Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Greentored

@johnnymag3 I bought a 1” f/f union, turned it in the lathe just enough for a 1 3/4 pipe to slip over, and welded it. The muffler at the top is just an old 3/4” threaded, fastened to a hunk of 1” pipe, I drop it in the stack when I shouldn’t be pissing the neighbors off lol. It’s very quiet with that on top. 

I also have a Harley drag pipe baffle I drop in and fasten with a screw, but it still barks pretty good. Open pipe is awesome, but have a good relationship with my neighbors and have been finding any excuse to putt around on it, they will appreciate some form of baffle ha! 

• Like 1

johnnymag3

excellent ! Thanks for the great info......

sorry for the confusion of who posted

j ohn

• Like 1

johnnymag3

Made some headway today on the 310-8. doing all of the wiring over......its a rats nest....but it does work !!   Wire nuts, scotch locks...whatever he had in reach I guess

Also found a regulator rectifier behind the dash plate...!!!!!!!

Whats the deal here I ask. I thought it was one of those unregulated systems....      Hmmmmm

I guess the previous owner may know....but maybe not. Remember he is 88 years old. This is part of my Covid….19....Corona deal 3 weeks ago

HELP121516033_thumbnail_IMG_14691.jpg.20901799a05bfa0a0f6b543a0e019ae1.jpgimage.png.616bd64b9483b4c3c41b8869776cdb40.png1677690668_thumbnail_IMG_14681.jpg.c7c8105e189d820164568c634316ab02.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

johnnymag3

So I just saw that it is a big block 10 H.P. engine...does this make a difference? the block hangs over on the right side by 2-3 inches.

I have two heavy yellow wires coming out from the Magneto cover / grass screen...

they run to the AC posts on the rectifier

AC+    and AC-          Of course the B+ goes to the usual

do I have a strange duck here?

Again, Thanks

I can post pictures of anything you need for reference

ebinmaine
20 minutes ago, johnnymag3 said:

big block 10

I think pretty much any iron Kohler is a big block if it is 10 horse or bigger.

Any chance of getting any numbers off of the engine so it can be identified individually from the tractor?

• Like 1

pfrederi

OK  they made 310-8 for 8 years over which time that had different engines and different electrical systems.  What is model number of your tractor.  What model and spec number on the engine??

johnnymag3

Ok so here is the info.....

K241S on the engine

2110K802      17286   on the Tractor   

Thanks guys

johnnymag3

I want to do this right and I want to do this once     !!!!

This is the place to get the correct info:D

pfrederi

There should be a spec number on your engine  probably starts with a 4

pfrederi

You said Magneto cover.  The engine should have had a coil.  take a couple pictures of the engine if you can't find a spec ##.  Things have been swapped out over the years...

johnnymag3

ok going to get it....sorry

johnnymag3

tere is a coil.....and condenser. Positive wire goes to the key switch as normal, but here is my spec. number  46863

Hope this helps !!

johnnymag3

there *

pfrederi

for some reason 46863 goes beyond my parts manual and the Kohler site has little info

I am assuming the system currently is not charging the battery??? Do the lights work??

only 2 wires coming from behind the engine shroud.  Peel back the covering and see if you find a dioide on one of them..

johnnymag3

The system charges, and the lights do work. I will peel away some of the covering for you

johnnymag3

this is what I found under the covering1739925058_thumbnail_IMG_14971.jpg.a3479e5783256b6b421cf794452c2650.jpg1684346276_thumbnail_IMG_14961.jpg.3b2e4d302064f6ab3dc737c2a15f4875.jpg

Greentored

Took the 654 trail bomber for a little mud n water run!

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

tom2p
On 4/28/2020 at 10:13 PM, balconio said:

Fixed the seat switch today, which was defeated by the previous owner. I figure it's a safety measure worth keeping on this tractor because I mow with it and would like to give that duty over to my sons in the next few years.

IMG_20200428_220947614.jpg

hey - pay attention to where the seat springs contact when the seat is in the down position 

if the one spring contacts the top of the dip stick handle the other end of the dip stick can get chewed up by the internal transmission parts 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, Greentored said:

Looks like more fun than a barrel o monkeys

• Haha 1

Pullstart
8 hours ago, Greentored said:

02FBD6AD-4EE1-48FA-B05D-B2B71D5B7677.jpeg.659da0f7d54737678170d2a2daec787d.jpeg

• Haha 2

balconio
9 hours ago, tom2p said:

hey - pay attention to where the seat springs contact when the seat is in the down position 

if the one spring contacts the top of the dip stick handle the other end of the dip stick can get chewed up by the internal transmission parts 

oh man- thx for the pro-tip there. my next job on this tractor is to replace a leaking brake shaft seal and change the gear oil, so i'll definitely check the stick and look for metal shavings in the fluid i drain off.

tom2p
34 minutes ago, balconio said:

oh man- thx for the pro-tip there. my next job on this tractor is to replace a leaking brake shaft seal and change the gear oil, so i'll definitely check the stick and look for metal shavings in the fluid i drain off.

as eb would say - don't ask me how I know this ... lol

one seat spring on my 312 was apparently rubbing / pushing on the top of the dipstick (handle) and it apparently caused the end of the dipstick to contact moving parts in the gearbox and ground a small notch in the end of the dipstick 

of course this happened after a recent trans fluid change ... so had to do it again  

the top of the dipstick should sit lower and/or the plate (the seat springs rest on) should be higher ... 

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

tom2p

greentored's videos are great ... now itching to get my round hood (704) out  

but his might run up to 36 mph - and mine will go 6 mph  lol

Edited by tom2p
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, tom2p said:

as eb would say

To be fair I stole borrowed took that from a couple others like @pfrederi and @Achto.

:D

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, tom2p said:

greentored's videos have me itching to get my round hood (704) out  

but his might run up to 36 mph - and mine will go 6 mph  lol

Nothing wrong with that Tom.

I can't even get out of second gear mid throttle going down through my woods trails but I still enjoy it every single time I do it.

• Excellent 1