Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Wheel-N-It
7 minutes ago, Achto said:

They almost had to recall all the cars after they moved the dimmer switch to the steering column. Too many blondes were getting their foot caught in the steering wheel when they tried to dim the lights.:lol:

Yep, there was a bit of a learning curve LOL. 

• Excellent 1

WHX??
10 minutes ago, Achto said:

They almost had to recall all the cars after they moved the dimmer switch to the steering column. Too many blondes were getting their foot caught in the steering wheel when they tried to dim the lights.:lol:

My gut hurts again! 

• Haha 2

Evguy

I remember those days, column shift 3 on the tree, no air conditioning mostly. Foot dimmer,25 cent gas…oops showing my age.

• Like 7
  • Heart 1

Wheel-N-It
4 minutes ago, Evguy said:

I remember those days, column shift 3 on the tree, no air conditioning mostly. Foot dimmer,25 cent gas…oops showing my age.

No worries. It's ok to show your age here :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

D_Mac

So I removed the sediment bowl from the 875 today. Replaced it less the 2 yrs ago. Was leaking like crazy again. I strongly recommend never installing one unless you want to  change them every other year. 875 is back in action. 

20230703_182900.jpg

20230703_182856.jpg

20230703_182940.jpg

20230610_095132.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

Rick3478
2 hours ago, Evguy said:

We didn't need air conditioning when you could tilt a vent window to bring in as much fresh air as you wanted.  And the A/C systems were pretty unreliable and sucked a lot of engine power, unless you had a Caddy or Merc with a big block engine it didn't make sense.  GM then ruined everything with their Astro Ventilation, which was really poor at bringing in fresh air and forced more people to buy the A/C option, and other makers followed this stroke of marketing "genius".  In only a couple years simple, reliable vent windows were gone.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, D_Mac said:

So I removed the sediment bowl from the 875 today. Replaced it less the 2 yrs ago. Was leaking like crazy again. I strongly recommend never installing one unless you want to  change them every other year. 

Do you use Non ethanol gas? 

peter lena

@Rick3478 living large back in the day was my turn for the 10" oscelating  fan!  having 3 sisters , had to go thru them first to get to my time. just the slightest breeze in the house , was living large . another time zone , pete

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

Achto
10 hours ago, Evguy said:

I remember those days, column shift 3 on the tree, no air conditioning mostly. Foot dimmer,25

No AC??? My '70 Impala had genuine GM 4-60 AC. 4 windows down at 60MPH. Open the floor vents & it was a regular whirl wind in there.:D

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Rob J.

Learned to drive in a 63 Impala straight six with 3 on the tree and yeah it had a dimmer switch on the floor too. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

D_Mac
46 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Do you use Non ethanol gas? 

Always and Stabilizer

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, D_Mac said:

Always and Stabilizer

Interesting.   

I do realize that the sediment bowls are well known for leaking. 

Seems like there would be a better life span than 2 years.  

D_Mac

I think because the petcock is so small the rubber grommet dosnt hold up. If you never turn the gas on and off it would last forever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

squonk

60-70's AC. Nothing  beat the Frigidaire A-6 compressors on GM products. You could hang meat in a Caddy Fleetwood Brougham! Fords and Chryslers  pretty much sucked eggs with those big ugly York compressors hanging off the front

• Excellent 1

Evguy
1 hour ago, Achto said:

No AC??? My '70 Impala had genuine GM 4-60 AC. 4 windows down at 60MPH. Open the floor vents & it was a regular whirl wind in there.:D

Yep, 4/60 air with vent windows and floor vents, I was too young and poor to have a car with air conditioning.

Most of the time it wasn’t bad in Michigan, but when I moved farther south I looked for a car with AC.

I wish today’s cars would vent like the older cars.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

squonk

Nothing like opening the floor vent the first time in the spring and getting a crap load of leaves and acorns blowing all over inside! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Handy Don
18 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

my generally poor demeanor along with some pretty fair to reasonable coffee

FWIW, my experience has been the exact opposite :lol: 

:hide:

• Haha 1

Handy Don
11 hours ago, D_Mac said:

So I removed the sediment bowl from the 875 today. Replaced it less the 2 yrs ago. Was leaking like crazy again. I strongly recommend never installing one unless you want to  change them every other year. 875 is back in action. 

What leaked? 

The bowl-to-body gasket is easily replaced (I cut one from fuel-tolerant material bought on the jungle site).

The valve seal is a simple o-ring compressed with the cap.

The fittings can be sealed with a small length of teflon tape.

• Like 2

squonk

I sold more sediment bowl gaskets at Napa than I could count. 

Sediment bowls are French for "Gas Leak"  Whoever was the first person to patent them stole the idea from Joseph Lucas! 

• Haha 3

Wvtroutbum81

Put stainless hardware in the dash, adjusted deck height front to back and shimmed the front wheels.

IMG_1261.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

8ntruck

You pretty much need to have owned something with Lucas electrics in it to fully appreciate @squonk statement.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Rick3478
3 hours ago, squonk said:

60-70's AC. Nothing  beat the Frigidaire A-6 compressors on GM products. You could hang meat in a Caddy Fleetwood Brougham! Fords and Chryslers  pretty much sucked eggs with those big ugly York compressors hanging off the front

Yeah the rotary Frigidaires were great in the day.  And of course GM owned Frigidaire, so they weren't really available to other makers.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Finished prepping the C-105 for snow plow duty. Winch attached. @peter lena red tacky and tightened up all the linkages... greasy smooth... 

IMG_2381.jpeg

IMG_2382.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

D_Mac

Leaked at the petcock, not the bowl. They arnt worth the Hassel in my opinion. 

RandyLittrell

Replaced the 7 year old walmart battery in my 310. Think I got my money out of it!  It was even the 230cca one. 

IMG_20230704_122202567.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2