Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Day nine of rain. 

Wow. You can't get rid of it and we can't find it......

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

MainelyWheelhorse

Today, I got my plow put on this pig, and swapped the right front tire as the one I swapped to, had a medium air leak. It gave you just enough time to start something then it goes flat. Besides that I’ve been running it steady to clean it out and the start issue seems to be a safety switch issue as you jiggle the PTO and it starts. Unfortunately, the rust that welds bolts and screws into their holes has been an issue. the two spots for safety switches have seized bolts over them but that’s tomorrow’s project. On a side note, I’ve become a big fan of Kohler after having my two tractors.

IMG_1392.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, MainelyWheelhorse said:

On a side note, I’ve become a big fan of Kohler after having my two tractors.

Glad to hear!!

That'll only get better as you work them.  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

8ntruck

I put the mulching plate on Morgan, the 14-8, this afternoon and muted the lawn.  I noticed that about 1/3 of the leaves were being blown out of the right front of the deck, making me make extra passes to reduce the leaves into bits and pieces.

When I started the engine, some shredded blue paper shop towel came blowing out of the right side of the engine.  Since I still had good cooling airflow and the temperature was 60degrees, I went ahead and mowed.  Before I put the tractor away, I pulled a couple of the engine tins and cleaned everything out with an air hose.  Think I'll putsome mouse traps around the roll of shop towels.

We took the pontoon out for the last 'cruise' of the season around the lake.  October looks to be busy enough that we've got to pull the boat and dock early this year - that means some dock hauling work for Morgan tomorrow.

• Like 4

kpinnc
4 hours ago, MainelyWheelhorse said:

I’ve become a big fan of Kohler

Just keep them full of clean oil, and they run forever. 

Good to see you’re enjoying that tractor. Welcome to the sickness! :thumbs:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

kpinnc
2 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Think I'll putsome mouse traps around the roll of shop towels.

I believe that if you hung tractors from the ceiling, the mice would still try to make a nest in them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

BBQVultureWings

So, today I finally got to where I could & very much need to get this under way. Hooked up a battery to it & starter was not cooperating. Tore the starter all apart. cleaned the Comutator, brushes & about 30 years worth of snot, dust & grime from the spiral splines.... got things moving freely again & well it took right off like it should. Starts & runs like a top. Bigest problem is no Forward or reverse.... started to take things apart to inverstigate & ran out of daylight.... more tomorrow 

• Like 3

Bar Nuthin

Just starting on my first Wheel Horse, a 1976 C-120 Automatic. I need to do better with focusing on one thing at a time.

Today...

1. Picked up used mower deck for $25 for potential donor parts. Pleasantly surprised to find it had like new blades on it!
  2. Replaced air filter
  3. Changed engine oil
  4. Changed hydraulic oil and filter
  5. Replaced an incorrect ignition switch and replaced a bunch of incorrect wiring. Shocked to find that everything worked, including the ammeter! 
  6. Reinstalled fuel tank and test started
  7. Discovered that the outer PTO bearing was shot. Ordered one from NAPA

IMG_2227.jpg.63b119e63cdeb13d6f2de15e4f8ac67c.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 4

WHX??
9 hours ago, kpinnc said:

I believe that if you hung tractors from the ceiling, the mice would still try to make a nest in them. 

Wadda ya know about that @Pullstart:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Pullstart
11 hours ago, kpinnc said:

2 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Wadda ya know about that @Pullstart:lol:

I’m not sure they have figured out how to climb steel walls yet…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

MainelyWheelhorse
15 hours ago, kpinnc said:

Just keep them full of clean oil, and they run forever. 

Good to see you’re enjoying that tractor. Welcome to the sickness! :thumbs:

@kpinnc Ok, Thanks, I’ve already made a list on Wheelhorse Parts and More. I also looked at the decals on Redo Your Horse for it. so I think I’ve got a good case of it. 😁

Edited by MainelyWheelhorse
  • Like 3
  • Heart 1

Treepep

MAINTENANCE.  my favorite.  Fresh oil, fuel filter, fuel lines. Clean inspect.  Get greasy!

PXL_20240919_203009610.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, Pullstart said:

I’m not sure they have figured out how to climb steel walls yet…

Frogs Feet Suction Cups | informacionpublica.svet.gob.gt Watch for these guys.  They leave a sticky mess of eggs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Handy Don

My son felt his 312-H (Magnum) was “running rich.”  It was.

The foam pre-filter was totally clogged and the inner filter was nearly done. Replaced both.

With them off, though, noticed that the choke butterfly wasn’t fully opening. Repositioned the end “Z” to one of the arm holes closer to the shaft and adjusted the position of the housing in the clamp. Full control restored!

Also adjusted the idle speed up from about 650 (yeah, it was just putt-putting!) up to 1,000

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 3

8ntruck

We got the windshield replaced in the minivan and got the pontoon out of the lake.  Next task was to pull the dock out of the lake.

Grabbed Morgan, the 14-8, hitched him to the trailer, and drove down to the lake.  Waded out and wrassled the end section to shore and up onto the trailer.  Fired Morgan up to haul the deck section to the winter storage location, slid the Trans into 2nd, eased the clutch out and ---- nothing!  Tried a different gear, still no movement.  Initial trouble shooting shows that the belt and input pulley are turning.  Could not tell if the input shaft was turning or not.  

Well, the dock has to come out today.  The C-195 is on the disabled list for an oil leak I have not had a chance to chase down yet and the AC B-110 is buried deep in one of the storage sheds.  Pulled the rest of the dock, piled it in the front yard, and will address the tractor issues tomorrow and get the dock sections to proper winter storage.

The input pulley was loose axially on the shift, so I am expecting to find that the set screw and probably the key have gone AWOL.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

WHX??
4 hours ago, Handy Don said:

(yeah, it was just putt-putting!)

Hope you schooled him on splash lube...

• Like 1

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Also adjusted the idle speed up from about 650 (yeah, it was just putt-putting!) up to 1,000

6 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Hope you schooled him on splash lube...

And air cooled....

• Like 2

kpinnc
On 10/1/2024 at 1:38 PM, ebinmaine said:

Wow. You can't get rid of it and we can't find it......

I would have loved to send you a tanker full from the past month! :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ed Kennell

Watched the sun rise.....first time in 10 days.        May be able to mow this afternoon.

• Like 3

lynnmor
26 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Watched the sun rise.....first time in 10 days.        May be able to mow this afternoon.

I'll be making hay as well, Amish said to throw the clippings over the fence for the cows.

• Like 3

Damien Walker

As it is now leaf collection time, I thought I'd try the 520 LXI and quiet collector.....

The first problem is that the collector is driven from the mower deck so the only way to collect leaves with it, is to mow them and hoover them up as a side effect. The second problem is that I was operating in the dark and the tractor has a lamp on the dashboard to warn you that the cutters are running. IT IS TOO DARN BRIGHT!! Why on earth do I need a dazzling light on the dashboard to tell me something I already know? I couldn't see where I was going! It has to go, or be significantly dimmed like the nav system in the car when the headlights are on.

Whilst I'm grumbling about this dashboard mounted search light, I find the red reverse warning lamp rather entertaining too. It illuminates when I'm going backwards....but oddly enough I'm also looking backwards at this time so I don't get to experience the pleasure of seeing this lamp illuminate. Health and safety madness I fear.

Having said all that, it did a reasonable job on the leaves on my granite sett drive, very much assisted by the 520LXI's very good headlights and fantastic turning circle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ed Kennell

I use black tape to cover all the useless  tire pressure  warning lights on my truck.   I adjust my tire pressure (20-70 PSI) for the load and driving condition.

46 minutes ago, Damien Walker said:

light on the dashboard to tell me something

Don't need a light to tell me when I have a flat tire.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

SylvanLakeWH
23 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

I use black tape to cover all the useless  tire pressure  warning lights on my truck.   I adjust my tire pressure (20-70 PSI) for the load and driving condition.

Don't need a light to tell me when I have a flat tire.

What!?!?!? :scared-eek: :angry-nono:

I hope you realize risk you are taking young man... :angry-tappingfoot:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ed Kennell
5 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

What!?!?!? :scared-eek: :angry-nono:

I hope you realize risk you are taking  young man... :angry-tappingfoot:

:text-yeahthat:      :thanks:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

MainelyWheelhorse

Today, I had a dentist appointment so I got some 90wt gear oil while I was in town. After I went to Norm the neighborhood small engine guy and got some shift knobs for the new tractor as the gearshift one was missing. To finish off the day when I got home I drained the tapioca colored diff oil and with the assistance of my nephew Austin and filled it up. Maintenance and parts replacement today, no pics.

No indicator lights whatsoever on the old 308, no gauges either. The 312 is a different story.

Edited by MainelyWheelhorse
  • Like 3