Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

WHX??

I know Madge @AMC RULES uses this stuff and gets real nice can jobs too... 

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

I use automotive clear coat in rattle cans I purchase from Advance Auto. Two or three coats . 

chip61

Ran the 416H hard all weekend cutting tall grass and weeds. It also had energy to pull this 414-8 from my neighbor's house to mine. He passed away last month and he told his wife he wanted me to have his tractor. It was pretty clean when he got it a few years ago, but it has been outside for the past few years and it shows, but I'll get it cleaned up. I'm pretty sure he used it over the winter so it shouldn't be too much trouble to get it running. I was excited about the deck-it's a 99 42" deck with the reinforcing bar but when I pulled it off and started cleaning it I realized it has some rust-through on the top where the guards held grass and it got wet. Otherwise the deck is surprisingly solid so maybe it's worth trying to salvage it??

I don't normally name my tractors but I'll call this one George after my neighbor.

20210502_140819.jpg

20210502_144126.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

kpinnc
1 hour ago, Snoopy11 said:

So... if I were you, I would buy... this from Amazon.

Thanks Don, I might just check it out!

Snoopy11
32 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

I use automotive clear coat in rattle cans I purchase from Advance Auto. Two or three coats . 

Sir yes sir. The only problem that I have found with those is that they do not harden quite as hard as I personally like, and they do not hold up to gasoline quite like Spraymax 2K...

Thus... why I use and recommend it! I personally feel like it is the best spray can clear coat on the market. Just my opinion though!!!

Don

Snoopy11
30 minutes ago, chip61 said:

Ran the 416H hard all weekend cutting tall grass and weeds. It also had energy to pull this 414-8 from my neighbor's house to mine. He passed away last month and he told his wife he wanted me to have his tractor. It was pretty clean when he got it a few years ago, but it has been outside for the past few years and it shows, but I'll get it cleaned up. I'm pretty sure he used it over the winter so it shouldn't be too much trouble to get it running. I was excited about the deck-it's a 99 42" deck with the reinforcing bar but when I pulled it off and started cleaning it I realized it has some rust-through on the top where the guards held grass and it got wet. Otherwise the deck is surprisingly solid so maybe it's worth trying to salvage it??

I don't normally name my tractors but I'll call this one George after my neighbor.

20210502_140819.jpg

20210502_144126.jpg

If you can weld... sheet metal at Lowes is what I used on John Deere zero turn. Works great. Then, get yourself some of this here and it won't rust again... at least mine didn't!!!

Don

• Like 1

Snoopy11
55 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

I know Madge @AMC RULES uses this stuff and gets real nice can jobs too... 

Sir yes sir, that is another good one. Only problem is, you can remove it with gasoline...

I tell you what, I never thought that gasoline would be much of an issue, until I used clear coat that wasn't gas proof... then I figured out the hard way that it is better to start off with the best... then you don't have to do a redo...

Don

D_Mac

Well I took my maiden voyage on the 1075 today. It runs and drives great. Not so pretty but looks are not everything. I was having so much fun with it that I ran out of gas half way down my street. Ughhhhh. I had left the wrench under the seat to open and close the valve on the tranny so I was able to push it back home. Added more fuel and I was off and running again. Battery dosnt seem to hold a charge or it isnt charging. The cigarette lighter works !! To bad I dont smoke. Not sure what I want to do with it or where to start first. I think the tires and wheels. They have been painted and who ever did it did an awful job. Paint all over where it isnt suppose to be. I may paint the tires then try to get all the white paint off them. They are original Wheel Horse tires so I like to keep them. Anyone ever use black paint on tires before?

20210430_164702.jpg

20210430_164649.jpg

• Like 4

Gregor
16 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

Anyone ever use black paint on tires before?

I'm thinkin' that would not work so well. The constant flexing of the tires would cause the paint to crack, and flake off pretty quick I think. But if you google tire paint, it's out there.

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

@chip61 Had a similar spot on one of my decks. My brother's neighbor cut it and welded a patch in can't even see where it was rusted.

Jeff-C175
3 hours ago, D_Mac said:

Anyone ever use black paint on tires before?

They make actual tire paint just for that purpose.  I think I saw it on Miller Tire website.

https://www.millertire.com/products/tire-supplies/tire-paint/1-quart-black-tire-paint/

I haven't tried it but the reviews look good.  

Duplicolor and others have aerosol bombs but they give you the 'wet look' which I don't think is what you're after.

Jeff-C175

I really like the tread pattern on the Versa Turf.  I looked at getting them then saw that I could get a pair of Turf Master for a little more than the price of ONE!

They do look good though!  and RADIALS to boot!

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Snoopy11
20 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I really like the tread pattern on the Versa Turf.  I looked at getting them then saw that I could get a pair of Turf Master for a little more than the price of ONE!

They do look good though!  and RADIALS to boot!

image.png

I bought some tires from Greater Cleveland Tire... good people!

Don

Edited by Snoopy11
issue...

Snoopy11

4 hours ago, D_Mac said:

Well I took my maiden voyage on the 1075 today. It runs and drives great. Not so pretty but looks are not everything. I was having so much fun with it that I ran out of gas half way down my street. Ughhhhh. I had left the wrench under the seat to open and close the valve on the tranny so I was able to push it back home. Added more fuel and I was off and running again. Battery dosnt seem to hold a charge or it isnt charging. The cigarette lighter works !! To bad I dont smoke. Not sure what I want to do with it or where to start first. I think the tires and wheels. They have been painted and who ever did it did an awful job. Paint all over where it isnt suppose to be. I may paint the tires then try to get all the white paint off them. They are original Wheel Horse tires so I like to keep them. Anyone ever use black paint on tires before?

20210430_164702.jpg

20210430_164649.jpg

Uh-oh... been there... done that...

I WOULD NOT USE TIRE PAINT.... IT IS GARBAGE IN MY EXPERIENCE! Grab some shop rags and dip in gasoline. This will/should take the white paint off the tires just fine. In the small areas, I would dip q-tips in the gasoline. This may take a while, but the reward will be tires ready for a nice wet look. I would go with this as it works excellent on old tires like that. Obviously, after using the gasoline, the tires are going to look grumpy... but after the above Rustoleum shine, they will look brand new!!!

Don

Gregor

When I was younger, (much younger), we use to use brake fluid on our tires. Made them look really good. For a while anyway.

D_Mac

I'm leaning towards painting the rims black. That way I can cover some of the paint on the tires. Plus I think black rims with the hub caps will look good. I saw on here once someone painted a tri-color scheme on wheels but I am unable to find it.

squonk

Miller tire paint works very well but is expensive. Lasts quite a while and doesn't crack $20 a qt.

Black_Tire_Paint_Qrt_NEW__21310.1402487438.jpg?c=2

• Like 1

ranger

RBefore I retired, we used a product called “RubberKleen”. It’s a watery liquid which you brush on to any rubber items, tyres, etc. It leaves a “mat” finish and is supposed to protect the rubber products. It also leaves the tyres with a more “Original” look than that produced by using tyre paint!

Doug.

P.S. This is NOT A PAINT.

Edited by ranger

Snoopy11
1 hour ago, D_Mac said:

I'm leaning towards painting the rims black. That way I can cover some of the paint on the tires. Plus I think black rims with the hub caps will look good. I saw on here once someone painted a tri-color scheme on wheels but I am unable to find it.

Oh oh oh. Okay. No problem. I still wouldn't paint the tires... (cracked, pits like others here have said).

Not trying to be a smart :scared-shocked:ss... but if you do this right the first time, you won't need to go back again a second time. Tire paints and ...well... 'painting tires' is not a lucrative endeavor unless you want to screw with it every couple of months... LOL

Game plan on what I have done in the past: (I already said this, so pardon my repetition) I would use gas to rub on the tires to get the white off, never mind if you get any on the white rim since you are going to paint it anyway. THEN, give the rims a good old fashioned sanding with fine grit. Tape around the rim (on the tire) with painters tape. If you are going to use rattle can, then... I would definitely use a good primer, I recommend this. I don't know what color black you plan to use, but this has worked VERY well for me in the past. I always recommend a clear coat of SprayMax 2K, which you can find here.

That is one route to think about...

Again, from my experience, I would not recommend painting the tires. Paints, even those designed for tires, have a difficult time bonding and the longevity of it lasting is very short...

Another thought, once you use a 'tire paint' ...if... 'when' it starts cracking... you can never go back, unless you use gasoline or other paint thinner to remove it. THEN you have to basically remove paint from more surface area of the tire. OR... like I said above you have to keep buying their products and applying them every few months (all in the money-making plan for the manufacturers)...:wink:

Don

• Like 1

D_Mac

I know what you are saying. I have done several tractors in the past and always cleaned the tires. When I paint rims I take the extra time to NOT get any paint on the tires. That being said who ever painted these rims got paint all over the tires. I already tried gas and carb cleaner. The paint is on thick. Plus the tires being almost 60 years old now are cracked and paint is in the cracks. They are a mess. I will clean as much as I can. Trust me when I refresh a tractor I spend hours with a tooth brush getting every little nook in cranny. Check out some of my other tractors. This one my plans are to leave it gritty and sweaty looking. The only things I am going to paint are the rims and seat... and possibly the tires ! I already left a message to @Vinylguy about some custom decals. I need to find a cooling fan for the tranny, with the guard. I also want to replace the choke and throttle cables. 

• Like 1

squonk

Don. I will have a fan and and possibly the guard after the show.

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

D_Mac
7 minutes ago, squonk said:

Don. I will have a fan and and possibly the guard after the show.

I sent A-Z an email already. When is the " Show" ? and how far of a drive is it from where I am?

• Like 1

JoeM

Loaded some 23 10.50 12's, didn't get the pump and stuff out, just used a piece of gas line and drilled a cap. Took a few minutes a bottle, but no concern raining out and just kicked back used the bottle as a pump.

1866683363_LoadingRearTires1.jpg.e30de12334afe3090cb05dfee043bb51.jpg27974974_LoadingRearTires2.jpg.4687181e42c21aea48d183304b9d98a2.jpg

• Like 6

squonk
6 hours ago, D_Mac said:

I sent A-Z an email already. When is the " Show" ? and how far of a drive is it from where I am?

Thursday Fri and Sat after Father's day. With a couple of quick stops it's 5 to 5 1/2 hrs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1