Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

Hey everybody, look!  It’s Trina doing the work again!  Where’s EB?  :teasing-poke:  :ROTF:

He's burnin rods...

:handgestures-thumbup:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Heart 1

Stormin

Ever since I rebuilt my Wheel Horse C-125's engine, I could never get it to run as I'd like it. Idling was the main issue. I've been working on it of and on, but just lately it's been hard to start.

Today I decided to swap the carb for a reconditioned one I got off Richard. (Anglo Traction). Getting it going and warmed up, I played around with the mixture screws, until I got it running something like. Still wouldn't start like it should and I found the spark plug dry. It has a primer bulb fitted BTW and usually three squeezes and away it would go.  I was having to juggle the throttle and choke till it would fire up. I'm going to  try another pump.

I also checked the points gap. That was ok. 18-19 thou.

The starter motor had started sticking as well and seem a tad lazy. That was removed and I found the gears on the Benndix a bit worse for wear. Also the bearing on the Bedix end, has some play. Motor is now on the bench and if/when I can, I'll see if I can rebuild it.

I had a spare starter motor somewhere. Now found and fitted.

After fitting it I tried starting the engine. Usual thing. No change. Juggle! Jiggle! Ay up! What's that spark doing there? Where you ask? Engine end of the P.T.O. operating rod. Best check engine to chassis earth. Broken cable found. Tucked away at the back of the engine, below the starter motor. The eye on one end had broken off. New cable now fitted and also more accessible.

That's as far as I got.  Tomorrow I'll see how things go. If starting is not any better, I'll fit another pump and maybe check valve clearances.

• Like 6

Pullstart
17 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

He's burnin rods...

:handgestures-thumbup:

WOO HOO!  :banana-gotpics:

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
Just now, pullstart said:

WOO HOO!  :banana-gotpics:

Patience man. Patience.

:ROTF:

Stormin
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

IMG_20200404_114131408.jpg.f3f2384dad3ad659f4a12febc7e1a176.jpg

IMG_20200404_114146635_HDR.jpg.340d82e3d9216bac97cedbe1202988a9.jpg

I think someone needs Trina to show him how to focus the camera. :P

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, Stormin said:

I think someone needs Trina to show him how to focus the camera. :P

Best I could do on this smartphone. That was actually at long-distance magnified 8x

muz123

Got the 36” Tiller on one 520, and the 60” on the other today. Also did some maintenance on the deck too. 

0A6F2D5B-3F9C-44C3-AB27-AD86ED504127.jpeg.dcdfa890beeeb75de8a05f0c6071493a.jpeg

675B35C5-A753-490C-829A-1F075D48A89C.jpeg.60453585266f587065d0980237daa084.jpeg

DE70DA05-916B-49E3-AFCA-786BD5FFE89C.jpeg.0b546ceeb731ad74f50bb414fb4f9ce4.jpeg

14FAF645-4FD4-46CB-9DD5-81A8BE9A1B03.jpeg.da71657a53cfd797e59860c568113956.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

Ok,ok,ok—I think that we will try to pull some of the “steeds” out of hibernation and go for a tractor ride around the property.  I’ll add that a fire pit bonfire will also be on our agenda for later today.  

Maybe a little catch and baseball this afternoon...🤔

this should be fun...

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 4

Stormin

Well the valve clearances were ok.  Also after lifting the head, I could see on inspection of the valve  seats and valve heads, all was ok there. No sign of burn or damage.

With the carb' being removed to check the valve clearances, I spun the engine to see how the fuel pump performed. A good spurt of fuel shot out at each revolution. So that was ok.

Nailed everything back together and tried starting. Engine eventually fired up but was surging. Though on low rev's was smoother. Bit of trying different positions of the governor spring and then it hit me. Earlier I'd checked the governor arm position on the spindle.

Guess what? When setting it yesterday, I'd turned the spindle the wrong way.  Clockwise instead of anticlockwise. :banghead:

Rectified that and the surging decreased. Well it would' wouldn't it!  Played around with the mixture settings, till eventually I was more or less happyish with things.

Had a run around and all seemed well. Tomorrow I'll see how it starts again.

I still think the original trouble was the original carb. My boo! boo! with the governor didn't help things. But as my father used to say, "The man who never made a mistake, never made anything".

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 2

Stormin

P.S And the broken earth wire.

• Like 1

WHX??
6 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

a fire pit bonfire will also be on our agenda for later today.  

Nay nay on the fire pit Jack.... DNR suspended all burning permits... :(

• Sad 1

ZXT
10 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

A permit to burn? What's that?

I'll be cooking some weenies over a fire here in a bit.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
19 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

8 minutes ago, ZXT said:

A permit to burn? What's that?

I'll be cooking some weenies over a fire here in a bit.

That's one good thing about Maine.

A Small Contained fire on your own land is ALWAYS legal.

Old state law.

IIRC it's called a Warming fire.

For heating food or people.

• Like 3

WHX??

This time of year ZXT you have to have a burning permit for any type of outside fire....pits, trash barrels etc... The permits are free and you are supposed to go get one from someone in yer 'hood you gives them out. Jack and I are rural so have no idea who gives them out.  Fire danger is high till green up but the powers that be worry about sending crews out because of the covids. I guess I can relate people around here do stupid things. 

• Like 3

Achto
1 hour ago, WHX24 said:

This time of year ZXT you have to have a burning permit for any type of outside fire....pits, trash barrels etc... The permits are free and you are supposed to go get one from someone in yer 'hood you gives them out. Jack and I are rural so have no idea who gives them out.  Fire danger is high till green up but the powers that be worry about sending crews out because of the covids. I guess I can relate people around here do stupid things. 

There's a simple loop hole in that permit thing, They can not say anything about a cooking fire, so grab a package of hot dogs & light er up.:thumbs2:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:... if yer burnin burgers it's just "discouraged"

• Haha 2

Chestnut
10 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I didn't know about that Maine law. Had a burn pile last week in Maine. Fire chief told us to go online for a permit. Went online and got a 404 message. Seems that the website doesn't even open to take your $7 until 5PM, even though burns are allowed all day if it's raining or if there's snow cover. Decided to use the live free or die rules where permits aren't needed if raining or snow covered. Overnight snow had covered everything but was almost gone by the afternoon.

That's one good thing about Maine.

A Small Contained fire on your own land is ALWAYS legal.

Old state law.

IIRC it's called a Warming fire.

For heating food or people.

• Like 1

Stormin

Well the C-125 started well this morning, so I'm a happy bunny. :)

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Haha 2

PeacemakerJack

After a variety of yard projects yesterday,  got five tractors out of hibernation and played with the kids for awhile. 

D3073F4D-DB7E-4A1E-A8B2-811CC42E0C6E.thumb.jpeg.b6b1f751b0437677018975c3c436b602.jpeg

Caleb had fun on Comanche.  I think we need to do a refresh on his 56 year old motor.  It smokes pretty good on startup but clears out decently after about 8-10 minutes of run time.  

D40B6A14-986A-465A-BDDB-A72EF7EE8E43.thumb.jpeg.d800cb6acd2f16577401a54218ea2e74.jpeg

Claudia drove “JackRabbit” (418-C) and loved the fact that she was so much faster than the old 854 that her older brother was driving.  Not sure what Caleb was saying to her here but maybe something like, “just remember, that’s my tractor too!” 

The little guys ran around on Cubs while I was on GhostRider.  

It was a fun half hour or so!!!!

• Like 1
  • Heart 5