:13 PM, pullstart said:

I’ve never seen one break personally.  I believe they are cast steel, stronger and less brittle than cast iron.  I could absolutely be wrong though.  As Maxwell pointed out, the lift cable is usually the weakest link in an old machine.  

Thanks brother, good to know

• Like 2

Snoopy11
16 hours ago, D_Mac said:

I know what you are saying. I have done several tractors in the past and always cleaned the tires. When I paint rims I take the extra time to NOT get any paint on the tires. That being said who ever painted these rims got paint all over the tires. I already tried gas and carb cleaner. The paint is on thick. Plus the tires being almost 60 years old now are cracked and paint is in the cracks. They are a mess. I will clean as much as I can. Trust me when I refresh a tractor I spend hours with a tooth brush getting every little nook in cranny. Check out some of my other tractors. This one my plans are to leave it gritty and sweaty looking. The only things I am going to paint are the rims and seat... and possibly the tires ! I already left a message to @Vinylguy about some custom decals. I need to find a cooling fan for the tranny, with the guard. I also want to replace the choke and throttle cables. 

What the heck. Since the tires have white paint on them... and you are thinking about painting them anyway... why not go white-wall? This is rubberized paint for them!!!

I have never used this, cannot recommend, but it might look really good!

OR what about something like this? Just some thoughts!

Don

Snoopy11
7 hours ago, Gregor said:

Ouch... yeah... maybe just... use the Spraymax where you think fluids such as gasoline MIGHT get?

My tractor is small, (L-157), but I could use 1 can to cover the majority of my tractor... with several coats.... LOL

Don

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Started cutting grass with 312-8 . Suddenly stopped , check fuses , all grounds . Cussed the switches . Will not start by key switch , Can jump it at solenoid , it will crank but not run. Got the c-120 out, fueled up , check oil .Off I go . Have to transfer 42 inch deck to c-120 because the two 36 " decks are down for repairs(parts) . Get it all switched over , then remember c-120 has 6 inch rims and 8 inch spindles . Leveled deck as far as I could . Cussed  some more. Knob on mule drive broke. Back to shed for vise grips. Finally got grass cut . Pushed  312-8 back to back yard. Found a tarp , has a big hole in it, cussed some more,. Covered 312-8 with holey tarp. Now I am drinking a cup of coffee so I can start my search for the wiring  diagram .How Is you alls day day going ?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

Snoopy11
7 hours ago, Gregor said:

Maybe I missed something somewhere... what tractor are you working on, Gregor? Looks pretty similar to the L-157...

Don

• Like 1

Snoopy11
1 minute ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Started cutting grass with 312-8 . Suddenly stopped , check fuses , all grounds . Cussed the switches . Will not start by key switch , Can jump it at solenoid , it will crank but not run. Got the c-120 out, fueled up , check oil .Off I go . Have to transfer 42 inch deck to c-120 because the two 36 " decks are down for repairs(parts) . Get it all switched over , then remember c-120 has 6 inch rims and 8 inch spindles . Leveled deck as far as I could . Cussed  some more. Knob on mule drive broke. Back to shed for vise grips. Finally got grass cut . Pushed  312-8 back to back yard. Found a tarp , has a big hole in it, cussed some more,. Covered 312-8 with holey tarp. Now I am drinking a cup of coffee so I can start my search for the wiring  diagram .How Is you alls day day going ?

Sounds like...:angry-banghead:

Don

• Like 1

Snoopy11

Question for everyone here. Some people are going to laugh... but who here thinks that a 3 horsepower 2 stroke engine can power a 1967 wheel horse L-157?

I have an engine and a theory. Now, what do you guys think?

If you guys have anyone that you think might be able to answer this, please include them in!

Thanks

Don

pfrederi
3 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

Question for everyone here. Some people are going to laugh... but who here thinks that a 3 horsepower 2 stroke engine can power a 1967 wheel horse L-157?

If you guys have anyone that you think might be able to answer this, please include them in!

Thanks

Don

Why???  What RPM is the 3hp rated at???

• Like 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

Thanks

Don

Really just depends what you want from it. 

Will it MOVE it?

Sure. 

Will it operate anything or pull loads?

Eehhh.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Snoopy11
2 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Why???  What RPM is the 3hp rated at???

7 grand. Maybe more with my skills...

running 25:1 ratio.

Don

Gregor
17 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

Maybe I missed something somewhere... what tractor are you working on, Gregor? Looks pretty similar to the L-157...

Don

Right now I am working on a C-125A. In the past, I have done  656, C-141, and an 876. I can of clear would not get me past the wheels.

• Like 2

Gregor
5 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

7 grand.

7K  :scared-shocked:WOW     Lawn Boy mowers, 2.5HP to 5 HP, usually run at 2800 ~ 3200 RPM. One of those running at 7K, would disintegrate. Not too mention, a small 2 cycle, is really not know for it's torque value.

Edited by Gregor
  • Like 2

Snoopy11
7 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Really just depends what you want from it. 

Will it MOVE it?

Sure. 

Will it operate anything or pull loads?

Eehhh.....

Dat's what I thought...

Let me elaborate on why I ask this question. I have been talking to ARC racing about my engines. Obviously, the engines we are dealing with here are splash lubricated. Running high rpm creates issues which any gearhead understands. Secretly, ARC racing hopes I will run a motorcycle engine... but I don't have 4 grand to spend, so they also told me that there is a possibility to run a 2 stroke engine more reliably at these RPM specs.

Anybody agree so far?

AND being that I have a tractor competition here where I live, and being fast is considered a luxury... maybe this is a possibility since I have an extra 3 hp -2 stroke engine laying around... brand new...?

Just a thought.

Don

Edited by Snoopy11
error
  • Like 1

Maxwell-8
5 minutes ago, Gregor said:

7K  :scared-shocked:WOW     Lawn Boy mowers, 2.5HP to 5 HP, usually run at 2800 ~ 3200 RPM. One of those running at 7K, would disintegrate.

HAhahaha, install a husqvarna 390 engine in a WH , 6.4 hp at 13K! 

Or better, a Stihl TS 760 or something 111cc, already is belt driven.

Edited by Maxwell-8
  • Like 1

Snoopy11
3 minutes ago, Gregor said:

7K  :scared-shocked:WOW     Lawn Boy mowers, 2.5HP to 5 HP, usually run at 2800 ~ 3200 RPM. One of those running at 7K, would disintegrate. Not too mention, a small 2 cycle, is really not know for it's torque value.

:notworthy:

Any answers are welcome. If you think I am an idiot, feel free to tell me. Won't be the first time anyone has told me that... LOL

Don

• Haha 1

Snoopy11
1 minute ago, Maxwell-8 said:

Are... you speaking from experience... or are you being facetious?

Don

• Like 1

Gregor
1 minute ago, Snoopy11 said:

:notworthy:

Any answers are welcome. If you think I am an idiot, feel free to tell me. Won't be the first time anyone has told me that... LOL

Don

Sorry. I don't think I suggested any such thing. You asked for opinions. I gave mine.

Maxwell-8
Just now, Snoopy11 said:

Don

Have a Jonsered 2188, same as a Husky 390, but doesn't drive my WH. Whould have plenty of torque and horspower (3hp 2stroke has no bottom-end and will definitly not mow.

Snoopy11
1 minute ago, Snoopy11 said:

Don

'cause the thing is... nobody is going to beat the rpms of a 2 stroke. --just not going to happen with a 4 stroke... too many moving parts and friction. By the time a 4 stroke has moved 1 revolution, a 2 stoke has doubled....

Don

• Like 1

Snoopy11
1 minute ago, Gregor said:

Sorry. I don't think I suggested any such thing. You asked for opinions. I gave mine.

Oh, no, I want opinions, including yours! Any/all are welcome. I am just simply telling everyone to be honest... I really don't want to waste my time if it isn't even going to work...

Thus I say, if you think I am an idiot, please feel free to tell me... LOL

Thanks man,

Don

• Like 1

Snoopy11
3 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

Have a Jonsered 2188, same as a Husky 390, but doesn't drive my WH. Whould have plenty of torque and horspower (3hp 2stroke has no bottom-end and will definitly not mow.

Yeah, I don't even have a mowing deck... so 'dats not a problem.

I think... what I am most looking for is something that I can put on the tractor for a competition to beat everybody there... then go back to my Tillotson Racing engines after. I don't really want to keep the 2 stroker on there all the time...

Don

• Like 2

Snoopy11
10 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

Or better, a Stihl TS 760 or something 111cc, already is belt driven.

Husky engine being off of a chainsaw... right?

Don