Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

peter lena

@SylvanLakeWH  good for you ! is that an overhead battery tender set up ? have one on each of my horses  , makes a battery set up , a simple plug in anytime .  pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH
Just now, peter lena said:

@SylvanLakeWH  good for you ! is that an overhead battery tender set up ? have one on each of my horses  , makes a battery set up , a simple plug in anytime .  pete

Yes it is. Have two for the rear horses and from the side for the 2 front ones that are under the garage door (can't do overhead when door is open...)

With 3 electric tractors and one gas, I have tenders / chargers for all 4...

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@SylvanLakeWH   DON,T BE STEALING MY IDEAS !  just kidding , like to make a problem / issue  into a solid preformer ,also have long battery life with similar everstart batterys .  good for you , pete

• Like 2

19richie66
1 hour ago, Rick3478 said:

Yeah the rotary Frigidaires were great in the day.  And of course GM owned Frigidaire, so they weren't really available to other makers.

@squonk They used the A-6 compressors on the old monorails. I remember seeing piles of them in the scrap metal bin. They did work good though. 

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 2

squonk
2 hours ago, Rick3478 said:

Yeah the rotary Frigidaires were great in the day.  And of course GM owned Frigidaire, so they weren't really available to other makers.

Ford started buying them from GM for a bit until downsizing came along.

D_Mac

Cleaned up the 48 for the 310-8. I will install it later in the week.

20230704_124957.jpg

20230704_125008.jpg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

davem1111
22 hours ago, Wheel-N-It said:

Thinking about it, maybe our Wheel Horse hobby is somewhat of a time machine for us here on Red Square. 

I agree. I love working on these machines that are relatively simple but well-built.  I miss working on the '65 Mustang, '70 Chevelle, and numerous other cars and motorcycles I had from around those years.  I remember with the Mustang, the Chevelle, and several trucks from that time, I could climb in and sit on the wheel well hump while doing a complete tune-up with a timing light, feeler gauge and some simple tools, and in a pretty short time.  Using OBD II code readers and stuff like that isn't so bad, but I do miss the simpler times. We have sensors to monitor the sensors... it's gotten crazy. After I retire, if I can afford it, I'm hoping to get an old 'Stang or Camaro or something like that to tinker with. Something to take out cruising the town square on Saturday night... but, not too late....:sleeping-yellow:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Evguy
10 minutes ago, davem1111 said:

I agree. I love working on these machines that are relatively simple but well-built.  I miss working on the '65 Mustang, '70 Chevelle, and numerous other cars and motorcycles I had from around those years.  I remember with the Mustang, the Chevelle, and several trucks from that time, I could climb in and sit on the wheel well hump while doing a complete tune-up with a timing light, feeler gauge and some simple tools, and in a pretty short time.  Using OBD II code readers and stuff like that isn't so bad, but I do miss the simpler times. We have sensors to monitor the sensors... it's gotten crazy. After I retire, if I can afford it, I'm hoping to get an old 'Stang or Camaro or something like that to tinker with. Something to take out cruising the town square on Saturday night... but, not too late....:sleeping-yellow:

I’m in agreement, I just bought a dune buggy to play with, 1967 based car seems so much easier to work on. No computers, no sensors, probably doesn’t have a semiconductor anywhere. 
I’m going back to the old days when I messed with air cooled engines.

• Like 3

mrc

just changed a blend door motor/actuator in a 2011 chevy impala.    luckily it was one of the ones behind the glove box. had to reprogram the system after replacing.   what rocket scientist thought of this crap!  give me a sliding lever with coat hanger style rod on the back of it to go from defroster to warm feet.

• Like 3

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Regal Red for the blower

Niiiiice 

• Like 1

johnnymag3

And the inside this morning.

RED IT IS !!!!!!!!     :thumbs:

• Like 1

Stormin

Not mine but my mates in Scotland. Went over there today as usual for Thursday. He has a C-125 for trailer duties and runs sweet when cold but when hot rather rough.

This morning we removed the carb' to give it a clean out. But the float bowl was spotless and jets clear. What we did find was the absence of a gasket between carb' and engine. My diagnosis is the carb' is getting hot and effecting the fuel. I'll see if I have a spare gasket and if not I'll make one. I have various thickness's of gasket material and use a thickish one. See how it goes next week.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

Handy Don
11 minutes ago, Stormin said:

diagnosis is the carb' is getting hot and effecting the fuel

Exactly. You probably have noticed that the gasket between the air filter housing and the carb is thin but between the carb and the block it’s thick. Heat conductivity. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Tractorhead

@Stormin use the thickest material you have aside.

in metric i would use 1,5-2mm thickness at least.

as Don allready mentioned it affects, especially after a long therm run with high rpm

or even a longer idle phase.

• Like 3

Tractorhead

For some carbs are plastic spacers available. Maybe you find one that fits.

• Like 2

ranger
14 hours ago, Stormin said:

I have various thickness's of gasket material and use a thickish one.

I can’t remember, (without going and looking) whether or not there is a spacer fitted for heat isolation? If you’re making new gaskets, a soft thicker material can cause distortion of the carb flange, due to heat and over tightening. (seen this numerous times on old British motorbikes etc).  Cork gaskets can be the worst! Is the air filter clean/dirty? If the air flow through the carb is restricted, the cooling effect can be compromised. Does the C125 have the muffler under the hood? One  of the first things I did to my C121 and C161 was to change to an exhaust stack, due to the huge amount of heat under the hood, in close proximity to the carb. It also moved a large heat source away from the mower drive belts, + air supply to carb is slightly cooler. My C161 muffler is huge in comparison to the C121 and Raider 10 ones!

• Like 1

Stormin
3 hours ago, ranger said:

I can’t remember, (without going and looking) whether or not there is a spacer fitted for heat isolation? If you’re making new gaskets, a soft thicker material can cause distortion of the carb flange, due to heat and over tightening. (seen this numerous times on old British motorbikes etc).  Cork gaskets can be the worst! Is the air filter clean/dirty? If the air flow through the carb is restricted, the cooling effect can be compromised. Does the C125 have the muffler under the hood? One  of the first things I did to my C121 and C161 was to change to an exhaust stack, due to the huge amount of heat under the hood, in close proximity to the carb. It also moved a large heat source away from the mower drive belts, + air supply to carb is slightly cooler. My C161 muffler is huge in comparison to the C121 and Raider 10 ones!

There should be a spacer fitted. Checked on my C-125. Did think of cork sandwiched between two gaskets of pipe flange material. But as you say, Doug, distortion could occur. Air filter is practically new and it has the standard exhaust under the bonnet. (We are English you know. :D) I doubt very much I will be able to get a spacer over here. Maybe have a word with Squonk.

• Like 1

squonk

Kohler # 4704901(S) Phenolic spacer with thin gasket on each side

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Stormin

Found on of the headlights on the C-125 was hanging off. Two of the securing clips had broken. Now the chances of replacing them will be zero over here. Can't see how you can really. Looking at them I wondered of they would turn round. Nothing to lose, so a pair of pliars, (English spelling), were brought into play. Luck was with me and they did turn 180  degrees.P1040561.JPG.6f3be667034d662b8bb4c7719e9d5914.JPG

Head light secured once more.

Edited by Stormin
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 5

SylvanLakeWH

Added some washers to tighten up the linkages on the A-60 Electric. Smoother and less rattles...

IMG_2388.jpeg

IMG_2389.jpeg

IMG_2264.jpeg

• Excellent 3

rjg854
12 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

All back together and ready for a blizzard.  :occasion-snowman:

104_2152.JPG.9af36418e8beb89884c1160522cef004.JPG104_2151.JPG.f5941bc1e3061374e5be65bae3da70d9.JPG

Have you gotten enough snow in the last couple of years to need that blower :eusa-think::teasing-poke:

• Like 1