Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Pullstart
5 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Two words:

Fork Lift

:thumbs:

Three words.  Genius!

• Haha 6

ebinmaine
29 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Three words.  Genius!

Count might be off there...

rjg854

Gee

Knee

Us

• Haha 6

Pullstart

I took my socks off to help count... I think I’ve got this?

F1081B2D-A62E-4FB4-85F3-858266977BA7.jpeg

• Haha 5
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, pullstart said:

I took my socks off to help count... I think I’ve got this?

F1081B2D-A62E-4FB4-85F3-858266977BA7.jpeg

Well played Sir!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

lynnmor
2 hours ago, Roger R said:

New Tires and front weights on the Charger 12.  Incidentally when I removed the rear wheels, there seemed to be a lot of back lash in the final drive, which became obvious to be in the hub / axle attachment.  Long story short; new key way cut into the hubs, new hardened wood ruff keys, and two alloy hardened sets. Sets and keys came from McMaster Carr, Key way cut at a local machine shop.  A word to the wise: If you have a machine with these style hubs, put a wrench on them from time to time and maybe save later repairs.  

Excellent  "Newbie" post.  I suggested years ago, to check the set screws at each oil change.  Often the axle will be totaled if run too loose for too long.

• Like 4

Bertie

Finally sorted the 416-8 onan surging and cutting out. Cleaned out the fuel pump, replaced the manifold gaskets and replaced the carb purchased from a member kind enough to ship it to me in the UK. True gent 👍

20190720_144657.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 6

TonyToro
21 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

You SURE it's the boy?

You're not influencing him in any way?

None?

Really?

:lol:

AWESOME to see the kid involved!

Ummmm maybe a little. 😆 

• Excellent 1

12Horse Paladin

No pics, but yesterday, i changed out my 1st fuel line, on my newly acquired c160😊...

...and as an added 'bonus', drained n cleanedout my fuel tank, when i pulled the fuel shutoff, too...!🤔🤣😂

Well, i learned a few xtra things with THAT process, anyhow...!😉

Edited by 12Horse Paladin
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Greentored

Got the newly acquired raider 12 and 1277 fired up and took them for a short ride. Drivetrains and engines good, now on to maintenance and belts, maybe a bath. Also dragged the 520H down to the shop for its 25 hour 'post restoration' checkover. Ran over a big nail the first day with the new tires of course, and the plug didnt seal 100%, so broke the tire down and patched correctly- thats a real picnic getting 7 gallons of washer fluid out of there without making a huge mess:lol:. Also pulled the carb and did a proper dip clean to combat an occasional surging issue, and figured might as well reseal the intake halves while im there. Sure enough, it was leaking, and probably the real reason for the surge.....

1277.jpg

raider.jpg

520x.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4

PeacemakerJack
38 minutes ago, Greentored said:

1277.jpg

raider.jpg

520x.jpg

Alright—-several things from these pics:

1) I really like that 1277 in the first pic.  I grew up using an 875 (in my avatar) and I have a special spot in my heart for that specific set of square hoods whether long or short frame

2) that custom seat cover on the raider 12 is pretty cool.  It looks like it was set up to match the decal on the hood.  I’d like to see more pictures of that once the tractor is all cleaned up.

3) I really like your 520 but with me, you can’t just take a picture of it in front of a 1966 GTO without so much as an acknowledgement😉!  I brought @JCM‘s thread on muscle cars and hotrods back to the top of the off topic page.  Please post some pics there of what appears to be a saaawweeet machine and tell us a little about it. 

Looks like you had a fun filled  Wheel Horse day for sure!

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

WHX??
10 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

I really like that 1277 in the first pic

Got one for sale here Jack you really think you have to have one! :)

19 hours ago, Roger R said:

Key way cut at a local machine shop. 

Just out of curiosity here  Roger what did they charge you for doing it? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Greentored
40 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Alright—-several things from these pics:

1) I really like that 1277 in the first pic.  I grew up using an 875 (in my avatar) and I have a special spot in my heart for that specific set of square hoods whether long or short frame

2) that custom seat cover on the raider 12 is pretty cool.  It looks like it was set up to match the decal on the hood.  I’d like to see more pictures of that once the tractor is all cleaned up.

3) I really like your 520 but with me, you can’t just take a picture of it in front of a 1966 GTO without so much as an acknowledgement😉!  I brought @JCM‘s thread on muscle cars and hotrods back to the top of the off topic page.  Please post some pics there of what appears to be a saaawweeet machine and tell us a little about it. 

Looks like you had a fun filled  Wheel Horse day for sure!

Gotta admit, the first time I sat on the 1277 and grabbed the hydro stick to move it, the thing just "feels right". The stick function is 1000x better than my 520. Not sure if ill flip that one or keep her, really like it!

The seat cover on the Raider, I had no idea that was custom, how cool? One owner tractor and he was a farmer- so nice to find a clean, well maintained machine that hasnt been hacked by 14 backyard mechanics (not that theres anything wrong with that lol). Part of the mule drive is broken, I bet thats the only reason it got put away in the barn.

As for the muscle cars- stay tuned and I will add some to the off topic thread. I own a classic car/hotrod shop and have a few of my own as well. The 66 GTO belongs to a customer- just did an overdrive swap and some other minor things. Its powered by the original 389, now 408 inches, with a roller cam, aluminum Kauffman heads, and fuel injection. Nothing radical but strong, and has a TON of suspension and brake upgrades- a true cross country/mountain roads monster:handgestures-thumbup:

• Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

Roger R
4 hours ago, WHX24 said:

Got one for sale here Jack you really think you have to have one! :)

Just out of curiosity here  Roger what did they charge you for doing it? 

$40.00 Total for both hubs.  Somewhat better than 80.00 > 90.00 apiece on Flee Bay, and who knows if they match and will work.  After 52 years on the originals, I think the repairs will out last me.  Besides the fact that "Two Sets are better than one"  The axles showed little or no damage, as they are hardened steel. I did a discrete file test and would have had to work at it to even get the file to bite.

• Like 2

lynnmor
3 hours ago, Roger R said:

The axles showed little or no damage, as they are hardened steel. I did a discrete file test and would have had to work at it to even get the file to bite.

The axles run right on the bearings so Wheel Horse induction hardens that area.  The hardened area extends outward a variable amount.

Pullstart

Clearing out a bit so I can put a few machines up in the rack again...

B26BAC7C-BC8D-47AB-B9F5-3FD8A24E3501.jpeg

Already getting somewhere with just 4 in or under the racking.  

14D879AF-A960-4133-BD9F-AB4B05D30D4B.jpeg

E826769B-26BE-4422-B4E9-375B62416CDB.jpeg

Edited by pullstart
Pictures
  • Like 5

Lee1977

Sorry no pictures.  Use the 312-8 this afternoon to spread 20 tons of crusher run stone on my driveway.  It was a bit damp and didn't spread very good plus there was a tree in the way. only got spread on about half of the drive. Got the load about 4 PM by dark I had about 3/4 of the drive covered. Still have 3 or 4 ton to move don't know when that will happen suppose to rain tomorrow.

It's raining today I got a couple of pictures of the driveway from the back door.

SAM-1191.jpg

SAM-1192.jpg

SAM-1193.jpg

SAM-1194.jpg

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 8

Pullstart

Lee what attachment(s) did you use to spread the gravel?  Looks nice!

Lee1977

A home made grader and rear pulverizer. Both are 48" wide

SAM-0966.jpg

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 6
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

Taking out the fire ash...  I have 4 barrels that I rotate to allow MONTHS for any cinders to die.  

4FB98BB5-5AAF-4E37-B873-C4E4954320DD.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Dan.gerous
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

Taking out the fire ash...  I have 4 barrels that I rotate to allow MONTHS for any cinders to die.  

4FB98BB5-5AAF-4E37-B873-C4E4954320DD.jpeg

Always best to wait months, don't want any out of control grass fires being traced back to your ash pile!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Dan.gerous

I reinstalled the brakes on one of my horses, the PO had taken then off as the pedal fouled one of the pulleys for the rototiller. I sorted the pulley, found all the bits and after a fight with a few rusted bolts managed to get it all back on the machine and working.

Also swapped the rear tyres out for a spare set that are full of water. It seemed to make a difference when tilling. Will fill my spare set of front tyres with water tomorrow to help control the wheelies!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

We fired up JackRabbit (418-C) last night and @Coulter Caleb cut the front lawn.  It didn’t need it terribly bad but some areas where looking a little unruly.  Something isn’t running quite with the motor right now and I can’t put my finger on it. It doesn’t seem like it has the power that it has had in past years.  Can’t tell if the Governor isn’t engaging like it should or it is something else.  I need to do a general diagnostic on it to see if there is something obvious like low compression, carb adjustment, or Governor issue.  I’ll keep you posted...it is a fun and stout little tractor.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1