Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

tom2p
19 hours ago, R Scheer said:

While I tried installing the rollup toboggan in the chute, easier to imagine then do.  But I'll leave it as is for now until I get some snow to try it in.

The toboggan isn't particularly flexible in the cold, at least not when you're dealing with double compound curves and shape changes.  And I didn't want to drill any holes in the chute, only had to drill one 1/4" hole.

20191223_140405.jpg

agree - might sound easy but the install not so easy 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

tom2p

what I did today ...

moved a bunch of stuff to uncover a tractor ...

my fav - the 704 

894792AA-B5A9-4AB7-912C-86A8402E85E3.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

19richie66

Love that “spooky” foggy forest. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

PeacemakerJack

Dude—I was going to take the picture on the 24th cause it was sunny and perfect but then I got distracted with “Santa” duties!  So, overnight the fog came in heavy and left a blanket of ice on everything (  @ebinmaine Have you ever read “down the pogonip trail by Louis L’amour? It reminded me of that) and that fog held on all day.  It made me think of something from the U.K. like our brothers @Stormin over there where you can feel the air sometimes it is so heavy.  The boys loved it though!👍🏻

• Like 3

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Dude—I was going to take the picture on the 24th cause it was sunny and perfect but then I got distracted with “Santa” duties!  So, overnight the fog came in heavy and left a blanket of ice on everything (  @ebinmaine Have you ever read “down the pogonip trail by Louis L’amour? It reminded me of that) and that fog held on all day.  It made me think of something from the U.K. like our brothers @Stormin over there where you can feel the air sometimes it is so heavy.  The boys loved it though!👍🏻

I do vaguely remember that story.

He did write quite a few but I've read them all.

I've seen one of those ice fogs once a few years back in the White mountains in New Hampshire. Dead calm. No wind. Every kind of creepy you can imagine and then some.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

tom2p
4 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

The boys played “TAG” today.  @Coulter Caleb is on his 854 Comanche (thanks to @Sparky once again😉) Judge is on the Mule (his CC100) and ZacMan is on Rusty (my 1054A).

it was about 35 degrees outside and we had just finished our Christmas picture and so they decided to drive around a little.  Zac figures out that if he got on to that little bit of snow in 2nd and turned a hard corner he could drift the rear end a little...:auto-layrubber:

Boys will be boys!

I wouldn’t have it any other way.

good stuff 

brings back memories 

when I was a kid during winter months we would often take the tractors back into the woods and open trails ... make new trails ... dirt bike trails ...

would take a few saws to cut the larger stuff - run over the smaller stuff with the tractors 

used the 704 pictured in prev post ... as you can guess the front of the hood took a little abuse 

would sometimes go to my friends house - he would use a larger tractor  (farmall) and I would follow with a cub ... and two dogs barking  lol

good time of the year to open trails because the foliage is down

• Like 1
  • Heart 2

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat: I would love to see a vintage pic of you with that 704! I started a thread on here a couple of years ago dedicated to vintage pics that folks have with their horses.  Some really cool stuff in that thread.  How many years has that been in your family?  I don’t know if you’ve already posted your story with :wh: GT’s on here somewhere, but I always like hearing the back stories of how someone has interconnected with these cool little tractors over the years.  Sounds like you had some serious fun with them as a youngster!:auto-driving:

• Like 1

ZXT
7 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

:text-yeahthat: I would love to see a vintage pic of you with that 704! I started a thread on here a couple of years ago dedicated to vintage pics that folks have with their horses.  Some really cool stuff in that thread.  How many years has that been in your family?  I don’t know if you’ve already posted your story with :wh: GT’s on here somewhere, but I always like hearing the back stories of how someone has interconnected with these cool little tractors over the years.  Sounds like you had some serious fun with them as a youngster!:auto-driving:

I'm going to have to look that thread up! Would be very cool to see them in action back in the day. Wouldn't happen to have a link, would you?

After I got off work, I started my C-120 (or should I call it a C-140? Is that acceptable?) for the first time in about two months. I had ran the carb dry so I pressurized the tank to fill the fuel bowl. Cranked one revolution and idled. I love Kohlers! 

Also put a new ignition switch in the C-160. It didn't need a new switch, except that I stole the switch from it back in October to put in my dads C-141 when I re-wired it. Didn't put the battery back on it as it was getting dark, but I might tomorrow. It needs to be run.

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

Here’s one of them...

There are some great photos in this thread  and some really cool stories.  Look for a young @Shynon and a very young @squonk and @Lane Ranger among others.  I would love to see even more content added to that thread...

• Like 4

ebinmaine

Bought a couple inexpensive tarps off the jungle site to cover the "parts department".

Did a little reorganizing out there and snugged the stuff in for a long winters nap under a blanket of snow.

IMG_20191228_071941317_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg.025868b1f1f5a3fc1f9df53bd4fe0b6c.jpg

Finally took a few minutes to finish up the carb from when @JCM Jim was over and we learned how to add spacers to the top of the shaft.

I had spilled just a touch of blue loctite on the pivot point.

I used a q-tip to drip a few drops of acetone in there. Let it sit. Blew it out. Repeat a couple times.

Works perfectly.

So that'll get tossed on the Cinnamon Horse sometime.

I've got 2 more carbs to freshen up and put bushings in. 

• Like 3

Pullstart
17 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Bought a couple inexpensive tarps off the jungle site to cover the "parts department".

Did a little reorganizing out there and snugged the stuff in for a long winters nap under a blanket of snow.

IMG_20191228_071941317_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg.025868b1f1f5a3fc1f9df53bd4fe0b6c.jpg

Finally took a few minutes to finish up the carb from when @JCM Jim was over and we learned how to add spacers to the top of the shaft.

I had spilled just a touch of blue loctite on the pivot point.

I used a q-tip to drip a few drops of acetone in there. Let it sit. Blew it out. Repeat a couple times.

Works perfectly.

So that'll get tossed on the Cinnamon Horse sometime.

I've got 2 more carbs to freshen up and put bushings in. 

Is there a how to thread we’re following on that?  I remember the bushing / reamer talk... that’s about the jist of my memory bank.

pfrederi
2 hours ago, pullstart said:

Is there a how to thread we’re following on that?  I remember the bushing / reamer talk... that’s about the jist of my memory bank.

I just put the bushings in a Kohler Carb.  No need for reaming or any other fancy stuff.  just pressed them in with a small arbor press.    Could have used a socket and some gentle tapping.  Did one a year or so ago the same way still works....

• Like 2

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, pullstart said:

Here's the thread:

@pfrederi is correct.

I realized later I was not thinking of a stock Kohler carb when I asked about the reamer. I have a Briggs and Stratton carb somewhere that would need to be reamed if that one needed a bushing.

I installed the bushings with a vice once and a hammer and locating pin on the other. 

• Like 1

pfrederi

Been getting some work done on "Ugly Charger"  Just picked up a hood from AtoZ but this is not painting weather it will have to wait until spring.  Came with a K341 which I had overhauled .010 over and .010 under on crank. Added Hydro lift.  Haven't decided what her duties will be yet so i haven't decided to go manual or electric PTO. 

Before and now

IMG_0230 (2).JPG

IMG_0232 (2).JPG

IMG_0361.JPG

IMG_0362.JPG

IMG_0364.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 6

Pullstart

Paul that looks fantastic, but the second picture should have come with warning!

• Haha 3

MikMacMike
3 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Been getting some work done on "Ugly Charger"  Just picked up a hood from AtoZ but this is not painting weather it will have to wait until spring.  Came with a K341 which I had overhauled .010 over and .010 under on crank. Added Hydro lift.  Haven't decided what her duties will be yet so i haven't decided to go manual or electric PTO. 

Before and now

IMG_0230 (2).JPG

IMG_0232 (2).JPG

IMG_0361.JPG

IMG_0362.JPG

IMG_0364.JPG

Hahahah your right the second pic should be on the calender but specifically the holloweeny month hehehehh..... Its sure lookin good thopugh.....I sure would luv to get me hands on one of those electric clutches though dag nabber!

• Like 2

MikMacMike

I think its slower working on the Wheel Horse then on my 4x4 hahahah, Got everything on the engine, painted it, redid all the wireing except headlights, they will be when I get the bonnet back on. I pulled 1 whole cup of flacky rust out of the gas tank, threw a pound of nuts n washers in her and filled 3 times with vinager. So it'll be I hope ok till Ebinmaines tank gets here. Hi 5 Ebinmaine for the tank brother. I also I hope got the stator, rectifier, and fuse panel installed, I hope its all good or we may have quite the smoke show hahahaha, It was a bit challenging getting the fuse panel behind the dash too, but now if I blow a fuse I dont have to remove the gas tank, 4 screws and off the sah panel comes. Almost everything was soldered,heat shrinked, and covered with GM wireing harnes covers left over from previouse jobs. I grounded the battery in 2 places, right to the head near the coil, and a;so right under the gas tank to the tower part of the body. Rebuilt the carb, it was solid shelac from sitting all those years. I did notice that the intake runner on the block was smaller then the #30 carb. Just a bit concerned about that, Down the road Ill have to match port them together so there is a smooth transmission and good flow, besides Im going to add a 3 inch runner between the carb and block for more heat isolation and also for better atomization, should be good for an extra persentage of Tork and well ya harsepower even though I dont concern myself with HP usually. Cleaned out the combuston chamber, torked the head and will retork after I do a 1st run. At least now I can get back to the sheet metal work on the back, closing it in for the future roughly 5.8 gallon gas tank. Im hoping to weld that up in stainless, will see?? The snows all melted from a week of fall weather so I havnt had the snow pressuring, thank you mother nature, but I know its coming and no doupt this year we will prob get seriousely dumped on even though maw natures been holding off. Its slow butits all coming together.

image20191229_151441400[1].jpg

image20191229_151533124[1].jpg

image20191229_155440216[1].jpg

• Excellent 3

WVHillbilly520H

Got 2 snow plows (42" for the 315-8 and a 56" for the 520H) nearly ready for winter weather if it actually ever shows up here.

20191229_144723.jpg

20191229_141123_HDR.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tractorhead

Lookin good 

47 minutes ago, MikMacMike said:

image20191229_155440216[1].jpg

Lookin good so far Mike, but i would like to suggest, if your cabeling works, get a piece of wellflex pipe cut it on one side and put it arround at the cables close to the Steering shaft, to protect the cables a bit more against scratching.

at least few ziptie‘s does also the trick, but mice or martens didn‘t like the Wellflex pipe, it‘s a good trick to protect your cabeling.

My fail on the last car was, i forgotten to protect the Engine Controller Wires with that, so the Martens can „kill“ my Car.

On the actual i did it immediately and the result seems to be right.

you ain‘t buy it, if a scrapyard is near you, you can find in an robbed car, just a piece you can reuse.

with few tiezip‘s it will be fixed and you‘ll be fine.

284B8825-CFB4-4AF5-B135-D55FF1792F72.jpeg.77d007ca2305f669cb75b6148c44f034.jpeg

In the lower pic aside the Starter And under Fuseholder left side you can see what i mean.

behind the Steering hitch i also put them together into wellflex to protect.

Edited by Tractorhead
  • Like 1

MikMacMike

I didnt know what it was called, but I do have that wellflex through out everywhere else. Once the fuel tank is in the back under the seat, every bit of wire will be rerouted into a sealed box where the old gas tank sits....This is just temp for right now, not only because tank is being moved but I still have a ton of sheet metak work to do, both front..left and right side getting closed in and around where the gas tanks final resting place in the back, I plan on also making a sheet metal cab so there will be alot of over head wireing to be dun in the cab too, all guages are being reouted over the windshield, plus a wiper front and back. For now though it needs to be running for snow removal .......ahhhhhhh pressure hahahaha,  You did an excellent job on your beasty there, eventually I hope to have mine far neater then it is. What tractor is that one? Looks so clean bruther.

• Thanks 2

Tractorhead
31 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Got 2 snow plows (42" for the 315-8 and a 56" for the 520H) nearly ready for winter weather if it actually ever shows up here.

20191229_144723.jpg

20191229_141123_HDR.jpg

Frustrating, same like here, all is prepared and ready to try but no Snow...😎👍

• Excellent 1

MikMacMike
1 minute ago, Tractorhead said:

Frustrating, same like here, all is prepared and ready to try but no Snow...😎👍

Hahahahaha I hear ya, if I wasnt so knee deep in trying to just get it usable Id be in the same horse heheheh, Blowing the snow right back maw nature with a beer in my hand.....big storms Ill go all day non stop cuz well it a wheel horse right, heheheh and yes the beer tasts good too, hi 5. Dont you worry they are still predicting higgher then avg snow accumulation....hard to believe!!!

• Haha 2

The Tuul Crib
3 minutes ago, MikMacMike said:

Hahahahaha I hear ya, if I wasnt so knee deep in trying to just get it usable Id be in the same horse heheheh, Blowing the snow right back maw nature with a beer in my hand.....big storms Ill go all day non stop cuz well it a wheel horse right, heheheh and yes the beer tasts good too, hi 5. Dont you worry they are still predicting higgher then avg snow accumulation....hard to believe!!!

Hey I've been prepared for the last two years for snow and I'm still waiting:angry-tappingfoot:

but the beer is still cold LOL!

we are having the fifth wettest winter

here in Tennessee! Been raining all day

• Haha 3

ebinmaine

I keep telling all you screwballs that say you don't have enough snow to come on up to Maine. We will fix you up.

• Haha 4