Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Wheel-N-It
8 minutes ago, Colby G said:

That's a bad to the bone wheel horse! Beautiful truck btw

Thank you Colby :handgestures-thumbupright:  Notice that I upsized the stack (as it goes vertical) from 1" steel pipe to 1&1/4"  steel. I thought that would be a nice upgrade. 

• Like 2

oliver2-44
47 minutes ago, Wheel-N-It said:

Do you guys have any suggestions on anything I could do better before the final assembly? I'm open to suggestions :wh:

753_STACK.jpg

Possible add a support to the pipe to take the weight and wobble forces of the exhaust flange. 
Nice 65 Ford, I had a 66 years ago. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wheel-N-It
12 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

Possible add a support to the pipe to take the weight and wobble forces of the exhaust flange. 
Nice 65 Ford, I had a 66 years ago. 

Yes, thank you. I've thought about a support of some kind as well. The stack itself is a little heavy, I'll see what I can some up with.

Also thank you for the good words on my truck. It runs every bit as good as it looks. It's powered by a 240 cubic inch straight 6, and has a three speed transmission still on the column.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, Wheel-N-It said:

stack itself is a little heavy, I'll see what I can some up with.

I ran a piece of flat stock steel down to a frame hole.  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Wheel-N-It
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I ran a piece of flat stock steel down to a frame hole.  

Eric, can you post a pic of that for me? 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Wheel-N-It said:

Eric, can you post a pic of that for me? 

The top attachment point is a correctly sized exhaust clamp. You can see the ends of it where it's laying sideways and going through the bracket.

The bottom just goes through the bolt at the back of the bracket for the chipper there. Right against the frame.

IMG_20230811_100455.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Wheel-N-It

@ebinmaine    Eric, thank you for the pic.. I took a piece of right angle aluminum and held it up to the head pipe, and down to the frame like yours. Also looking at instead of connecting to the frame, maybe connecting to the engine block.  The 753 is not a worker for me, so I have some time to experiment.  I've even give some thought to clamping off to the stack instead of the head pipe. No telling what I'll come up with but its nice to have a starting point, and I'll use your set up as a measuring stick :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

Pullstart

Shift work, hard work, lookin’ this good!

93A139C5-92C5-4467-8014-EE046E779047.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 7
  • Heart 1

cleat

I can lift the aluminum Onan's onto the bench fairly easily, but the cast iron 12HP Kohler in the 312 was heavier and yes I had a sore back for a couple of days after lifting it.

Stupid thing is that I have both an engine crane and a tractor with a loader and still tend to lift these engines by hand.

• Haha 5

kpinnc
3 hours ago, cleat said:

Stupid thing is that I have both an engine crane and a tractor with a loader and still tend to lift these engines by hand.

Oh I built one specifically for such things, and didn't use it. :blink:

IMG_20230503_202927519.jpg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart

@Wheel-N-It Van here are some pictures of my stack brace.  I used 1/2” square tube, smashed into a flange at the block. For the pipe clamp, I used n old racer’s clamp trick.  Weld a couple 1/4” tubes to a sleeve, then cut the sleeve and tubes sectionally.  I also TIG welded the 90 degree elbow to the 3/4” pipe to prevent it from rotating.  A good quality conduit lock nut could do the same job.

Ultimately, I imagine we have about the same weight to support, your heavy pipe and my Cherry Bomb.

CD9847DC-E9AA-495B-9363-5562FC7C7D53.jpeg

41756F2E-75F5-4ECC-903E-9327FFFBEFB1.jpeg

765C9404-1D30-432C-93EE-7361E72FA930.jpeg

8D018108-81D0-4596-8E5F-A52C44B0DE0F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4
  • Heart 1

squonk
On 8/6/2023 at 10:34 AM, Sparky said:

CRUD!! The wheels are perfect…and I thought the tires were as well so I skipped (cheaped out) on tubes. 
  Apparently the tires are NOT perfect. Both have issues :blink:!  Now I have to break em down and install tubes. 
  First guy to tell me that I shoulda put tubes in right from the start gets a 30 day suspension from Red Square .. :lol: :lol:

IMG_9337.jpeg

IMG_9344.jpeg

Your nice new tubes will be right thru those sidewalls before ya know it! Should bought new tires and skipped the tubes! 

• Like 1

squonk
On 8/10/2023 at 9:46 PM, Wheel-N-It said:

Hey Everyone, I been MIA for a little bit as someone stole my Hyundai last week while I was at work. It has been found, and is at the repair shop waiting on a few parts to put it back together. 

Anyway, I've ben collecting a few parts (had to buy one) to put a stack on the 753. I still need a flippy cap, but this afternoon loose fitted everything together and here it is. Tell me what you think. I left the factory 45 degree fitting and short pipe nipple on it in case I ever want to go back with the original style muffler. The rest is Schedule 20 steel gas pipe fittings and a Schedule 20 gas pipe stack. Of course I still need to tighten everything up and paint it with some high temp paint. Do you guys have any suggestions on anything I could do better before the final assembly? I'm open to suggestions :wh:

753_STACK.jpg

Nice Tonka grader! :banana-linedance:

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
23 hours ago, Wheelhorse#1 said:

Seat I found.... 

NIIIIICE 👍👍👍

• Like 2

squonk
On 8/6/2023 at 11:13 AM, Gasaholic said:

Nah... just fill 'em up with Great Stuff expanding foam (2-3 cans per tire) and let it cure a couple days, you got run-flats.  (Unfortunately, I HAVE seen that done by someone thinking they hit on a great idea... then wanted me to break down the tires and put on new tires & tubes... I told 'em it would be cheaper for them to buy whole new tires & rims than pay for my shop labor time to do it.) 

I think @wallfish tried that a few years ago with comical results! 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, squonk said:

Nice Tonka grader! :banana-linedance:

Good eye Mike!

Screenshot_20230813-124944.png.8ab8793df58f45160a7ce32d40551089.png

@Wheelhorse#1 looks like I have a mate to the red truck on my own shelf!

IMG_20230813_125035_HDR.jpg.ce40cdd76f3ee37398008ba5d5521ad2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

Gasaholic

Got my '74 36" RD Deck torn down today to replace the 3 bearings. everything came apart a lot more easily than I had expected. I was prepared to go hunting for new pulleys (cast iron double-d) and just a little finesse and lots of kroil, they slid right off! Yay! 

Now to run over to the local car shop tomorrow and borrow his shop press to replace my bearings, new 5188 bolts on order coming next week for the new gage wheels, clean and coat the deck (Mo-deck) and I should have my C-100 mowing again. (Mows much better than that 2014 Columbia/MTD does, and that POS needs a bit of work on it, as it is starting to show its age, have to have deck lifted to the next to highest notch to get a normal cut height, when it used to sit at the middle notch... Plus, maybe surprisingly, maybe not, that 20 HP Kohler Courage uses more gas than my C-100 for the same work, despite the deck size difference.... 10 HP Kohler is just so efficient... and actually has MORE power than that 20 HP. ) 

20230813_124623.jpg

20230813_124644.jpg

20230813_124652.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

WHX??
22 minutes ago, squonk said:

Should bought new tires and skipped the tubes! 

Now where did you put that 30 day suspension Sparky ?!?! :lol:

• Haha 3

wallfish
30 minutes ago, squonk said:

I think @wallfish tried that a few years ago with comical results! 

Ha

Yeah, I foamed a small walk behind snow blower tire a while ago. It worked for about 2 years then got flat on the bottom! LoL BUT,  the foam keeps it like that so it can be flat on the top too. I forgot to prop it up to take the weight off when sitting for a while.

Forget exactly what I did but opened something or poked a hole in it or something before it was completely cured and that $@!t spit out and splattered everywhere

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Wheel-N-It
2 hours ago, Pullstart said:

@Wheel-N-It Van here are some pictures of my stack brace.  I used 1/2” square tube, smashed into a flange at the block. For the pipe clamp, I used n old racer’s clamp trick.  Weld a couple 1/4” tubes to a sleeve, then cut the sleeve and tubes sectionally.  I also TIG welded the 90 degree elbow to the 3/4” pipe to prevent it from rotating.  A good quality conduit lock nut could do the same job.

Ultimately, I imagine we have about the same weight to support, your heavy pipe and my Cherry Bomb.

41756F2E-75F5-4ECC-903E-9327FFFBEFB1.jpeg

Hey now Kevin, that's pretty slick!!!  Those old Racers tricks are battle tested and approved :handgestures-thumbupright:

BTW, did you know that " Racecar " spelled backwards is " Racecar " ?   :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7